Nachlösewagen Meaning?

The beiwagen in my Roco DB 798/998 railbus set has a blue placard in the window with the words:

"Nachlösewagen

Fahrkartenverkauf".

While Google Translate tells me this is "Replacement Car- Ticket Sales" in English, does anyone know what, in practice, this actually means?

Google, in this case, has only been my friend to a rather limited degree, yielding a few pictures of models displaying the placards, which is nice but doesn't tell me "why"...Fahrkartenverkauf seems straightforward enough, but Replacement...for what? Or has something been lost in translation? 

There's also a pair of similar placards on the set of transfers which came with my recently acquired bogie Umbauwagen, which I've fitted (in for a penny...) rather than an inappropriate destination board. 

If anyone could kindly answer this small conundrum, I would be most grateful. 

Simon. 

Edited by SimonHMT

In diesem Wagen ist ständig ein Schaffner anwesend,
bei dem Fahrkarten Zuschlagsfrei nachgelöst werden konnten...

Gruss

Fred

There is always a conductor present in this carriage,
from whom tickets can be purchased without a surcharge...

There were (at least temporarily) unmanned stations on the routes typically served by rail buses. In order to treat passengers boarding there fairly, they could buy a paper ticket in the "Nachlösewagen". 

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Nachlösen is the purchase of a ticket in the train. So this special carriage had obviously the conductor in it where you could buy the ticket if you didn't have the possibility to do that at the station. 

No fear, also I didn't know what it is as this is an expression which isn't used in Austria (where I was born) but a native speaker (even with a few different expressions between countries) Google DE gave me the clue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks, Gentlemen! I did wonder whether it signified something similar to "Paytrain" on BR and its successors, but the combination of my lack of German language, and also of DB practice, made me feel less than confident of its actual meaning and use.

As my little H0 layout, Schinkendorf, depicts an unstaffed station on a truncated branch line, it seems the my use of both railbuses and coaches bearing the Nachlösewagen-Fahrkartenverkauf label will be entirely appropriate...

Kind regards to you both, 

Simon. 

• Like 2

"Lösen" is used for "to book" a ticket (among many other meanings!), and "nach" can mean "after", so it's kind of logical really.

As for Google Translate, it's surprisingly good most of the time (and better with more common language pairs), but the rest of the time it doesn't like saying "I'm not sure what this means", and instead guesses wildly. Trouble is, unless you know the answer already, you can't tell whether its translation is confident or a guess.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Some if not all the German local railways have now got round this problem by having a full sized ticket machine on the modern railcar/railbuses (such as on the Sud ThuringenBahn railcars

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

"Lösen" is used for "to book" a ticket (among many other meanings!), and "nach" can mean "after", so it's kind of logical really.

As for Google Translate, it's surprisingly good most of the time (and better with more common language pairs), but the rest of the time it doesn't like saying "I'm not sure what this means", and instead guesses wildly. Trouble is, unless you know the answer already, you can't tell whether its translation is confident or a guess.

Yes...I've just tried the two words separately through Google Translate; nach does indeed come up as after, but lösen in isolation translates as solve, which I guess makes sense, however entering lösen fahrkarten translates as buy tickets. 

11 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

Some if not all the German local railways have now got round this problem by having a full sized ticket machine on the modern railcar/railbuses (such as on the Sud ThuringenBahn railcars

On the train company for which I work, a commitment for the current franchise was to install ticket vending machines at all stations...on my home route, this includes Doleham and Three Oaks, both of which are former railmotor halts with one-car platforms. I can't help thinking that having TVMs on board trains might be more economical....having said that, all trains on the route must have conductors as the units are unsuitable for driver only operation! 

Simon. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...