New tooling Class 08/09

woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

Well, I had mentioned the 08 on another post, with auto uncoupling and now it’s here there’s a turn up for the books off my rarely accurate predictions. Going to have gey two BR 08s to go with the two 31s. 

Well chuffed with this out of the blue announcement. 

Just needs the Class 20s for me next. 

As I  read it the autocoupling is only on the top of the range model, deluxe sound. It feels like a feature that would be useful at the lower price points especially if it's the next big thing!

For instance it would be useful on a beginners 'train set' level as there's nothing more irritating than derailing the whole train uncoupling the engine with tension locks and it would add considerable play value.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

If it's three-link uncoupling ! 🙄

You have your fun your way and I’ll have mine my way.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I watched the launch YouTube video on a 65” tv and was amazed at the level of detail achieved. I haven’t bought a UK outline model for 5 years or more but I can definitely feel the wallet locks starting to ease. It looks pretty darn good to my eye.

edit. I would recommend watching this video, the amount of permutations promised is huge.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I didnt see mention of cab interior light lights though.. of all diesels I think an 08 cab light was probably on at night more than others, with a driver reading a paper awaiting his next turn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The good thing with Bachmann releases it that there will be stock at the retailers when it's released, so there is a good chance I'll get one, especially banger blue with yellow buffer beams.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GordonC said:

A bit of a shame it's so long to see which ones and liveries they'll release. The tooling looks fantastic

It will soon come around.

As will Summer Sales, Black Friday, Christmas, Boxing Day Sales, NewYear Sales and Easter, all before September this year probably !!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, richierich said:

Wonder if it’s possible to convert to EM and P4?

You mean you model both P4 and EM? That's a little masochistic of you, surely? Most people suffice with one or the other...

Well, most people suffice with OO but I dare not mention them....

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Definitely a gap and good to see someone doing it.

My interest will depend on the liveries and variants available, plus how much price inflation there's been / will be. I have a mental block paying as much for an 0-6-0 as a much larger loco, even if I can reason with myself that there's likely just as many detail parts, the design and components likely have to be better to fit into a more compact package etc.

Interesting announcement - given that the auto-uncoupling has potential to develop across ranges. However, price as the potential to put others off (whether that be inflation or Bachmann's higher price point setting) and as such I think many will still be happy with those that have the Hornby sound examples so far. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I didnt see mention of cab interior light lights though.. of all diesels I think an 08 cab light was probably on at night more than others, with a driver reading a paper awaiting his next turn.

It has cab lights, it in the Bachmann 

IMG_2704.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Black Hat said:

Interesting announcement - given that the auto-uncoupling has potential to develop across ranges. However, price as the potential to put others off (whether that be inflation or Bachmann's higher price point setting) and as such I think many will still be happy with those that have the Hornby sound examples so far. 

Prices have always done that, the times I’ve seen people moan about x or Y for £100. I remember being told I couldn’t a have a loco at £25~ when I was a kid because it was to expensive. 
But we live in today’s world and prices aren’t what they used to be. Cavalex 56 sold out at close to £300 for a sound model. I’m sure these will do just as well. 

To be honest a 08 will fit much better on a small layout. Not to mention why should anyone not want to keep their older models, unless to raise funds for a new one. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I absolutely adore 08s and have a collection of them sitting at about 20 members. This looks amazing, the spec is absolutely fantastic. However they haven't announced the price yet, and given Bachmann's pricing of other models I wouldn't be surprised to see £200 for DCC ready and getting up to £350 for Sound Deluxe. So it will depend on the liveries if I end up with any. Here's hoping I'm wrong and Bachmann can bring the price in lower though.

I expect in the first run there will be all the "basic" liveries such as BR black, green and blue. Hopefully a couple of special liveries will be in there as well and/or some celebrity locos.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting announcement, not sure I can justify one on the new layout but it looks to be something of a work of art and if "A N Other" is working on a model, the market is more than big enough to withstand competing models.  I'm sure that those with a use for such a fantastic looking model of an 08/09 will be more than happy for this to break cover.  More to the point, I daresay those on a more restricted budget who can't stretch to whatever price this model comes out at will be able to pick up the post 2000 models on Tatbay soon as others upgrade to the new model, so win-win.

The level of investment being made in new D+E models, often in toe to toe competition, really does suggest the demographic inevitability of ageing modellers is switching towards a bigger D+E market with steam becoming the lesser market for certain niche manufacturers.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I'm just disappointed that the access panel is clip fit, rather than held on by magnets.... 😁 *joke*

Edited by Geep7
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Glencoe Model Railway said:

Given the original tooling was done in 2000, it was inevitable that they would retool the 08. Looking at the spec, I’m delighted as long as they do the plain simple liveries such as BR Blue/ Green and engineers Grey. (Would also love 08648 as it is now but that’s only because I drive the real thing!) 

Considering the age of the current model, I'm also not surprised that the company which has brought us - and continues to bring us - so many models of traditional and modern British goods wagons would want to retool this iconic British shunter to move them around, assembling trains for their recent high-speed diesels to haul away!

Excellent though the Hornby 08 is in most respects, things have moved on since, and in any case Hornby lately seem to be fixated on producing all manner of one-off liveries (even the current BR green 09 bears modern nameplates) - is this really what the market wants? They're surely a bit pricey to be colourful collector's items. There's definitely room for a retooled higher-spec Class 08/09 in traditional liveries right now...........but won't it be interesting to watch how Hornby responds to this! Place your bets for BR green (with wasp stripes), BR blue and Railfreight Grey Class 08s to be announced for Hornby's 2025 range - i.e. 'serious' models, no oddballs this time. Oh, and with lights of course 😜!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Northmoor MPD said:

Auto release couplings on a Shunter! Absolute winner 👏 

Just the job. I will use this to move stock on and off storage cassettes. That is, real shunting duties.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Regarding the lack of Bachmann steam outline in recent years, would you think that the relative youthfullness of the management team since Geoff/Dennis departed might have a bearing?

729B6787-368A-4C85-86D5-553B8F0CDDCC.jpeg.f6d2fd1cbdc3f744405fe3109bb7a3ef.jpeg

No.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

19 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Regarding the lack of Bachmann steam outline in recent years, would you think that the relative youthfullness of the management team since Geoff/Dennis departed might have a bearing?

I don't think so. Look at Rapido and Accurascale many of their staff are pretty young and into steam!

I just think they have prioritised certain items as they would lose them otherwise. It's probably easier to lose something like the GWR Manor to your competitors than a Class 47 or Gronk.

Jason