New announcement 19 June 12.30pm

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But they are now employing professional marketing people - apparently.  But I bet the Brand Manager knows what is going on with such events even if marketing don't.

Ive not seen Hornby at a show for a while.

They werent at Ally Pally, they arent at DEMU showcase.

next listed is October

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/events?page=1

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2024 at 12:39, Karl said:

I don't do TT:120 but it wouldn't surprise me if this was a TT:120 Black 5. Would seem a sensible choice for a mid power steam outline for the range and could have gone through design alongside the 00 one using the same research activities.

Along with very much else, it was one of the models announced at launch.

• Like 2

I'd be quite surprised if this were TT. I don't think anyone is doubting the commitment of Hornby to TT:120 anymore. These last 6 months have seen the release of 3 new locomotive tooling projects, 3 new coach tooling projects, and two new wagon toolings. Hornby TT:120 has 2 more locomotives releases and one more wagon release set for 2024. There are also signals and new liveries of old stock being released. And of course the new train set is coming which should complement the range nicely. 

I really don't think TT needs more for 2024. This is an odd thing to say after 2023, when everyone was decrying the lack of new TT products. I witnessed posts that predicted the scale was dead because of lack of new models. Now many of the TT pages are filled with posts begging Hornby to slow down so their bank accounts don't run empty. 🤣 

While TT has great momentum, OO remains Hornby's bread and butter. Hornby's OO range launch was pretty light this year in terms of new tooling announcements. This was largely because Hornby had a pipeline they wanted to work through, but also because they're shifting to announcing products sooner to release. It's been roughly six months since the 2024 OO range launch. Now is a good time for Hornby to unleash some tooling project that they've been keeping in the wings. 

Hornby's strategy is interesting. They seem to have largely abandoned the high-end diesel space to Bachmann/Cavalex/Accurascale/Heljan. Instead, they've gone with a mixture of modern-image EMUs and steam locomotives. It's not a bad strategy. The diesel market has gotten fiercely competitive. Competing against each of those competent brands is not trivial. 

18 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Thinking of upcoming rail anniversaries... Perhaps a commemorative 14 November 1994 the first Eurostar train service? 30th Anniversary set/train pack? in retro Hornby Railways packaging? Probably not? oh I don't know! Who knows? Not too long to wait now the suspense isn't killing me! I quite like the wondering and not knowing what it could be! 🤔 😃 

This is a great idea! Carl (Hornby's lead product developer) stated in an interview that the Eurostar tooling has worn out with so much use. He said it would take a significant investment to get it up to standards again. That's not to say they aren't moving in that direction. This would be a smart decision as far as I'm concerned. 

3 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Along with very much else, it was one of the models announced at launch.

True. Though, he's not wrong in saying that the Black 5 makes perfect sense as compliment to the current range. Again, I'm not expecting this to be a TT related announcement. A TT Black 5 isn't coming until 2025 or 2026. 

It will be interesting to hear what OO people think when the TT version launches... Without headlamps! 😳

Edited by GenericRMWebUsername
  • Like 3

Wouldn't wonder if Hornby comes up with "last Minute" Annoucements for TT120 in the form of alternative LIveries/Numbers/Names for existing models, lîke - let's say - a Gresley A4 in LNER Wartime Black, a Gresley A1/A3 with Coridor Tender or a Stanier Duchess in BR Express Blue, but I doubt we will see such a thing for that 19th June annoucement.

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Agree 1

On 15/06/2024 at 18:33, GenericRMWebUsername said:

... the Eurostar tooling has worn out with so much use. ...

Well, the class 373s themselves got worn out and largely scrapped - the 374s, on the other hand will celebrate their 10th anniversary next year ..... maybe not Wednesday's announcement but a possible for the future p'raps ?

Edited by Wickham Green too
checked diary !
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Well, the class373s themselves got worn out and largely scrapped - the 374s, on the other hand will celebrate their 10th anniversary next year ..... maybe not Monday's announcement but a possible for the future p'raps ?

Given that they’re “Continental size” in real life, would a model 374 in OO have a too large loading gauge? Ironically it may be better to tool in HO!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, MoonM said:

How about a fully retooled pug? I expect a strong seller if made to the standards of Hornby recent small tank engines

Yes a new tooled Pug would be fantastic with a fully detailed boiler's backhead and footplate! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Would be interesting to know who bought the 373s when they were being produced ? ...... in real life they ran alongside CEPs & VEPs on the 'National Network' - but I don't think they were available from the trade back then ! ............................. and a layout of the CTRL with Eurostars and Javelins alone wouldn't be much fun.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

I strongly suspect it's a newly tooled 08...

Wouldn’t surprise me either, they’ve been working on one as part of the TT range so they have up to date research to hand. A poster in the duplication thread referenced an upcoming large bun-fight for the 08, that to me would suggest at least three parties working on one. I can’t imagine it not being in A/S’ plans, and Heljan may fancy a go off the back of the 11/12 as well. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, stationroad said:

Given that they’re “Continental size” in real life, would a model 374 in OO have a too large loading gauge? Ironically it may be better to tool in HO!

It would make sense to do it in HO for the Continental market and OO for the UK. Would probably be better in TT120 though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 15/06/2024 at 20:42, Wickham Green too said:

Would be interesting to know who bought the 373s when they were being produced ? ...... in real life they ran alongside CEPs & VEPs on the 'National Network' - but I don't think they were available from the trade back then ! ............................. and a layout of the CTRL with Eurostars and Javelins alone wouldn't be much fun.

Hornby 373s have been available since 1995, initially as an HO scale model produced in collaboration with Jouef, but from 1998 as a purely Hornby model in OO scale, and the real things operated out of Waterloo until 2007.

I've always assumed they appealed primarily to the "trainset market", being otherwise limited in prototypical geographic range, and also in train length without significant cut'n'shut modelling (and a lot of layout space) being required.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cruachan said:

Hornby 373s have been available since 1995, initially as an HO scale model produced in collaboration with Jouef, but from 1998 as a purely Hornby model in OO scale, and the real things operated out of Waterloo until 2007.

I've always assumed they appealed primarily to the "trainset market", being otherwise limited in prototypical geographic range, and also in train length without significant cut'n'shut modelling (and a lot of layout space) being required.

Unfortunatly there were never enough intermediate cars available in HO otherwise I would have been in the market for one.

I have seen a full length HO one modelled but it involved a lot of "cut & shutting" & a lot of spare power/trailer cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think my wallet would squeal and run away and hide if Hornby were to announce a 4-Cor. The likelihood of it happening is remote (there i've jinxed it now), so I think I can breathe easy. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/06/2024 at 20:12, stationroad said:

They are 9' 8" wide and 12' 9" high.

More or less the same as a GWR Centenary coach which was 9' 7" wide.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

West Coast Railways 2024 railtour set…

Empty box, no controller, couple of well weathered mk2d coaches in an add on pack.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 7

On 15/06/2024 at 10:37, MoonM said:

How about a fully retooled pug? I expect a strong seller if made to the standards of Hornby recent small tank engines

On 15/06/2024 at 20:40, RyanN91 said:

Yes a new tooled Pug would be fantastic with a fully detailed boiler's backhead and footplate! 

A full re-tool of the L&Y Pug would be very welcome  - although I wouldn't be disappointed by a proper scale, full-fat version of the Caley one either- there must be a fair few of us whose path to railway modelling started with a 'Smokey Joe' or 'Desmond'

Edited by Invicta
spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Invicta said:

A full re-tool of the L&Y Pug would be very welcome  - although I wouldn't be disappointed by a proper scale, full-fat version of the Caley one either- there must be a fair few of us whose path to railway modelling started with a 'Smokey Joe' or 'Desmond'

I thought we WERE talking about the Caley pug, the L&Y one is good enough for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

First AI design model train…

painted in AI livery

with an AI box design

controlled by AI

looks like a bus with a face, and no rails.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 15/06/2024 at 14:18, adb968008 said:

Ive not seen Hornby at a show for a while.

They werent at Ally Pally, they arent at DEMU showcase.

next listed is October

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/events?page=1

They were at Model World Live at the NEC in February.

With the new sales team busy selling Airfix and other non-rail brands around the globe, I think that trains are seen as a winter thing, the summer show circuit for Airfix is very busy. Makes sense, as existing Airfix and Corgi lines have global sales potential without the headaches, cost and limited market that OO gauge British outline trains have.

https://uk.airfix.com/community/events?page=1

Scratch Corgi, they haven't updated their events page since COVID:

https://uk.corgi.co.uk/community/events?page=1

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

First AI design model train…

painted in AI livery

with an AI box design

controlled by AI

looks like a bus with a face, and no rails.

Downloaded from the 'net?

• Like 1