Cheapo PWM Controller from TEMU

• RMweb Premium

I have just made my first purchase from Temu!

https://share.temu.com/7SubEZqi9RA

You may recall that I successfully experimented with Aliexpress variable voltage regulator boards as controllers for model railways, so I thought that the Temu controllers might have a similar application. The minimum order for Temu is £10, so I ordered five items.

The input for the circuit boards must be DC (polarity critical), so I've ordered some 3A bridge rectifiers.

Once again, I will be building walkabout controllers, so I have also ordered some small ABS instrument boxes.

Very promptly, the circuit boards have arrived from Temu and the boxes, ordered yesterday, arrived today. I just await the bridge rectifiers before commencing assembly and test of the first controller.

The Temu boards are very comprehensive, including a control knob and a wired-in, separate reversing / centre-off switch.

I will report further shortly.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 13/06/2024 at 20:37, cctransuk said:

I have just made my first purchase from Temu!

https://share.temu.com/7SubEZqi9RA

You may recall that I successfully experimented with Aliexpress variable voltage regulator boards as controllers for model railways, so I thought that the Temu controllers might have a similar application. The minimum order for Temu is £10, so I ordered five items.

The input for the circuit boards must be DC (polarity critical), so I've ordered some 3A bridge rectifiers.

Once again, I will be building walkabout controllers, so I have also ordered some small ABS instrument boxes.

Very promptly, the circuit boards have arrived from Temu and the boxes, ordered yesterday, arrived today. I just await the bridge rectifiers before commencing assembly and test of the first controller.

The Temu boards are very comprehensive, including a control knob and a wired-in, separate reversing / centre-off switch.

I will report further shortly.

John Isherwood.

Well, first guinea-pig assembled!

Temu-sourced PWM circuit-board inserted into instrument case, by drilling holes for the potentiometer shaft and the cable, and a cut-out for the reversing / off switch.

Bridge rectifier wired into board input terminals - watch out for the polarity markings beneath the board!

Four-core cable wired to rectifier input wires and board output terminals.

Standard (for me) four pin audio jack fitted to the other end of the cable - and off we went!

Performance is very good indeed; plenty of fine control over the full rotation of the control knob.

I did find that a Bachmann Type 2 was a little eager to take off - but the other locos that I tested were very happy under the influence of the PWM control.

I now have three types of controller from which to choose - Gaugemaster, Aliexpress voltage regulator and Temu PWM. Over time, I will check each of my locos  and decide which type of controller suits each model the best.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I've built one around the ZK-MG motor controller, which is similar but doesn't have a reversing switch, and results are very promising! Good current capacity too which will be just the thing for my older US loco's.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1