Pictures of short trains with MK2 D/E/F coaches

My thread about class 31s with MK 2 D/E/F coaches has led me down a rabbit hole of pictures of short trains with MK2 D/E/F  coaches on Flickr and I thought I'd just start a thread as they might be inspirational for others. Feel free to add your own or other's pictures but a few ground rules.

Don't talk about Air Con Club

They must be five coaches or less

The majority of the train should be MK 2 D/E/F coaches

It must be a service train I.E. not an ECS

Paddington - Wolverhampton 1990 by Stephen Dance

Culham Hybrid

Hull-Sheffield 1984 by The Cycling Signalman

31422 leaves Doncaster on 1J03 0743 Hull-Sheffield 22_09_1984

Hull to Sheffield 1984 

10/10/1984 - Denaby, South Yorkshire.

Hull - Brighton 1986 by Paul Smith

45150 Hull
  • Like 11

31417 at Doncaster waiting to depart with 1D28 which is the Hull portion of 1306KGX Bradford.This will later work back with this formation to Donny and reattach to the same set coming from Bradford.  Earlier in the day it would have done a similar working .

Photo by Mr Bushy on Flickr.

10617469696_254e2c6727_k.jpg

Edited by 45125
  • Like 8

Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness July 1987 (Paul Clark on Flickr):

37418 at Kyle of Lochalsh on July 16th 1987 with the 1550 to Inverness.

Edited by giz
The third coach looks to be a downgraded FO (seven windows)
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

For a while Wessex trains hired in a set of Mk2 air-cons to help with capacity. Topped and tailed by two class 31s usually. Usually four coaches, with the brake in the middle oddly, but could sometimes be 5. 

Westbury layover(2)

Westbury layover(1)

Edited by nightstar.train
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Nice. Yet another reason for modelling Kyle Of Lochalsh!

In Tom Heavyside's book 'Classic Diesel Years Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and Wick' there are a couple of photos taken in 1988 on different days of Kyle trains consisting of 4 aircon FOs and a BG, none of which appear to be downgraded. Real prototype for everything territory.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

45140_1O86_Hull_08041986_2_47075876

45140 stands in Hull station with a 3 coach load for Sheffield, forming the Hull- Brighton service. It hooked up with the Leeds - Brighton portion at Sheffield, 08857 doing the honours, and was taken forward to New Street by 31435.

The loco weighs more than the train!

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rodent279 said:

45140_1O86_Hull_08041986_2_47075876

45140 stands in Hull station with a 3 coach load for Sheffield, forming the Hull- Brighton service. It hooked up with the Leeds - Brighton portion at Sheffield, 08857 doing the honours, and was taken forward to New Street by 31435.

The loco weighs more than the train!

Scotrail mk1 next to it looks interesting…

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Scotrail mk1 next to it looks interesting…

45070_Hull_23111985_3

The Scotrail mk1s were on an incoming Adex from Dundee, with 45070 on the sharp end. I need to check the dates on these two, I have 45140 down as 08/04/1986, 45070 down as 23/11/1985. One of them must be wrong!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Portion working looks to be the key to finding shorter rakes of air-con Mk2.

There was a working from Manchester Victoria to Glasgow (combining at Preston with a Liverpool-Edingburgh service for the run up the WCML, splitting at Carstairs). The ManVic-Glasgow portion often ran with a Mk1 buffet at the front and a BG at the rear, making up a six coach train.

On this day however the train was 100% Mk2, with 4/5 being air-con Mk2s:

49682536472_e91e284b6b.jpg

47639 Bolton Trinity Street by David Chamberlain, on Flickr

This could be the Liverpool-Edinburgh portion a few years earlier:

47701 Craigentinny

(Bruce Galloway on Flickr)

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Not my photo but I did travel on one of these trains, I think the Arriva Northern S&C services in 2003/4 would fit the bill for this thread.

This pic from Dave McDigital on Flickr:

Tractors at Ais Gill

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

The Parkestone-Glasgow/Edinburgh service (The European) was a ten or eleven coach train for most of the journey but split into two portions at Carstairs. 

Andi

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

The Parkestone-Glasgow/Edinburgh service (The European) was a ten or eleven coach train for most of the journey but split into two portions at Carstairs. 

Andi

Thusly! Photo from Bruce Galloway on Flickr.

87033 Carstairs

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Another source of trains that fit the OP’s specifications were those that utilised the seating coaches of the Paddington-Penzance sleeper train for a daytime local to Plymouth and back. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

Another source of trains that fit the OP’s specifications were those that utilised the seating coaches of the Paddington-Penzance sleeper train for a daytime local to Plymouth and back. 

Unfortunately I can't find a picture of that. But I did find this picture of ex-FGW coaches being used on  Bangor to Manchester service in 2003. By that time the Cornwall sleeper had gone over to entirely Mk3 operation after Virgin retired their Mk3s and FGW acquired some. 

47757 Frodsham 26th May 2003

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

This could be the Liverpool-Edinburgh portion a few years earlier:

47701 Craigentinny

(Bruce Galloway on Flickr)

Steven B

And here's an even more interesting version of it...

Liverpool - Edinburgh at Lostock Junction 1985 by Alan Sherratt

Sunday morning drags

• Like 9

The second rank ScotRail push-pull sets of 1985-1990 would be a good fit for a load 5 all Mk2D/E/F train, as many of the sets were booked:

2 Mk2D TSO, Mk2D TSOT, Mk2E FO, Mk2F DBSO - thus having at least one vehicle of each Mk2 air-con type.

• RMweb Premium

I've been on a regular Virgin XC train on the Bristol-Birmingham axis which was short-formed with a green 47 and just 5 air-con Mk2s. I was on my way home from Glastonbury, along with half a zillion others and all our muddy luggage, and a short-formed train was not welcome! Mind you, it probably had more capacity than a 220!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Unfortunately I can't find a picture of that. But I did find this picture of ex-FGW coaches being used on  Bangor to Manchester service in 2003. By that time the Cornwall sleeper had gone over to entirely Mk3 operation after Virgin retired their Mk3s and FGW acquired some. 

47757 Frodsham 26th May 2003

Mark 3 seated stock entered service on the Cornish sleeper during the first half of 2006: The ex-FGW mark 2s that found employment on the North Wales coast prior to this were sourced from FGW's four recently withdrawn daytime mark 2 rakes.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The most ridiculous ( I think) use of brand-new cl.68 super-power - 6000+ hp on three knackered Mk2f(?) coaches! I believe it was a regular service for a while?

DRS Class 68 no. 68019 "Brutus" at Norwich, 08/04/2017.

DRS Class 68 no. 68019 "Brutus" at Norwich, 08/04/2017 by MKT Transport Photography, on Flickr

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, keefer said:

The most ridiculous ( I think) use of brand-new cl.68 super-power - 6000+ hp on three knackered Mk2f(?) coaches! I believe it was a regular service for a while?

DRS Class 68 no. 68019 "Brutus" at Norwich, 08/04/2017.

DRS Class 68 no. 68019 "Brutus" at Norwich, 08/04/2017 by MKT Transport Photography, on Flickr

Except the rear one was always dead in direction of travel, unlike the Class 37 sets where both locos did power, so only(!) 3,755hp. ;)

The Mk2s weren't capable of through multi with 68s, different MU system on the 68s to the Blue Star of the 37s and the Mk2s.

Edited by hexagon789
  • Agree 1