The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :-(

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Websites that have popups saying so-and-so in Budleigh Salterton has just bought <insert model name>  I'm just not interested in what other people are looking at or buying,  and I have to say even AS have a big black mark in this respect.  (Can't think of anything else wrong with AS though)

Trying, and failing, to play on the FOMO factor.

I would have hoped that AS were above that sort of blatant sales pressure.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Cascading Style Sheets (css) for web pages. I've got an old personal website using ancient (2011?) html and an old stylesheet and I'm now preparing to move to current html5 with a new stylesheet to let me offer pages in dark mode (as my eyes get older, I find white on black or dark grey is usually easier to read, apart from those apple users who provide very faint white on black).

I've now spent about three days on setting up a test page to (mostly) show how I want things to appear. You can now validate the html , and then the stylesheet,at w3c but it ain't half picky. I've got a stylesheet which shows the page in dark mode, and another which shows in light mode. Then I merged them, using the expected code, but only light mode shows. Swapped the values so that dark is now default - only dark shows.

Now I've had to dig out my old stackoverflow login, so I expect I'll be wasting  time for a few weeks  looking to see if I get an answer.

Edited by zarniwhoop
stackoverflow, not stackexchange'
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Perhaps all the election griping could go here, rather than the "Things that make you :)" thread?

Seems like that was why this thread was created.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps all the election griping could go here, rather than the "Things that make you :)" thread?

Seems like that was why this thread was created.

Or in the jokes thread? But perhaps they get paid too much for that to be funny!

• RMweb Premium

Flying ant day (today)

For some reason they all emerged today, even though it wasn't particularlay warm, so the ant powder got plenty of use.

The thing I did notice was that the flyers were about the same size as the workers, whereas normally they are considerably bigger.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Here's one.

England beat the Netherlands this evening.

Definitely a :-(

Considering how far they have got by playing crap football, how bad must the other teams be?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Considering how far they have got by playing crap football, how bad must the other teams be?

Worse than could be expected?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, melmerby said:

Flying ant day (today)

For some reason they all emerged today, even though it wasn't particularly warm, so the ant powder got plenty of use.

The thing I did notice was that the flyers were about the same size as the workers, whereas normally they are considerably bigger.

Ditto here in the New Forest  

On 12/07/2024 at 23:35, kevinlms said:

Don't you just love dodgy unsafe electrical stuff.

Buy one for the relative you hate?

I like the lack of "this is terrible, something must be done" handwringing over it. Just a casual "If you've got one of these you might want to stop using it because it could kill you" sort of approach.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, PatB said:

I like the lack of "this is terrible, something must be done" handwringing over it. Just a casual "If you've got one of these you might want to stop using it because it could kill you" sort of approach.

Something with instructions in an impenetrative foreign language would be enough to put me off in the first place!

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Something with instructions in an impenetrative foreign language would be enough to put me off in the first place!

That sounds like Digitrax.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2024 at 16:35, kevinlms said:

Don't you just love dodgy unsafe electrical stuff.

Buy one for the relative you hate?

Big Clive vids should be in things that make you :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/07/2024 at 21:00, Hroth said:

The problem is that you don't know, until the item arrives!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We lost the remote for the lounge aircon and looked everywhere for it, in the usual spots to no avail.

Gave up looking and ordered a replacement, which duly turned up and works fine. About a week afterwards, my wife finds the original, it was in her blood sugar monitor bag, at the bottom.

Now why didn't I think to look for it there?

Anyone want a spare remote?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

We lost the remote for the lounge aircon and looked everywhere for it, in the usual spots to no avail.

Gave up looking and ordered a replacement, which duly turned up and works fine. About a week afterwards, my wife finds the original, it was in her blood sugar monitor bag, at the bottom.

Keep it for next time

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Just store the original somewhere safe (remembering to remove the batteries!) for the next time your wife loses the replacement.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just store the original somewhere safe (remembering to remove the batteries!) for the next time your wife loses the replacement.....

She lost the remote for the TV today - still no sign of it... The original aircon remote, doesn't appear to help!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

She lost the remote for the TV today - still no sign of it... The original aircon remote, doesn't appear to help!

Check the blood sugar monitor bag

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Probably on top of the TV

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1