New tooling Class 08/09

woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

If only the SFX version used a Kadee... ...they would have made a small fortune off me. Do need a BR black example though.

In terms of price to give some a little hope unless there is an absolute 'must' that you 'must' pre order I have some examples of recent Bachmann acquisitions:

35-412SFX Class 47 Lady Dianna Spencer RRP £369.95 - purchased in 2023 for £240

32-443SF Class 24/1 D5094 RRP £284.95 - purchased in 2024 for £160

This is just what I've actually purchased. There's plenty of offers than have tempted with 37SFX's under £250 recently. If you are patient then there will be sales on these mightily fine looking models.

They certainly do look to be the finest 08/09 shunters to date though I wouldn't be surprised if someone else also has a crack as it's certainly a prototype that can support multiple manufacturers. Until someone confirms that the kadee uncouplers (using the motor and thread) can be retrofitted though my older examples are safe as both Hornby and Bachmann models were fine examples both in detail and performance. Just the lighting that would have been nice to have but maybe that's a project now.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Do we think there will be any retailer special editions in this batch? I'm a bit underwhelmed, especially on the modern/preservation end of things.

Only one 09 with high-level pipes and its at the early end of its career.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Do we think there will be any retailer special editions in this batch? I'm a bit underwhelmed, especially on the modern/preservation end of things.

Well they can't do everything to please everyone all in one go I would have thought.  In fact I was slightly surprised by their almost Accurascale approach to variety in their initial release of various examples of the class.

As it happens I have minimal need for a 350 shunter (as they known in the times where my modelling interests lie) so while there is an example exactly right for me (for once!) I doubt I'll be biting - whatever the price.  Everyone to their own and plenty for others even if you're exact requirement isn't being met this time round.

Price is what it is and as already mentioned the RRP will exceed what most retailers will charge when the model is first released.  And might considerably exceed the price at which they'll be available once the initial rush, and reduction cap, have passed as retailers need to clear their shelves. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

15 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

To be fair, its not going to be easy to pick examples out of a fleet of 1000 with over 70 years of use in a handful of releases. I think its pretty safe to say these wont be the last 08/09s that Bachmann produce from the tooling.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

A banger blue and a railfreight example will more than suffice for me, both in the first batch. I will wait as I already have a couple of older Bachmann 08s but having the stay alive will be a great improvement, given the lack of space in the existing models. It was a bit of a squeeze getting the decoders in, I tell thee! The working lights is another big plus point for the nighttime running.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

In fact I was slightly surprised by their almost Accurascale approach to variety in their initial release of various examples of the class.

Completely agree with you there, I was surprised, and equally pleased to see such a broad range of examples available in the first batch.

Makes me wonder again if they know, or even strongly suspect something we don't about what's potentially soon to be released from elsewhere, and are getting as many irons in the fire early as they can.

Edited by Foden
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I wonder what the haulage capacity of these will be?

I would like to use the model (with the auto coupler) to do 'actual' shunting duties.

That will involve coupling up to sets of rolling stock held in cassettes (1.7m long), and transporting to / from an elevator.

The 30 / 31 might be needed if there is insufficient traction with 08/09, however the shunter would seem more appropriate!

Just done a haulage test with a Hornby 08. At 14 Bachmann coaches, I gave up adding. No problem from a standing start, albeit max gradient is 1:100. Hopefully the gearing and weight of the new Bachmann will be comparable.

The Hornby 08 I have, has sound fitted. It's got an ESU V4 decoder with very limited functionality. I guess it could be reblown and a better speaker fitted. However, if I start on it, no doubt lighting will have to be added, and of course a stay alive as a bit of 'sound stuttering' was evident.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I wonder what the haulage capacity of these will be?

I would like to use the model (with the auto coupler) to do 'actual' shunting duties.

That will involve coupling up to sets of rolling stock held in cassettes (1.7m long), and transporting to / from an elevator.

The 30 / 31 might be needed if there is insufficient traction with 08/09, however the shunter would seem more appropriate!

Can the older class 08 do what you want? I have a feeling the new 08 might be lighter than, the older model to fit all the new bits in lights uncoupler sound. Basing this on the old tooling  vs the new tooling Class 20s.. now I haven’t done a side by side pulling test to see if Bachmann have manage to do some voodoo on the new 20 to make up for the weight loss. But I imagine the older model can out pull the new one. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, farren said:

Can the older class 08 do what you want? I have a feeling the new 08 might be lighter than, the older model to fit all the new bits in lights uncoupler sound. Basing this on the old tooling  vs the new tooling Class 20s.. now I haven’t done a side by side pulling test to see if Bachmann have manage to do some voodoo on the new 20 to make up for the weight loss. But I imagine the older model can out pull the new one. 

I'm really after the auto coupler facilty to use remotely in the cassette fiddle yard / elevator. I haven't seen a tension lock auto coupler anywhere, but on the Bachmann models. Pity that they do not sell those systems separately, but of course that would do them no favours. Perhaps as spares in the future?

The alternative is to fit kadees instead of tension locks at the ends of each formation. Then these would be available as a retrofit from precimodels:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

I'm really after the auto coupler facility to use remotely in the cassette fiddle yard / elevator. I haven't seen a tension lock auto coupler anywhere, but on the Bachmann models. Pity that they do not sell those systems separately, but of course that would do them no favours. Perhaps as spares in the future?

These are not like popping in a Kadee or Hunt coupling into your NEM pocket. These are DCC operated, requiring additional wiring from decoder to coupling & even different coupling socket, because NEM pockets do not provide electrical connections.

The 31 & 08 will have a new design of coupling pocket, main board & extra wiring compared with older models.

Conversion kit would be a more suitable term than a spare & retro-fitting would be a very involved process. I doubt Bachmann would encourage it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

These are not like popping in a Kadee or Hunt coupling into your NEM pocket. These are DCC operated, requiring additional wiring from decoder to coupling & even different coupling socket, because NEM pockets do not provide electrical connections.

The 31 & 08 will have a new design of coupling pocket, main board & extra wiring compared with older models.

Conversion kit would be a more suitable term than a spare & retro-fitting would be a very involved process. I doubt Bachmann would encourage it.

Of course, not like popping in another coupling. However I suspect that most of the gubbins is external to the coupling pocket. That pocket should be interchangable, as that would make the alternative assembly at the factory more straight forward. Plus of course some wiring to do (no problemo). This is hypothetical as not offered as a retrofit.

image.png.51adfd0cf9f74c2073fa862b2bbce0bc.png

A micro electro-magnet is used to actuate the coupling hook, and I think the wires are just about visible. I am quite surprised this has not already come to the DCC market. Just the ticket for DCC Concepts I would have thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Of course, not like popping in another coupling. However I suspect that most of the gubbins is external to the coupling pocket. That pocket should be interchangable, as that would make the alternative assembly at the factory more straight forward. Plus of course some wiring to do (no problemo). This is hypothetical as not offered as a retrofit.

A micro electro-magnet is used to actuate the coupling hook, and I think the wires are just about visible. I am quite surprised this has not already come to the DCC market. Just the ticket for DCC Concepts I would have thought.

Ugly great thing, though - unless gizmos are more important than authentic appearance!

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Just reading the review of the 31 in Model Rail, this implies the auto coupler does use a standard NEM pocket, surprisingly.

EDIT - The review of the 31 in RM shows clearly that the auto coupler is a plug in unit much the same as any other NEM coupler, other then the flying lead with 2 way connector.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, John Isherwood said:

Ugly great thing, though - unless gizmos are more important than authentic appearance!

CJI.

I agree John. This loco would be kept to the fiddle yard for 'shunting' duties. Not for the scenic area.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

50 minutes ago, John Isherwood said:

CJI.

Anyone happy with tension couplings probably wouldn't mind. 

Those who use Kadees have had a good retrofit solution here...

• Like 3

I do think being a shunter Bachmann ought to have offered the autocoupler on a DCC ready version, only being available on the most expensive version makes it too expensive for me. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 40002 said:

I do think being a shunter Bachmann ought to have offered the autocoupler on a DCC ready version, only being available on the most expensive version makes it too expensive for me. 

On a DCC ready version there would be no easy  way of controlling the autocoupler.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

The expense doesn’t seem to have dampened peoples enthusiasm. all the BR  blue SFX models 08/09 have already sold out at rails, I shouldn’t have thought about it so much. So have ordered provincial and red stripe sfx, giving me time to decide which one I want, though could end with both. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, farren said:

The expense doesn’t seem to have dampened peoples enthusiasm. all the BR  blue SFX models 08/09 have already sold out at rails, I shouldn’t have thought about it so much. So have ordered provincial and red stripe sfx, giving me time to decide which one I want, though could end with both. 

I've read that the SFX versions seemed to sell out for previous models too. 

5 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

On a DCC ready version there would be no easy  way of controlling the autocoupler.

But they could do a non sound dcc fitted version, or make it clear that feature only works with dcc. 

• Agree 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, 40002 said:

But they could do a non sound dcc fitted version

They could. But they haven't. It's up to them if they do so in the future, not when you decide they should.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve also observed the SFX ones sell out and that’s a good thing for me as the middle spec one is often reduced quite early on and that’s the one I tend to go for. With previous releases, the silver windscreens would have been replaced with Laserglaze and I’m not fussed with rotatey fans. You still get SFX ones for a bargain price now and again and I may get an SFX 08 as and when nevertheless as the coupler looks fun to play with on a shunter. More so than the 31.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

They could. But they haven't. It's up to them if they do so in the future, not when you decide they should.

Not yet, but for a shunter this might be a logical offering in the future if they get enough requests. It's early days for this new addition to the specification and I am sure Bachmann will want to see how well it received.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, letterspider said:

Anyone happy with tension couplings probably wouldn't mind. 

Those who use Kadees have had a good retrofit solution here...

Anyone wanting to fit auto uncoupling via Kadees, here is a great video tutorial:

Now I wonder if that could be adapted to a modified tension lock coupling? Or order a new SFX 09 (which I have done 👍)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I think the autocoupler is a nice feature but it doesn't half look ugly. 

So I'll be sticking to plain vanilla DCC Ready versions that I will chip up as and when I can afford to.  I'm defo having a blue 08 but I'm torn between the Rfg and Provincial.  So I may hold out and wait for (fingers crossed) parcels red.

Ideally though I'd like one of the 08s in the 600 range.  I can number it after one that was allocated at Rosegrove then and name it Derek after my grandad as that was the local shed to his home. 

• Like 4