A question regarding 'off-region' coach uses in BR days

In West Yorkshire the odd service re out of region coaches was the Summer Bradford - Poole service which was weekly but brought a rake of Southern Green coaches to Bradford via Great Central , Sheffield , Barnsley, Penistone, Huddersfield , Halifax and finally Bradford. They stayed over in Bradford for the week before going back south with Maroon stock on the balancing working. It was a favourite train for steam photographers in mid late 60,s as often had a Jubilee for traction which I think came off at Nottingham or Leicester. Not sure when the Green disappeared but the train ran on into 1970,s I think.

Cheers

Mac   

Edited by mac1960
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2024 at 13:21, Mallard60022 said:

and a Gresley Artic set (or two?) in the same sort of area, hauled by and N or U. 1963/4 IIRC

Gresley stock was used in the Minehead portion of the Wolverhampton to Ilfracombe service c1963. Still had LNER carpets and mirrors in the first class. I travelled on the northbound train from Taunton to Snow Hill.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

They're both ex LMS types - you can clearly see "M" prefix & suffix and can probably read the number if you freeze-frame at the right spot ........ not sure what happened to the SR goods van that was attached at one point !

The LMS stock at Yelverton is

1) M7725M, Period 2 diagram 1795 60ft TO built 1930.

2) M26176M, Period 3 diagram 1968 57ft BTK built 1938.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

They're both ex LMS types - you can clearly see "M" prefix & suffix and can probably read the number if you freeze-frame at the right spot ........ not sure what happened to the SR goods van that was attached at one point !

A nice three region combination.

The rear carriage at 6.46-6.47 is that GWR or something else?

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Morello Cherry said:

The rear carriage at 6.46-6.47 is that GWR or something else?

I'm getting the 2 coaches listed in the post above yours at those times?

Edited by Hal Nail

I was looking at the train the sailor gets off rather than the one he gets on. So I was interested in the first train the one he arrived on rather than the one he departed on. I assumed the post above referred to the train he left Yelverton on.

He gets out changes platform and gets into the other train. Or is it just a film trick and both trains are the same train?

• Like 1

On 12/06/2024 at 13:07, The Stationmaster said:

9135 was used on WR internal workings for some time although quite why it was allocated to the Region in the first place I don't know.  i've a nudging memory that it was, for a short while, one of two Gresley buffets working internally on the WR. 

I often saw W9135E at Reading during 1972-76 and haulage by Class 52 'Westerns' wasn't at all unusual as it was frequently seen at Plymouth - in fact I think it was based there (?)

IIRC the other WR Gresley buffet car was W9118E, although this one is always maroon in the very few photos of it I've ever seen, and if it acquired blue/grey while on the WR it must have been on permanent nights!

Edited by Halvarras
Buffer car? What's a buffer car?!
  • Like 1

On 17/06/2024 at 12:52, keefer said:

Also green Mk1 coaches at Manchester etc, behind cl.76s on  Woodhead services. 

For the Bournemouth electrification, REP driving motors were new build but the trailers and all 4TC vehicles were converted from l/h stock.

Hence the SR cast about for the newest/best Mk1s to convert - in exchange were not just the Bulleids but other Mk1s which were older/not as good condition (particularly regarding body corrosion).

AFAIK MK1's have different body profiles and the Southern Region wanted all identical body profiles which meant vehicles from particular batches/diagrams

On 20/06/2024 at 21:16, johnofwessex said:

AFAIK MK1's have different body profiles and the Southern Region wanted all identical body profiles which meant vehicles from particular batches/diagrams

The Mk1 had been standardised for electric units for years and was a good solid vehicle ( by the standards of the day ) perfectly suitable for making into electric units - Mr.Bulleid's coaches had been considered to be good solid coaches when introduced but by the time BOMO got sparked their timber bodies were not considered suitable for electric conversion ....... simple as that !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep - the Syphon Gs worked pretty well everywhere in BR days ..... the Syphon Js had regular workings onto Southern Railway territory in earlier days.

Mailvans ? - now that's an interesting one : one ( I think ) ex GWR TPO vehicle was allocated to the Southern Region and appropriately painted in BR green !

• Like 1

On 18/06/2024 at 17:46, mac1960 said:

In West Yorkshire the odd service re out of region coaches was the Summer Bradford - Poole service which was weekly but brought a rake of Southern Green coaches to Bradford via Great Central , Sheffield , Barnsley, Penistone, Huddersfield , Halifax and finally Bradford. They stayed over in Bradford for the week before going back south with Maroon stock on the balancing working. It was a favourite train for steam photographers in mid late 60,s as often had a Jubilee for traction which I think came off at Nottingham or Leicester. Not sure when the Green disappeared but the train ran on into 1970,s I think.

Cheers

Mac   

When we say they stayed in Bradford for the week , ( or at the other end in Poole) would the stock have just been cleaned and sat in the CS all week , or would it be diagramed to other services locally?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, dave75 said:

When we say they stayed in Bradford for the week , ( or at the other end in Poole) would the stock have just been cleaned and sat in the CS all week , or would it be diagramed to other services locally?

It varied but usually the stock was left in the sidings for the week.  However just sitting there for a week wasn't too bad when you consider that lots of stock sat in sidings for 40 or more weeks and was only rolled out for summer peak Saturday workings.

Hence some things which offered some very big savings when they came under the eyes of 'the Good Doctor'.

On 18/06/2024 at 17:46, mac1960 said:

Cheers

Mac   

Ooh - I've been looking for an excuse to use some Green Bulleids in North West England in the 1960s.  When I sold off all my Colletts I couldn't do the same with the Bulleids even though they were further off my location but they did last longer.  Now how did they reach my imaginary North West location - via the GC / Stockport Tiviot or via Snow Hill on an ex Birkenhead service truncated to Chester.

Choices, choices haha.

• Like 1