Point motors

I am building a 4ft by 1ft 00 gauge shunting layout. I intend to fit two right hand short radius insulfrog points. I am wondering if I need a CDU and will the points work ok without one. I am going to install either two surface mounted point motors or two seep motors on the points. I am looking for the most cost effective solution.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I'd be tempted, on such a small layout, similar to throwing by hand, is to use the wire-in-tube method to switch the points.

But if you are really wanting to use point motors, as long as you use the right power supply, you should be able to fire a single point motor without a CDU. However, using a CDU allows a couple of things. One, you can throw more than one point at once. Two, I don't know how to intend to actuate the motors, but, unless you are intending on using stud and prob, the CDU helps to prevent a point motor burnout should a switch fail.

I appreciate the need to keep costs down. For example, the Gaugemaster CDU (other manufacturers are available) is now nearly £20. But, to be fair, unless one fails (very rarely), you'll be able to re-use it on any new layout you wish to build.

Edited by Geep7
grammar

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The Rails one is currently £14.95

That's a good point, and to be fair to the OP, I should have pointed out that the Gaugemaster one was just an example, and not the only option. Have edited my post to this effect.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Geep7 said:

That's a good point, and to be fair to the OP, I should have pointed out that the Gaugemaster one was just an example, and not the only option. Have edited my post to this effect.

I included the Rails one as it has some discount just now. It's normally £16.99.

• Like 1

You could use Gaugemaster GMC-PM10D Point Motor, no need for a CDU.

You can add a Manual Switch, add Indicator lamps if you wish. I use them easy to install. I have had no trouble either.