New tooling Class 08/09

woodenhead

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

That's a coach short - based on previous model logic it will be green and blue AM4 first and then 3 car blue grey refurbs later.

Like the 4-CEP first and then later 3-CEPs

A blue 4 car and a blue and grey 3 car will do nicely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northerngirl said:

Class 230, that's a DEMU that's not been done yet 😜

Crazy as it sounds that would work really well if they used flexible tooling.  LMT, TfW,LNR liveries and the those that went to the USA as well as the 484 and the current GWR livery.  Loads of options and havent Bachmann produced the London Underground district line units already, so half way there ?   

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Crazy as it sounds that would work really well if they used flexible tooling.  LMT, TfW,LNR liveries and the those that went to the USA as well as the 484 and the current GWR livery.  Loads of options and havent Bachmann produced the London Underground district line units already, so half way there ?   

Err.. the 21st Century S Stock, not the D78 Stock that the Class 230 is based on (or were you thinking of Underground Ernie).  A straightforward D78 set would probably sell to the LU fans, perhaps better than the 230. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

"New Tooling" does not equal "new model" therefore at a guess could it be the 2-H under the EFE brand and pretty please with a centre trailer?  Otherwise it's a 108 which hasn't seen the light of day for a year or so.  

Although Kernow MRC has had a lot of its exclusives reissued under the EFE brand, the Class 205 was produced by Kader for Bachmann so I would imagine any centre car (or new 3-car Class 205s) would also come from Kader/Bachmann. I don’t think they’d transfer the tooling to another manufacturer, thank goodness.

8 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I'd love for Bachmann to do the centre car for the Hampshire unit. They'd be able to do it in Blue & Grey then. And if they are clever, a BR 4 EPB too. Personally, i'd love to see them do a 3D / Class 207 Oxted unit. Or an SR-design EPB and HAP.

Going back to what was suggested earlier, if they did the short Hastings sets, they could then do a Tadpole unit, using the 2-EPB DTS.

Yes… while a Hastings unit is of no interest whatsoever, a Tadpole would go down a treat having used them to and from school.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

A Hastings unit would fit in with the Eastern Division emphasis of their BR(SR) Mk1 OO EMUs.

Not sure if a Bachmann 2H motor bogie could haul six coaches on gradients and 2nd radius curves.

Also as has been said a 6S might enable a Tadpole unit to be released without too much extra cost.

Regards

Nik

New tooling?

What wagon could they make with a new body tooling on an existing chassis?

We'll find out tomorrow.  I'm not losing sleep over it....

Les

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The rumour of a brand new gronk just keeps returning.

logically it makes sense, Bachmann has upgraded the 03, 20,24,25, 37,47 which leaves the 08,40,42,57,66 and 70 out there… looking at popularity and availability the 08 stacks up for an update.. the Hornby one isnt that well exploited in recent years and leaves a gap….  That said i’m not sure if a new 08 came along, that it would be lonely for long either.

I like the Hornby 08 over the current Bachmann one, but its not easily available and the price went a bit ho-hum. If a new 08 appeared at a similar price to a Co-Co diesel, the celebration maybe a little shorter (blue ones) but if its priced a bit more reflective of its size, than I can imagine a gronk fest.

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new class 66. After seeing the huge success of the Hattons' version, they may have started tooling a superior version of their own. They've completely retooled many of their key models already. Their current 66 must be near worthless now with those wanting fine detail and value going for the Accurascale and those wanting cheapness going for Hornby, with no room for anything in the middle.

A new class 43 wouldn't surprise me either. I can't imagine they'd tool up the prototype without at least thinking about doing the production version.

A few years ago it was rumoured that another manufacturer (not Heljan) was going to do an 86. Could it be Bachmann....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, 97406 said:

Brill! I have a currently sleeping project to tackle classes 82-84 at some point with the 82 coming next due to the similarity of the cabs with the 85. IC livery like when it was a a Euston ECS loco.

Do you have everything you need already, or could you make use of these? (Plain blue double-pantograph version also available - these went up 3 days ago):

https://www.ekmexhibitions.co.uk/store/CL85-ELECTRIC-BODY-NO-E3095-Single-Panto-p671537837

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

A few years ago it was rumoured that another manufacturer (not Heljan) was going to do an 86. Could it be Bachmann....

Yes, I'd heard that too.  I wondered at the time whether it would be Hornby as a follow-up to their 87 which had recently been released.  Which has now got me thinking ... there's going to be a Hornby announcement on Monday.  Either way, it would be good to have an alternative 86.

I am going to say it’s a new HST …..

Rails of Sheffield commissioned the HST prototype, and it’s showing as a summer 2024 delivery, so I reckon that Bachmann would have also done the research/tooling for the production HST at the same time…