0:16.5 “bullhead main line” track

16 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Does anyone have any dimensions for the sleepers and spacing for the quarry lines? 
Mainline track like the FR and L&B has visually wider sleepers which wouldn’t work with the bullhead. 

I do but it is not digitised and will require some hunting next week to find. I measured Dinorwic track in situ for my 16mm work - it is a lot smaller than you would think. Old FR data I believe is available from Boyd, and again is not large. 

Cliff Barker produces RTR Penrhyn Quarry track in 16mm scale, I think the dimensions are on his site but can't remember off hand - they are in Boyd though I'm sure. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Cliff Barker produces RTR Penrhyn Quarry track in 16mm scale, I think the dimensions are on his site

Based on his dimensions of 4’6” x 9” and converting his 16mm spacing you get:

7mm scale Penrhyn track, 

31.5mm long

5.25mm wide

11.15mm spacing

https://www.cliffbarker.me.uk/NarrowGaugeTrack.html

Edit: dimensions added for reference 

Peco code 75 Bullhead -

31.5mm long 

3.4mm wide

6mm spacing. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

Just remembered I did some scale FR Bullhead in 16mm for a small display plinth - it scales out in 7mm scale to almost exactly Code 100. 

FRPW.PNG

The “S” shape chair is a thing of beauty.

• RMweb Gold

7mm scale Penrhyn track, 

31.5mm long

5.25mm wide

11.15mm spacing

I’ve measured some Peco code 75 Bullhead -

31.5mm long 

3.4mm wide

6mm spacing. 

So sleeper are nearly 2mm too narrow and while spot on for length they will look wrong with 16.5 mm gauge so like I did with L&B track you’ll need to add about 1.5-2mm each side to keep the look right. 

If you bury it in slate rubble and dust like the real stuff was you’ll probably find it’s just right to get the chair detail though if you space them out a bit.  😀 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

If you bury it in slate rubble and dust like the real stuff was you’ll probably find it’s just right to get the chair detail though if you space them out a bit.  😀 

and this is exactly how I'm going to be doing it on Ty'n Pant 🙂

In fairness it was @Quarryscapes suggestion off forum when I conceived the layout. Alan is one of the architects of the layout.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Tom F said:

and this is exactly how I'm going to be doing it on Ty'n Pant 🙂

In fairness it was @Quarryscapes suggestion off forum when I conceived the layout. Alan is one of the architects of the layout.

Tom,

I like what you’re doing with this project - I’ve been following with interest.

Inspiring stuff.

Damian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indomitable026 said:

Tom,

I like what you’re doing with this project - I’ve been following with interest.

Inspiring stuff.

Damian

Thanks Damian

That means a lot. I'm really enjoying this project, and it feels like a real breath of fresh air after the last layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tom F said:

Thanks Damian

That means a lot. I'm really enjoying this project, and it feels like a real breath of fresh air after the last layout.

I’m hoping to do something myself after an absence of a few years. Just need to get this house refurb out of the way.. 

As it may be of interest I thought I would share, I've recently assembled 2 lengths of 014 track to fit in my display cabinet. 1 is flat bottom using Kalgarin code 82 rail, & the other is bullhead using code 75 rail & Exactoscale 2 bolt chairs.

20240617_224236.jpg.08c8bb1055a8e4d0891e2ab043400e85.jpg

20240617_224302.jpg.e5b8a7925f5cd093a891e603cf80eb38.jpg

20240617_224001.jpg.b4af1a380239cb7d4603723f10d1e634.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

As it may be of interest I thought I would share, I've recently assembled 2 lengths of 014 track to fit in my display cabinet. 1 is flat bottom using Kalgarin code 82 rail, & the other is bullhead using code 75 rail & Exactoscale 2 bolt chairs.

20240617_224236.jpg.08c8bb1055a8e4d0891e2ab043400e85.jpg

20240617_224302.jpg.e5b8a7925f5cd093a891e603cf80eb38.jpg

20240617_224001.jpg.b4af1a380239cb7d4603723f10d1e634.jpg

That’s the stuff - you’ve solved a mystery.

I used that code 82 rail on my abandoned L&B project - which was to be a model of Bratton Fleming a few years ago - oh how I wish the rolling stock we have now was available then…

• Like 1

Comparison (because I have the CAD in the same scale) between Dinorwig standard loco worked line chair and Cambrian Railways chair for 80lb rail

Standard Bullhead FS v3a.png

Standard Bullhead FS v3b.png

Standard Bullhead FS v3d.png

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Couldn't find my note book with the Dinorwig track detail so I popped up to Dyffryn level after work and measured sleepers at 9x4.5" and 4' long and spacings totally random between 18" and 4 ' odd with the median spacing around 31" .

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2024 at 19:30, PaulRhB said:

7mm scale Penrhyn track, 

31.5mm long

5.25mm wide

11.15mm spacing

7mm Dinorwig

28mm long

5.25 wide  (2.62 depth)

18mm spacing (median) 10.5mm-28mm variable 

Thanks to Alan

38 minutes ago, Quarryscapes said:

sleepers at 9x4.5" and 4' long and spacings totally random between 18" and 4 ' odd with the median spacing around 31" .

Festiniog Railway Track and Platform Dimensions (2020_06_30 12_40_46 UTC).docx

Just so that it is all in the same area this link (if I've managed to do it correctly) is to my record of modern Ffestiniog track dimensions measured in 2018. 

Edited by Phil Traxson

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve just found this on DLT’s Bridport thread - here he’s using mainline components for narrow gauge - I think it looks well (although I realise from all of the information above the rail and chairs are too big). Interesting all the same.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/150567-bridport-town-carrying-on/?do=findComment&comment=4644786

Had the opportunity to measure some more Dinorwig rail last week - NG bullhead comes in at bang on code 75 and some double head rail ex Padarn Railway is almost dead on code 100.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

Had the opportunity to measure some more Dinorwig rail last week - NG bullhead comes in at bang on code 75 and some double head rail ex Padarn Railway is almost dead on code 100.

Thanks for that,

I’m going to build one or two samples to see what things look like.

I’ve decided to start  a not too serious layout called The Beer & Pie Railway. More on that soon.

• Like 1