6 Wheel coach stock W Irons construction

Hello - I am building some pre grouping 30ft coach stock.  Some are six wheelers.  My layout has reasonably tight radius.

Any ideas on the best way to articulate the W Irons so that I can navigate tight curves?  I model in S so everything gets scratch built but I am unsure on the best way forward.

My preference would be to have the trailing and leading axle on rocking W irons with an inner axle that slides - but should I also have the trailing axles on some sort of radial axle system so that they sit with the curvature of the rail?

Whatever I do I need to compensate the motion so that I dont have derailment with the proto sized flanges that we use in S.  

Any help appreciated

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold

On my own kits (GN) I use some sprung bearings on the ends and have the middle axle floating and retained by wire from one end. Attached are some basic instructions, these allow for only minimal movement of the middle axle, for tighter radius you fix the wire to the W iron at one end and solder to the axle carrier without extending it to the second (outer) W iron.

W Iron & 6 Wheel instructions.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Timber said:

Chris p bacon - thank you!  does the middle axle float or is it on a slider on the chassis...

I just let it float, I do load the carrier with some lead for weight.

• Thanks 1