New announcement 19 June 12.30pm

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Lets get radical, given the major sales push on other brands maybe Hornby are getting out of trains, or at least OO gauge ones.........😱

• Round of applause 2

Yes jump on that bandwagon.

Perhaps we may see an Election special set of banana vans painted in the colours of each of the main parties.

Red Labour 

Blue Tories

Orange Liberals

Green Greens

All the others can be put together into a rainbow colour. (I can't remember their colours)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

But never a V2, despite Bachmann leaving the door open for years and years.  I always found that puzzling.

Possibly sticking with their long past assessment from the time of T-H, that it would have taken sales from the A1/A3. As this subject has twice been what kept the business afloat, best not.

48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Imo someone should have asked more probing questions or pressed the negotiations harder when they acquired Lima about these.

Difficult if all evidence had been well concealed. But as you rightly suggest, 'tis all water under the bridge now, any window of opportunity long closed.

My own thought at the time Vi's UK marketing partner gave up the chase was that Hattons might have stepped in as the UK distribution and marketing partner: that they didn't  pretty much indicated that the market wasn't there for a Limaesque DuffTractor in every livery under the sun interest,  even back then... Something of a shame, as Vi have proven useful with HO units, and Hattons might have been able to provide a profitable steer for application of this capability in RTR OO

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Hornby had a County in their range five years before Dapol even existed!

R3157_1045654_Qty1_1.jpg

I still like the look of the Hornby County 4-4-0  I wouldn't mind a new OO version.

That year of the Four different 4-4-0's was a bright spot in Hornby's history.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm going to guess it's a newly-tooled top link steam loco of the kind that was conspicuously absent in the January announcement.

Several never-before-tooled possibilities come to mind;

GWR Churchward Saint 4-6-0

LNER Thompson A1/1 4-6-2

LNER Raven A2 4-6-2

Or it could be something that's been done before, but not to current standards;

GWR Hawksworth County 4-6-0

LNER Peppercorn A1/A2 4-6-2

SR Bulleid BoB/WC 4-6-2

I'm leaning towards it either being a Saint or a Light Pacific, especially with the timing being so close to Swanage's gala 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I still like the look of the Hornby County 4-4-0  I wouldn't mind a new OO version.

That year of the Four different 4-4-0's was a bright spot in Hornby's history.

And whilst the Schools and Compound have been replaced by newer models, I do find it a bit strange that nobody has yet made a new D49 as well as a County. Funnily enough some of them even had variations of the same names!

76 D49s built. All named. Lasted until the 1960s. Widespread and even one preserved. Surely someone has considered it.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Yes jump on that bandwagon.

Perhaps we may see an Election special set of banana vans painted in the colours of each of the main parties.

Red Labour 

Blue Tories

Orange Liberals

Green Greens

All the others can be put together into a rainbow colour. (I can't remember their colours)

Special vans is Dapol's area of expertise!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

And whilst the Schools and Compound have been replaced by newer models, I do find it a bit strange that nobody has yet made a new D49 as well as a County. Funnily enough some of them even had variations of the same names!

76 D49s built. All named. Lasted until the 1960s. Widespread and even one preserved. Surely someone has considered it.

Jason

Indeed the D49 is an often overlooked gem of a loco in preservation.

When it returns from overhaul it’ll be really nice to see this at say the NYMR/SVR with teaks for a spin.

IMG_9426.jpeg

IMG_9429.jpeg.e83dc1ca2c5b6d773b062ba55af9d87a.jpeg

IMG_9425.jpeg

IMG_9428.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Its bad news for Hornby as a company that with announcements from any of the other players apart from KR I'm genuinely excited to see what they are making, with Hornby I'm down to 'curious'. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Its bad news for Hornby as a company that with announcements from any of the other players apart from KR I'm genuinely excited to see what they are making, with Hornby I'm down to 'curious'. 

Yes - bit of a shame that.  However maybe the predictability of the past might, hopefully, be slipping away in their approach and it won't be a mass list of East Coast 'big engine variants  (I don't count the B16 in that although they were quite big).   So very much as I have long expected, it is the first sign of the break away from Hornby's outmoded 'big bang' annual beanfeast and a step towards a potentially better way of grabbing  and keeping our attention.

But, echoing your thoughts, as they are now going to follow that path (I hope) it also means that there have to be some genuine 'attention getters' in the intermediate announcement(s) otherwise they will just be a very soggy squibs.  If they do include some truly new things I know they won't please everybody and, just like seemingly everything on tv nowadays, they might even 'offend' some folk (but that will always happen). 

So I await 12.30 with at least a modicum of interest if only to see how they are approaching the idea of intermediate announcements but hopesprings eternal for a 'Saint' (or even a B16) but without gimmicks; Modelu do far better lamps.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I’m with you…

Been bitten by the toy announcements in between the serious announcements and of course the gimmick announcements..

Half of me expects a delayed Fathers Day wagon announcement, with intrepidation on if its 2023 or 2024 printed on the wagon.

One thing with Hornby youve really no idea what your getting until its announced..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1