The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :-(

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Changing the fill valve on the toilet only to discover it was working perfectly and the issue was that the flush valve seal has deteriorated and was constantly leaking.

Oh well it's all new now, but it's an ar$e taking the thing apart several times.

Look at it this way.

Now you won't have a leak whilst taking a leak....

😁

• Funny 4

21 hours ago, Reorte said:

A house name or number plus postcode should, as far as I know, be unique., Sometimes you'll get some named and some numbered houses in the same postcode, but I don't think you should ever end up with two different streets, both with the same number. "Number" may have to be expanded to separate block and flat numbers for all I know, and it's always possible that someone will end up in a new house without the postcode yet sorted out.

That identifies addresses uniquely, it doesn't necessarily give you much of a clue where to actually find them, but that's the delivery company's problem (some don't seem to make sufficient effort, but that's the area where I trust the RM over others, my house isn't the easiest to find).

LA2 8LU brings up the whole village, although there are only 2 roads, all the houses have names. Trying to explain to a taxi where to go is a bit of nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Look at it this way.

Now you won't have a leak whilst taking a leak....

😁

We have three loos, so I expect to be doing the others before long, they’re all the same age and share the same water.

Lost a washer in the final reseating, luckily I had a spare I could use as it’s one of the ones that holds the cistern to be base.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

We have three loos, so I expect to be doing the others before long, they’re all the same age and share the same water.

Lost a washer in the final reseating, luckily I had a spare I could use as it’s one of the ones that holds the cistern to be base.

Now you know what to do, a spot of preventative maintenance now won't go amiss....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Now you know what to do, a spot of preventative maintenance now won't go amiss....

It’s not my first toilet rodeo, but I am going to stock up on the flush valves if this one proves good in the next couple of weeks

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Care homes. 

The people who have cared for my mother and stepfather are utterly amazing, but I'll be making damned sure I never go into one.

As a tradesman, whose intermittently done work in many such places over the years, from that experience alone, I will suggest that the standard has lifted considerably over the past 45 years.

I say that as a casual observer, not as someone who has had a loved one in such a place.

Some places of business forget that tradespeople working in their premises, can still see what happens! One restaurant had a sticky floor (so bad I thought I was going to lose my shoes) in front of the self serve food area and someone knocked some tongs onto the floor. A couple of minutes later the manager came past, picked them up and put them back on the table! Totally inexcusable.

I had been thinking of having lunch there, as I was almost finished my work. For some strange reason, I went elsewhere for lunch! The whole chain closed down a month later - with attitudes like that, GOOD!

So remember, tradies are would be customers too!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

False ' good deal ' advertising . Two identical  sized box's but ,

DSCN4840(800x600).jpg.2a20a782cbaf4f9fe36706ad5e9c4c0e.jpg

DSCN4839(800x600).jpg.305d4476d78ee69e872f0013e5932cc4.jpg

BIG PACK , but 50 grams less weight ,

Unfortunately very common, as they're afraid to put the price up, so they use this method to raise the overall price.

Of course they get away with it, because the competition does the same. Of course it isn't seen as collusion by the competition regulators.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

But it doesn't say "Bigger Pack", so the statement is true  - it is a Big Pack!

Agree , but it still makes it sound special .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

QS.jpg.9e768961a5f4293fa1be5077cf05a174.jpg

I had a look at this years offering.  The tub was 50g more than the Celebrations tub, but I expect the toffee content was higher than last year...

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

DSCN4840(800x600).jpg.2a20a782cbaf4f9fe36706ad5e9c4c0e.jpg

Just noticed this same 670g shrinkflation deceit when compiling my grocery order - ordered a pack of own-brand instead.  I suppose most people don't see these nefarious things, but I'm a train-spotter with a spreadsheet 🤬

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Just noticed this same 670g shrinkflation deceit when compiling my grocery order - ordered a pack of own-brand instead.  I suppose most people don't see these nefarious things, but I'm a train-spotter with a spreadsheet 🤬

If there's an own brand, I buy it - the savings to be made are substantial!

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Being a trainspotter does not guarantee you are observant.

A couple of weeks back me and Mrs W were walking, came to a gate which was locked and I was looking for a way around it, was about to declare we should turn back when Mrs W suggested perhaps we might use the stile right next to the gate.  🤣

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1