Class 60, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

They still had to shoe-horn the 59 into the UK loading gauge though, which I don't think was trivial.

It wasn't - and they made an interesting error when so doing.  The servicing team at Merehead (BR staff working under contract) made  an early decision to check the procedure for topping up engine oil as part of 'learning' the locos.   They found that an engine laid out for a US design with access panels along the side of the bodywork was not quite so easy to deal with when the place they were looking for was behind a very solid piece of BR gauged sheet steel loco body.

But overall the 59s were a delight although riding on one when the 'Super Creep' adhesion system cuts in is probably the nearest readily available experience to riding on an angle grinder - probably puts Onlyrotating fans.com in the shade for 'excitement'.  Oh, and the coupling hooks are inclined to break when you do some really heavy train weight testing with them.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well we have a couple of months before Bachmann new announcements with, the infamous phrase ‘been working on a 60 for the last x amount of time’

might as well have a full house. Not to mention Brush is just a walk down the road for them. 

Edited by farren
Removed the R from Brush only to check that it should be there!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• Accurascale staff
21 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Hi Guys. 
i note the DC Rail class 60 in the pictures!  

is this a future Accurascale release or a special ?

could you please let me know as i would very much like this one. 

Hi @Krieghoff,

We will have more news on this one very soon, but will be part of the first production run! 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

Could we have some DCC On Board versions... non-sound ones?

The pictures illustrate a superb looking model and, although at the end of the time period I model... Well... I'm just in the process of justifying to myself placing an order which I know I will

• Like 2

Blimey .

A choice of 60s….all this stuff coming out when I’d decided to down scale my chuffer empire.

But a transrail 60, just as the others have one too !

60015 looks wrong though in the kernow picture ….its got Buxton shed plates on, I’ve only seen it with Cardiff .

This will be an interesting fight . I’ll judge it based on how much I think of my 31&50 when they come , and come to some preference .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m surprised no ones said it yet, so i may as well…

two class 60’s…

it looks like a ’tug o war’.

There's a tabloid headline in there, if ever I saw one!

Who said the hobby was dying?

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Certainly, Hornby tell us that everyone is demanding a diecast Deltic.

Not sure why - the Bachmann one will be difficult to improve upon, and what difference will diecast make over plastic?

We'll see if they sell!

CJI.

@cctransuk I usually agree but not this time I’m afraid!! 

Oo no - like the 9F (good as Bachmann’s is) - it will probably be better. Remember that incorrect wheelbase that everybody castigated Hornby for (and Bachmann’s has) - well they’ve corrected it but the moaners have gone on to some other bit now and seem uninterested in the same glitch on the Bachmann. I’ve got used to the on line modelling discussion topics these days 🤣

There appears to be plenty of scope for models of locomotives that haven’t had the ‘technicolour coat of many colours’ post privatisation treatment and are only known in the flesh to 21 yr olds like @The Stationmaster and me (although Deltic had been pensioned off even before I saw it). I know @The Stationmaster is going to tell us he cabbed it 😉😀 - after all, the hobby seems to have a demographic slanted towards enthusiasm for the 60s to the 80s for the ‘real’ railway (as opposed to preserved ones). 

Otherwise things like the class 25 would not justify (and sell out of) so many different makes and variants!! 

Off topic anyway - I like these current day items - I would love to see one of the Accurascales professionally weathered a la one of the rows parked in the undergrowth at Toton (I like the ones they’ve announced as well of course 😉). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Pmorgancym said:

Whilst we're critiquing the music choice surely Shaman and Move and Mountain?

Do you mean this? More Mr.C than McC.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Do you mean this? More Mr.C than McC.

I liked their Ebenezer Good…… politically incorrect at the time but surely mid 90s??!! Nearly as good as Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds 😀

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pendle Forest said:

Could we have some DCC On Board versions... non-sound ones?

The pictures illustrate a superb looking model and, although at the end of the time period I model... Well... I'm just in the process of justifying to myself placing an order which I know I will

An excellent idea - far better than awaiting an Accurascale suitable decoder.

There are many DCC users who do not particularly desire sound in their locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Aberdeen's finest, was studying up there then 😵

I used to buy their records in Eastern Bloc in Manchester. I've still got a few of them and a test pressing of En-Tact. Would make a most rateable soundtrack for a Class 60 launch, too!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

An excellent idea - far better than awaiting an Accurascale suitable decoder.

There are many DCC users who do not particularly desire sound in their locos.

Genuine question, but why ?

How is silent DCC a benefit over DC ?

I could imagine coupling up to a double header but what else, beyond saving on isolating track etc.

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I could imagine coupling up to a double header but what else, beyond saving on isolating track etc.

Dcc is a lot simpler to wire which is one of the reasons that it was initially sold for.  Particularly if you want 'whole layout' control where u bring together points, signals, etc

It's also pretty cool to have all the switchable light settings and being able to configure double heading etc.

There's lots of benefits, even without sound, over standard DC.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Coupling up to a double-header is easy with DC.

This will only occur at a couple of locations, so a loco-length isolated track, with a simple ON / OFF switch, is all that is required.

I model Evercreech Junction (S&DJR) in DC, and coupling-up or uncoupling a pilot loco is commonplace.

CJI.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 07/06/2024 at 20:14, Pendle Forest said:

Dcc is a lot simpler to wire which is one of the reasons that it was initially sold for.  Particularly if you want 'whole layout' control where u bring together points, signals, etc

It's also pretty cool to have all the switchable light settings and being able to configure double heading etc.

There's lots of benefits, even without sound, over standard DC.  

I have read too many of the endless threads about problems configuring decoder settings to believe the hype about DCC being simpler - it's simply and demonstrably not true!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)

More choice for people can only be a good thing I suppose? 

The downside to the Accurascale run is that the models sell so well, you won't be able to buy them 6 months after release as they'll be none left! To be clear, this is positive but no good if you want to pick one of the models up further down the line!

Edited by Chris56057

• Accurascale staff
1 minute ago, Chris56057 said:

More choice for people can only be a good thing I suppose? 

The downside to the Accurascale run is that the models sell so well, you won't be able to buy them 6 months after release as they'll be none left! 

Don't worry, we will always now announce a new run as the current one lands into stock, so there are always options.

• Like 3