4mm rail for track construction - sources down under

Has anyone down under found a good supplier for smallish quantities (10 m would be more than enough) of bullhead rail, preferably nickel silver? I've found a few DCC concepts stockists in Australia who have their stainless steel rail, but the consensus seems to be that NS is more beginner-friendly. I asked the St Kilda finescale society at the Adelaide show last weekend but the people at their layout hadn't bought any 4mm rail for some time, while the other exhibitors with handbuilt track all used flat-bottom rail.

Phoenix don't ship overseas, and C&L's postage cost to Australia is almost as much as a pack of rail (SMP say to ask them for a quote).

If I can't find a source of small quantities, I'll probably buy a 100m pack, since even if I decide I don't like making S&C it's marginally cheaper than  Peco H0 flexitrack and I can use it up on non-scenic track and wagon loads, but it would be nice to avoid spending quite so much up front.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Good luck. When I asked the same question of a chap doing track building demonstrations at our local show a few years ago, he looked at me as if i was an idiot and seemed reluctant to give a straight answer, which seemed a bit counter-productive.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Bittern said:

Has anyone down under found a good supplier for smallish quantities (10 m would be more than enough) of bullhead rail, preferably nickel silver? I've found a few DCC concepts stockists in Australia who have their stainless steel rail, but the consensus seems to be that NS is more beginner-friendly. I asked the St Kilda finescale society at the Adelaide show last weekend but the people at their layout hadn't bought any 4mm rail for some time, while the other exhibitors with handbuilt track all used flat-bottom rail.

Phoenix don't ship overseas, and C&L's postage cost to Australia is almost as much as a pack of rail (SMP say to ask them for a quote).

If I can't find a source of small quantities, I'll probably buy a 100m pack, since even if I decide I don't like making S&C it's marginally cheaper than  Peco H0 flexitrack and I can use it up on non-scenic track and wagon loads, but it would be nice to avoid spending quite so much up front.

It isn't easy. The problem is shipping parcels that are 3ft/1m long, which is very expensive.

I've always used SMP rail and track but I was able to have it shipped to my daughter in the UK so I could bring it back on a subsequent visit.

You could ask C&L and SMP whether they would chop the lengths in half, which should bring the shipping cost back to something more reasonable.

Be aware that C&L and SMP rail are slightly different profiles and only really fit their own gauges.

C&L offer half-lengths, but that only saves 20% on the postage compared to a bulk order of full lengths - probably because the parcel ends up being mostly protective packaging.

I was planning to use Templot's plug track as I have access to 3D printers at work, so either way I'd have to measure up the rail (unless someone else does it first) as Martin used EMGS rail for the default profile