New tooling Class 08/09

woodenhead

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Will the auto release coupling thingy work with kadees  do we know?

Not as far as I can work out - tension locks only by the look of it..

• Agree 1

Any chance, nearly a week after this announcement, the thread title could be changed to reflect the thread is about a newly tooled class 08/09, either by its originator or one of the mods?!! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MidlandRed said:

Any chance, nearly a week after this announcement, the thread title could be changed to reflect the thread is about a newly tooled class 08/09, either by its originator or one of the mods?!! 

Has @woodenhead been back here to see this suggestion?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, hopefully B will do the one version of the 09 H never did afaik - original, banger blue with no livery adornments, high level pipes. Essential for any BR(S) layout of the later 70s and early to mid 80s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well I watched the Bachmann video and I must say, this model looks fabulous and sounds like it will have excellent pulling ability with its 5 pole motor and die cast content etc etc. I can’t wait to see the August announcement and it sounds as though we won’t have to wait long to be able to buy these. I’m also hopeful we’ll get a good selection of pre TOPS blue, green and black versions as well. 

On 21/06/2024 at 09:55, Marcoblanco said:

Yes confusing as a thread named 08/09 was closed

I would go further and say bizarre in the extreme!! Maybe another manufacturer is planning to release one, that we’re not aware of 🫢 😂

• Like 1

• Phil Parker changed the title to New tooling to be announced 15 June (08/09 shunter)

I'd be happy if it can shunt a few wagons or a couple of coaches about tbh.  I've always been a bit dubious of the need for shutters to be able to haul a full MGR rake or a WCML Mk3 rake.  It's probably why the previous models have massive motors when something far smaller realistically would have done for simple shunting operations in a yard.  But each to their own and I do realise some have the need for epic pulling power :)

21 minutes ago, Pendle Forest said:

I'd be happy if it can shunt a few wagons or a couple of coaches about tbh.  I've always been a bit dubious of the need for shutters to be able to haul a full MGR rake or a WCML Mk3 rake.  It's probably why the previous models have massive motors when something far smaller realistically would have done for simple shunting operations in a yard.  But each to their own and I do realise some have the need for epic pulling power :)

I tend to agree - however slow speed operation is essential and the attention to gearing referred to in the announcement, combined with a powerful motor and plenty of weight should ensure the model will cover all eventualities (including, in my case, pulling relatively short loads up a ramp)! 

• Like 3

On 24/06/2024 at 21:16, Pendle Forest said:

The real things were capable of hauling a fair load. They were deisgned to shunt trains and that might mean a whole train. This thread might be wortha read for those who are interested:

Justin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjnewitt said:

The real things were capable of hauling a fair load. They were deisgned to shunt trains and that might mean a whole train. This thread might be wortha read for those who are interested:

Justin

1 hour ago, jjnewitt said:

Justin

Yep I get that.  They were very very effective at shifting huge loads at slow speeds... but what I was trying to get at wad that in reality (in my view), on most layouts, the loads are small and shear brute pulling power can be sacrificed for much better running qualities and improved functions (as the entire body space isn't taken up with motor and associated block)

15 minutes ago, Pendle Forest said:

Yep I get that.  They were very very effective at shifting huge loads at slow speeds... but what I was trying to get at wad that in reality (in my view), on most layouts, the loads are small and shear brute pulling power can be sacrificed for much better running qualities and improved functions (as the entire body space isn't taken up with motor and associated block)

Beyond lights and sound, what other functions would you need?

Doesn't a heavy chassis block and big motor give you excellent running qualities over a small motor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Pendle Forest said:

Rapido 15xx ticks all the boxes for detail and running quality (my example does anyway - other views are available) and will easily haul 14 coaches arounnd my layout  with its 30inch minimum curves and unintentional gradients. It can be done and I would hope the new 08 will do similar (had a Hornby 08 which performed well until the cranks shifted!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pendle Forest said:

Weight has its part to play in better running qualities. It's not just about the motor.

Personally, I have no interest 'improved functions'. I can't really afford sound and lights are bit of a gimmick for my modelling period. In my view, a loco has to first of all look right and then be able to pull what I need it to without stuggling. I have a Bachmann and also a Hornby 08 and wouldn't be exchanging them for a featherweight 08 that can only manage a handful of wagons. Anyway, Bachmann do a decent job with their locos so I imagine the performace of the new model won't be compromised for other things.

Justin

• AY Mod changed the title to New tooling Class 08/09

I hope Bachmann won't be assuming that modellers won't be wanting their 08s to pull anything more than a few wagons or coaches. I would hope they would seek to maximise the haulage capabilities of the loco, within the limitations of the design/weight/size of the loco of course.

Personally, to be any use to me as a station pilot, I would need any 08 to be capable of pulling 6-8 coaches around third or preferably second radius curves. My current Hornby 08 isn't capable of that, so isn't much use to me. That's why I often use a class 26 (prototypically) for this purpose and also why I sold off all my 08s bar one.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this newly tooled 08 is capable of. I would really like a few for stock movements/platform changes around the station. The prototype 08s could haul amazing loads for their size, albeit not at high speeds.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Pendle Forest said:

Looks like I'm in the minority on this one then ;)

Not entirely....smooth with sound will do me...

• Like 1

I don't see why maximising haulage capacity would have to come at the expense of smooth running. Virtually all recently released models offer both these days. I want both and I'd be very surprised if Bachmann didn't too.

Let's hope we're all happy when it arrives. 😀

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

19 hours ago, Waverley West said:

I hope Bachmann won't be assuming that modellers won't be wanting their 08s to pull anything more than a few wagons or coaches. I would hope they would seek to maximise the haulage capabilities of the loco, within the limitations of the design/weight/size of the loco of course.

25 years in with Bachmann's 'Blue Riband' design traction products, and consistently the easiest to improve tractive capability where that is required, of the current RTR OO brands I have sampled thus far. Screw attachment of ballast weights, screw and clip together assembly of bodies has enabled easy substitution of lead for the cast mazak ballast supplied and good access to useful voids: and to date no resulting failures. Their first 08 design was an easy job to achieve the 350g all up weight required for a reliable start with a 14 carriage load on a 1 in 80 gradient.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The 08 is a small model no matter which way you look at it. Now there is only so much weight that can be added. Especially has room is needed for motor gears sound decoder the PCB board lights speaker authentic cab details and the automatic uncoupling device and what ever else is needed. It’s never going to be a heavy weight model. Yes a metal foot plate may help but really I can’t see it achieving prototype pulling power. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

It could always be downgraded with a lightweight puny motor

Or upgraded to run beautifully with a lightweight motor and push around my couple of wagons that I need it too 😃

• Like 1