Swanage Strictly Bulleid event.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Adrian. We would certainly come back again in the future.

Here is another video shot on Friday featuring Eddystone, Sir Keith Park and British India Line.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi David, my pleasure. It is a beautiful morning today. Yesterday was nice but some clouds but great once they cleared.

Just cooked breakfast outside. Should set me up for the long drive home.

Hopefully the railway will do well today.

Cheers, Ade.

IMG_8612.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ace pics and vids Ade! [My late brother Ade always used that adjective!] In the v late ‘50s, “Sir Keith Park”, quite recently rebuilt, hauled us out of Waterloo on the first leg of the Atlantic Coast Express, or ACE! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

What fabulous video's and (from a Buxton standpoint!) what lovely weather! I know the line well and equally well Mr Bulleid's fine locomotives. Thanks so much for posting them and making me, and I suspect many more, so very happy, great!

Kind regards,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Was unable to visit today either sadly.  Despite there being 8 Bulleids at Swanage for the weekend, there were a couple of others employed elsewhere with Tangmere and Braunton hauling specials over Shap. So 10 Bulleids in steam over the weekend!

Edited by RFS
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

It would have been difficult, if not impossible, for the railway to engineer it but are there any images of all 8 at one location?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2024 at 22:32, SD85 said:

I went yesterday and did it by public transport. Buses to and from Norden were no problem though they are only on the hour or so in the evenings. Did require a 5am start to catch the Weymouth train at Clapham and I didn't get back home until gone 11ish but even so it was worth it. Two MNs doubleheading really is quite something, and all the Light Pacifics were good to see as well.

It's a shame the railway doesn't run into Wareham (though understandable) as apart from the ease of making main line connections it also doubles the length of the line.

For me I would have a further hour on from Clapham to home, thats what I was looking at in my plans, but it’d mean a taxi to Clapham as theres no rail at 4am, my first is 6am…, last back is 11pm.  The option was really a hotel on friday… Then i’m looking at £300+ for a day out.

Not to be political but a dayout starting from Wareham, instead of Norden was the difference between going and not going.

However sunday, I had committed to other plans…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Deeps said:

It would have been difficult, if not impossible, for the railway to engineer it but are there any images of all 8 at one location?

I don’t think they were all in the same location in one big line up. So no, sadly not.

Cheers, Ade.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I don’t think they were all in the same location in one big line up. So no, sadly not.

I thought it unlikely. As much as it would have been a wonderful spectacle the practicalities would have been a major headache!

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I notice that 34028 EDDYSTONE has a black backed name plate.  Did it run with this in BR 60's days, I'd always had the impression that they were red then ?. 

I ask, because I've got a rebuilt Squadron that I'm renumbering & naming into Eddystone  (it ran on the Somerset & Dorset in the 60's) and Fox Transfers offer the name plate with both red or black background, and I want to get it right.  

Peter.