Posting in this area is restricted to RMweb Gold & Premium members only. All users can browse and contact the sellers.

GWR 6 ton yard crane in 4mm (First Run SOLD OUT)

Brilliant Phil.  Were these cranes always floor mounted in goods yards, or did they/could they sit on a pedestal of some kind ?  From the length of the jib I'm guessing they were designed to be floor mounted alongside an appropriate siding.  I am very tempted to purchase one to replace my Springside Models 3T yard crane which sits on a brick pedestal.  I can of course remove the brick pedestal  to accommodate a floor mounted crane.   

Thanks

Clive  

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gopher said:

Brilliant Phil.  Were these cranes always floor mounted in goods yards, or did they/could they sit on a pedestal of some kind ?  From the length of the jib I'm guessing they were designed to be floor mounted alongside an appropriate siding.  I am very tempted to purchase one to replace my Springside Models 3T yard crane which sits on a brick pedestal.  I can of course remove the brick pedestal  to accommodate a floor mounted crane.   

Thanks

Clive  

Thanks Clive!

All the photos I've got of this type of crane show them ground-mounted, and yes, always directly alongside a siding.

The drawings show a huge cast iron base, which you can see in the Fawley image at the top of the thread, but that should really be buried so that the only fixed parts of the crane you see above ground are the pinion ring and the cast iron pillar.

As I write this there's only one slot left in the initial run of 10.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Harlequin changed the title to GWR 6 ton yard crane in 4mm (First Run SOLD OUT)
  • RMweb Premium

Congratulations on selling out your first run of kits.

Emphasis added because I have a feeling that a second/third/fourth run might be forthcoming in due course! The fact these sold out so quickly shows there is demand - and short production runs keep stock manageable!

Just please don’t sell any to the infamous Mr Go$turd - they will promptly appear on eBay as  “RARE” and with a price tag of £350 (with free p&p!)

Steve S

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Thanks Clive!

All the photos I've got of this type of crane show them ground-mounted, and yes, always directly alongside a siding.

The drawings show a huge cast iron base, which you can see in the Fawley image at the top of the thread, but that should really be buried so that the only fixed parts of the crane you see above ground are the pinion ring and the cast iron pillar.

As I write this there's only one slot left in the initial run of 10.

Thanks Phil.  Hopefully there will be another run of kits in the future.  Congrats on selling out the first run so quickly.   

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've started printing crane jibs in batches of four at a time. Each batch takes ~21 hours and I pray that I don’t have a power cut during that time. Then the jibs go through the wash and cure process and finally a visual inspection.

One was a reject so here are the first seven. One of these has a broken base, which I might yet reject because it looks so bad.

image.png.2fd5a051455e9ac43c23402387e40dd4.png

The chains are on their way from China.

Edited by Harlequin
Clarity
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

Posted (edited)

Despite the one mishap, they're looking really good. Well done!

Cheers,

Philip

PS: I assume the base is there for printing only (a sprue if you will) and not part of the crane.  If the one with the broken base is structurally sound (ie. all there), it can be mine.

Edited by Philou
PS added
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've started printing the other parts now, one set at a time. I've had some failures that left solid bits in the resin vat so I've had to drain, filter and clean it a couple of times.

It's the small secondary parts like the hook and the tie-down that cause the problem but the main mechanism always seems to come out OK (touch wood). Those small bits have always printed fine before so I guess the problem is because they are now being printed along with larger parts. I hope that some beefed up supports will fix the problem.

So, all a bit fiddly at the moment and I haven't got into a rhythm yet.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

The printer is still whirring away behind me, making parts for the kits. I estimate a few more days printing but in the meantime; the chains have arrived:

image.png.363f44416ffcaf386555760eafd93872.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After trying various methods I finally found an efficient way to cleanly cut the brass rings that form the bearing surface at the bottom of the pillar.

image.png.e25c295fd6f9461bab4e0fc13a11293b.png

I just need to update the instructions and the first batch will be ready to go!

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou everyone for making prompt payments.

Here's the current state of things:

image.png.c8378c68b66f716944adc237ea5284c9.png

I will be posting them over the next few days!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

The first batch of 10 crane kits have all been posted. I hope they arrive safely! (Some of them have a long way to travel...)

If you bought one I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback and if you have any issues or questions please contact me here or via PM.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium

Received mine today, very pleased, instructions comprehensive, hope to start building next week, will post photos.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, fulton said:

Received mine today, very pleased, instructions comprehensive, hope to start building next week, will post photos.

That's good. I'll be able to copy you...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine has arrived today. Been rather busy this afternoon but first impressions are very positive. Very professional presentation with individual parts in their own bags and labelled and a set of comprehensive looking instructions.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Completed today, followed the instructions, quite fragile, be very careful removing, particularly the jib, from the supports I managed to damage a bit of the bracing, was easily fixed with some plastic strip, fortunately on the underside. Not in its final location, posed for the photo, very pleased with the result. Thanks for making the kit available.

IMG_0784.JPG

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, fulton said:

Completed today, followed the instructions, quite fragile, be very careful removing, particularly the jib, from the supports I managed to damage a bit of the bracing, was easily fixed with some plastic strip, fortunately on the underside. Not in its final location, posed for the photo, very pleased with the result. Thanks for making the kit available.

IMG_0784.JPG

That's wonderful! Thanks for posting - looks like you've done a great job!

If you've got the patience and want to go a bit further:

• The rounded rectangles on both left and right sides are the cast iron safety notices: White surround, black background, white lettering. (I know the wording on them but I can't find it just now.)
  • The little ovals alongside are also cast iron plates with the same colour scheme

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Harlequin said:

That's wonderful! Thanks for posting - looks like you've done a great job!

If you've got the patience and want to go a bit further:

• The rounded rectangles on both left and right sides are the cast iron safety notices: White surround, black background, white lettering. (I know the wording on them but I can't find it just now.)
  • The little ovals alongside are also cast iron plates with the same colour scheme

A representation of the plates now added both sides, I had it in my mind that I have seen some transfers for something like this?

IMG_0786.JPG

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

First run extension!

I have managed to get enough parts together to make 5 more kits, as an extension of the first run!

In the next few days I'll be contacting the top 5 people on the waiting list, those of you who just missed out the first time, to see if you would still like to buy one of these kits at the original price of £35.00 inc. UK postage.

The second run of 20 will go ahead later in the year but I fear that the price will have to go up a bit. I'll give more details later.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2