New tooling Class 08/09

woodenhead

I like the look of this but its going to be expensive isn't it?

😁

Does anybody know which region / era had SIX lights fitted to the front? I'd be interested in a BR Blue version but I only recall those in the North West region having two lights fitted front, and then obviously back. My current Bachmann 08 and previous Lima 09 had four lights front/back both in BR Blue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, APT Fan said:

I like the look of this but its going to be expensive isn't it?

😁

Does anybody know which region / era had SIX lights fitted to the front? I'd be interested in a BR Blue version but I only recall those in the North West region having two lights fitted front, and then obviously back. My current Bachmann 08 and previous Lima 09 had four lights front/back both in BR Blue.

The six light version is the Southern Region steam era, to match the six positions used for SR locomotive headsignals.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I am not an 08/09 expert by any means, but I shall be looking for a Cornish based loco for my China Clay section of my layout, and another for my ironstone works. The Hornby Sentinels I have just haven't got the oomph to move more than a couple of heavy hopper wagons, so it will need something a little more powerful to move around 6 fully laden (with real ironstone) wagons. So, if there is an 08/09 that was based around Banbury area that would be useful too, but not critical.. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, looking forward to the announcement of the identities and liveries of the Class 08’s and 09’s next week. Fred

Purely for selfish reasons would like one from the NYMR stable if they can be done 😊

• RMweb Premium

Pre-ordered 08928, looks lovely in that dull as hell grey and yellow.

Did go for the deluxe model as I want to give the remote uncoupling a try, never been one for adding detail 'bits' to my models, I prefer the functionality and play value personally. Some of my stock is kadees and using magnets under the track, but I'm interested to see how this setup works for me with my ample stock that remains with tension lock couplings.

Have to say though, I've never really made comment on price before, but at only a couple of quid under £300 for a shunter, I had to stop and think more than I have done previously on whether I really want this purchase, and I come from a very fortunate position of being able to have a healthy level of disposable income. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, reddragon said:

£365 for a weathered 09 was enough to send a cold shudder up my spine!

Not at that price!

Yes but don't forget, Bachmann promise that you will get "your own authentic shunting experience".

It takes a very special kind of model to do that. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

26 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Yes but don't forget, Bachmann promise that you will get "your own authentic shunting experience".

It takes a very special kind of model to do that. 

Maybe shunting was a typo - should have read shafting. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, reddragon said:

£365 for a weathered 09 was enough to send a cold shudder up my spine!

Not at that price!

You quote the RRP (not necessarily the market price) of the most expensive version; if you're going to criticise pricing at least quantify it more accurately please.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

He who waits gets a nice new 08 at a nice price. I’ve never paid RRP for any of the latest models from Bachmann, and I have plenty of them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The reality is though that the models are available right now on pre-order for less than the RRP.

Of course further discounts may be available in time if certain examples don't shift, but you'll have to weight that up against the risk of missing one you want if they do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Foden said:

The reality is though that the models are available right now on pre-order for less than the RRP.

Of course further discounts may be available in time if certain examples don't shift, but you'll have to weight that up against the risk of missing one you want if they do.

Not beyond the bounds of possibility that Heljan will enter the 08/09 market and undercut both Hornby and Bachmann. 

• RMweb Premium

09 009 looks like the one for me. Doesn't appeared to be weathered though, and £349.95 is lower than quoted above, and it's one of only two 09s in the list linked to and neither appear to be weathered versions...?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Not beyond the bounds of possibility that Heljan will enter the 08/09 market and undercut both Hornby and Bachmann. 

Quite possible. And a few other manufacturers besides too.

In which case there will be better choice, and probably more discounts in time too.

• Like 1

I have to say... Just under £300 for a DCC sound fitted model with full lighting, stay alive and independently controlled uncouplers is not as bad as I expected. It's certainly not cheap! But also could be worse.

Personally I am happy with kadee's for shunting but I know my mate will grab one as a station pilot all day long. I suppose the steam equivalent will be a pannier at some point. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

ersonally I am happy with kadee's for shunting but I know my mate will grab one as a station pilot all day long. I suppose the steam equivalent will be a pannier at some point. 

Similarly specced Pannier (minus auto tension lock uncoupling) from elsewhere £239. Appreciate what Andy said about pricing but where there is competition Bachmann bring their prices down - for example 37s dropped and new price of the 30/31. 

• Agree 3

Compared to the next release (i;e not those out there now) Hornby one, the Bachmann plain DC version is only about £10 and packs lights for that and other features.

Of course some previous release can be found cheaper and the gap can be up to £30.

My last Hornby 08 cost me about £150 and was prefitted DCC sound fitted with a loksound 21 pin DCC decoder (and sound recording by ESU) . BUT that was 12 years or so, ago....

It's a lot, but my strategy with Bachmann these days is to not pre-order. For example when the all new 47 came out, I held off on the SFX Scotrail Lady Diana. I thought they had all sold out (they had at the big stores) but 18 months later I found one heavily discounted in a smaller store.

The other thing with Bachmann is the Plux 22 chip. It commits us to buying a new chip rather than re-using any existing 21 pin one (which had all the functions I needed). So I guess all new loco PLUS new chip does make the upgrade from an existing model somewhat more expensive than expected.

• RMweb Premium

I see this as a win-win.

The model looks like it'll be wonderful, and the best 08/09 yet made. Yes it's a bit pricey, but if people are worried about price then the older Bachmann and Hornby models remain excellent and you can find nice pre-owned examples for a lot less than these will sell for new. So you have a choice. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I still use tension locks on my goods stock so a sound-fitted model with automatic uncoupling will be just the job for shunting my goods yard. Just need to wait until they announce one that fits 1950s/early 1960s southern region. It does seem a bit pricey but looking at the spec on the video, with all the separate fittings, lights etc it should be an 'up-market' model, especially in comparison with previous 08 models and in my opinion you have to pay for that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what the haulage capacity of these will be?

I would like to use the model (with the auto coupler) to do 'actual' shunting duties.

That will involve coupling up to sets of rolling stock held in cassettes (1.7m long), and transporting to / from an elevator.

The 30 / 31 might be needed if there is insufficient traction with 08/09, however the shunter would seem more appropriate!

• Like 2