The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Discouraging Cats

We have seven cats of our own and two fostered - they all have the run of the house and garden.

However, they are not welcome in my railway room - a separate brick built structure at the end of the garden - centrally heated for the winter and air-conditioned for the summer. However, there are times when I would like to work in there with just windows/doors open and the HVAC off - would one of those electronic/sconic devices work placed just inside the door ?

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

We have seven cats of our own and two fostered - they all have the run of the house and garden.

However, they are not welcome in my railway room - a separate brick built structure at the end of the garden - centrally heated for the winter and air-conditioned for the summer. However, there are times when I would like to work in there with just windows/doors open and the HVAC off - would one of those electronic/sconic devices work placed just inside the door ?

It might work.

You could also construct wooden frames with fly mesh to fit the open window and door apertures. This might discourage the mogs and also keep flying insects out!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you wouldn't have them in a railway room, sure they will nose about and explore a bit but in my experience they soon loose interest and go back to the house where they can have more fun scratching the furniture and digging the carpet up. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

I try to exclude our cats from the railway room, by making a point of keeping the door shut.  That proved inadequate as the dog can open the door by putting her weight on the door handle, and she's quite happy to oblige her feline friends !  So I had to resort to changing the mechanism to the sort used for bathrooms that can be locked by turning a catch. 

No, I've never found that any of the electronic or scent-related products deter cats.  As long as they can;t see anything to frighten them they are quite happy to explore anywhere.  Your best bet would be an infra-red operated garden sprinkler just outside the door of your outbuilding !

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It might work.

You could also construct wooden frames with fly mesh to fit the open window and door apertures. This might discourage the mogs and also keep flying insects out!

Fly screens are standard practice in Australian homes, to keep the flying insects out and moving air through. Usually aluminum framed, other materials are suitable.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That proved inadequate as the dog can open the door by putting her weight on the door handle

We had a dog that was taught to open doors for herself, later in order to keep her out of one room that handle was made to lift to open instead of press down. 

Andi

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

We had a dog that was taught to open doors for herself, later in order to keep her out of one room that handle was made to lift to open instead of press down. 

Andi

My wife trained one of our dogs to bark on the command of 'SPEAK', which turned him from a quiet dog, to a barker.

She told me to remind her, if she starts to train a future dog to speak, to not do so. I'll let you guess the outcome of that theory!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

When I read the thread title I imagined the cats were already in the railway room and giving you disdainful looks, as if to say "I wouldn't do it that way" or "is that the best you can do?"

I'd definitely keep them out.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Your best bet would be an infra-red operated garden sprinkler just outside the door of your outbuilding !

And have a prominent reminder to switch it off before you leave the building...

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hibelroad said:

in my experience they soon loose interest and go back to the house where they can have more fun scratching the furniture and digging the carpet up. 

We're talking about cats, here?  Furry things?  Four legs?  Bits of signal hanging from gaping maws? 😳

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, franciswilliamwebb said:

We're talking about cats, here?  Furry things?  Four legs?  Bits of signal hanging from gaping maws? 😳

They also like to hide in bridges and tunnels, and view trains as some species of mouse to bat at with their paws...

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I have a Miniature Schnauzer he likes nothing better than a good chase across the garden after next doors cats.

• Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you wouldn't have them in a railway room, sure they will nose about and explore a bit but in my experience they soon loose interest and go back to the house where they can have more fun scratching the furniture and digging the carpet up. 

They are actually reasonably well behaved in the house.

However, I've already had to repair/replace the OHLE in a couple of places & going to sleep on rolling stock is just not on - then of course there is the issue of when they hide & get shut in the inevitable presents left.

So, it's out of bounds to them.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I have a RSPB cat deterrer that seems to work, like anything you get what you pay for and the cheap ones are indeed rubbish. This one can work off a 12v supply so no issues with battery life.

I've checked their website but cannot find any information - do you have a link please ?

6 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

I have a Miniature Schnauzer he likes nothing better than a good chase across the garden after next doors cats.

It would be the other way round if it was my cat Tilly.  She keeps all the local dogs under her paw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Having looked at the cat photos in the "On Cats" thread, I'd suggest that many cats have discouraging expressions.....   Probably its because their "servants" are not doing as the cats wish!

I've pinched a recent contribution to illustrate what I mean...

image.png.9bbb8417086be24b974b5e89ca50f156.png.1a8be8eb48af75e5631c5f5af2e99b25.png

Definitely a discouraging cat!

Edited by Hroth
illustration
  • Like 1

I went for the cheapest one I could find (inc P&P) without a power supply - probably only ended up saving £2 at the end of the day however so getting one with the power supply is simpler. If you do go down the DIY power supply appproach the connection is via the PP3 battery clip so you have to fit a matching PP3 clip on the end of the supply wire but connect postive to the black wire and negative to the red. I forgot but thankfully it must have diode protection as once the supply was reversed it worked find.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Funny 1