Class 60, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 07/06/2024 at 14:47, spamcan61 said:

They still had to shoe-horn the 59 into the UK loading gauge though, which I don't think was trivial.

You know what they say about big locos…

🙂

i was in several US locos during my time there, I was surprised to find the nose of one contained a toilet and mini kitchen.. and I mean one that makes the prm toilets look small….

heres a locomotive cab fridge..

https://primerailroadproducts.com/products/locomotive-cab-refrigerators/

add in icebox (yes seriously), microwave, hot plate, sink…

You could have cut its nose off and rented it as a one bed flat in London.

i once saw a 66 on eng work at Wimbledon, driver got took short and had a leak by the fuel tank on the track, in full view of all the shoppers walking to the shopping centre.. a case of whoops forgot where he was…

after that off he went for a walk, totally oblivious… and you thought that was an oil stain on the fuel tank.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 4

14 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @MidlandRed,

Very true, but I guess my mind is with Tribe, NWA, Public Enemy, De La Soul etc etc.... (and I was only 6!)

Big smooth 5 pole motor as per the 66, driving all axles, with pick ups on all wheels, stay alive is standard in all our locos from the beginning, weight is over 800g so will pull like the real things.

There is a video of the samples coming up in the coming days I believe, so you can check out how they perform in that if it helps! 

Cheers!

Fran 

A video? I look forward to that.

60 is nice but I will be giving it a pass this time. Saving my money for the new Class 08 and HST I am sure you will be announcing after the summer. Right?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, classy52 said:

One thing for sure with what Accurascale, Cavalex, Dapol, Bachmann and perhaps Revolution are bringing to the market is that with each passing day Hornby's D&E collection fades further into the distance and obscurity.

I think this new-tooled onslaught is too great for them to overcome, I see no energy from Hornby when to comes to D&E in OO.

death by a thousand cuts, no company can release the volume of new models required to keep in the D&E game, certainly stuff already in the range. Hornby's D&E stuff is good, it has a place just not at the price they want to charge, maybe they should end up in railroad plus at the £120 mark, i'd snap up some of their stuff at that price.

Hornby has just too many plates to spin, some are going to drop to the floor and as we have seen others will make a new plate and spin that. AS now has a numerous plates spinning, lets see if they all stay spinning.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

RMweb in a nutshell; old and middle-aged men lusting after attractive models. Onlyrotatingfans.com

Oh dear Andy how inappropriate in a thread about tugs 😂

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, classy52 said:

One thing for sure with what Accurascale, Cavalex, Dapol, Bachmann and perhaps Revolution are bringing to the market is that with each passing day Hornby's D&E collection fades further into the distance and obscurity.

I think this new-tooled onslaught is too great for them to overcome, I see no energy from Hornby when to comes to D&E in OO.

Doesn't make a lot of business sense to join the industry-wide OO gauge diesel loco duplication-fest, what with Hornby's terrible habits of successfully selling lower cost Railroad models to the broader market, doing models of things other companies haven't done like Class 80x, Stadler Flirt etc. They really should be duplicating locos like everyone else......

I'd suggest looking at Hornby's strategic direction, which is not the same as the other companies mentioned. Why invest in updated D&E tooling when there is a growing likelihood it will end up in a duplication fight with others, perfectly sensible to make the most of existing tooling whilst developing their new scale, sitting out the duplication-fest to see who survives and where the gaps are before investing large sums (£100k-£1m) in more OO tooling (or perhaps pick up tooling cheap from those who don't make it....). They know full well that there is a range of updated models in the pipeline yet to be announced by others, better to put their money and effort elsewhere until things calm down a bit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Doesn't make a lot of business sense to join the industry-wide OO gauge diesel loco duplication-fest, what with Hornby's terrible habits of successfully selling lower cost Railroad models to the broader market, doing models of things other companies haven't done like Class 80x, Stadler Flirt etc. They really should be duplicating locos like everyone else......

I'd suggest looking at Hornby's strategic direction, which is not the same as the other companies mentioned. Why invest in updated D&E tooling when there is a growing likelihood it will end up in a duplication fight with others, perfectly sensible to make the most of existing tooling whilst developing their new scale, sitting out the duplication-fest to see who survives and where the gaps are before investing large sums (£100k-£1m) in more OO tooling (or perhaps pick up tooling cheap from those who don't make it....). They know full well that there is a range of updated models in the pipeline yet to be announced by others, better to put their money and effort elsewhere until things calm down a bit.

Plus duplication can produce losers as well as winners.

Toolings dont die, Hornby has picked up useful toolings in the past and sweats them for decades after. They could just sit the fight out and buy up the spoils of someone elses war.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I think the driver is giving a subtle message there…

Driver Limehouse Esq, formerly of EWS Rugby Depot (RIP), indicating which notch he's in whilst gliding gently out of Rugby Up Yard bound for Beltchley RMC 😉

• Funny 7

37 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @MidlandRed,

Very true, but I guess my mind is with Tribe, NWA, Public Enemy, De La Soul etc etc.... (and I was only 6!)

Big smooth 5 pole motor as per the 66, driving all axles, with pick ups on all wheels, stay alive is standard in all our locos from the beginning, weight is over 800g so will pull like the real things.

There is a video of the samples coming up in the coming days I believe, so you can check out how they perform in that if it helps! 

Cheers!

Fran 

That’s great to hear,  @Accurascale Fran- I might yet buy one for a display case - they look very good. 

I was thinking Black Box Right on Time and the like but I guess there was an overlap of all this stuff during the 80s/90s. I was well over 6 in 1989 🤣 more like 36 (ish!!)!  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Too harsh - Hornby are targeting  D&E fraternity with the diecast metal 1955 prototype Deltic which I thought everyone was demanding? 😆

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Plus duplication can produce losers as well as winners.

Toolings dont die, Hornby has picked up useful toolings in the past and sweats them for decades after. They could just sit the fight out and buy up the spoils of someone elses war.

Apart from all of the ones they dumped 😆

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Too harsh - Hornby are targeting  D&E fraternity with the diecast metal 1955 prototype Deltic which I thought everyone was demanding? 😆

Certainly, Hornby tell us that everyone is demanding a diecast Deltic.

Not sure why - the Bachmann one will be difficult to improve upon, and what difference will diecast make over plastic?

We'll see if they sell!

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I'd forgotten that diecast Deltic was still in the pipeline!

• Agree 1

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, BrakeCoach said:

Not again!

Someone has wandered in by mistake from Facebook.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

54 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Driver Limehouse Esq, formerly of EWS Rugby Depot (RIP), indicating which notch he's in whilst gliding gently out of Rugby Up Yard bound for Beltchley RMC 😉

Our Mr Limehouse, currently our H&S Rep at Peterborough

Definitely not  indicating wht notch he's in, He doesn't go fast enough

54 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

A few observations from me -

There are now quite a few duplicated models built to the latest standards - 25, 37, 47 all stand out as recent occurrences. However, in relative terms everything is made in smallish batch production these days and for the consumer, duplication not only means choice but that there is a better chance that some of the more impulse or casual buyers will be able to acquire models without resorting to ebay re-sellers.

These days the clamour is always for another livery or number, with a class of 100 covering three decades there are plenty of options for specific locos amongst the Class 60 to cover off many demands. So whilst this means that Accurascale won't have the market to themselves, I can see that both current models can be sustained. I don't see any point in trying to second guess Hornby's position, what some people cite as them 'losing' out may equally be a strategic withdrawal, certainly they seem to be investing in the larger steam loco market rather than D & E.

A Class 60 for me is a nice to have rather than an essential model for my core era so I can very much see myself waiting until the models are out and very likely eventually being one of those impulse purchasers. I wish both Accurascale and 'the other guys' well with their models 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Posted (edited)

I have 2 Cavalex class 60's on pre order, sorry but I will not be cancelling them. I am going to wait for Accurascale to announce 60001, and pre order that when it is announced. The 2 class 60's that I really want are 60008 Gypsum Queen 2 in LoadHaul livery and 60057 in Trainload coal livery. I now have the option of 2 manufacturers to choose from and will order from whoever produces them first. The same applies to 60011, 60044 and 60078 in Mainline livery.

Edited by PieGuyRob

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You missed the word “younger” attractive models..

I saw the 60’s being built, from first run, to last delivered, yet I’m still only 21 years old, even if my waistline isnt.

Check out my moves on the dance floor, whenever I perform, people tend to leave me space, I like to think its in awe.

Yeah, yeah - but i bet that (unlike me) you've never borrowed one, complete with a train load of coal, and had it sent 70 odd miles to you to enable you to use it for research and test purposes for as much of the day that I needed it.    

And I even got to ride in the cab, well it was my train and i had to brief the Driver on exactly what moves were required and where I needed him bring the train to a stand.  Photographic evidence is available.

However for the best Class 60 stories how about this one. They were the only class of BR diesel for which specific fuel consumptoon figures were issued for train planning purposes.  And not just specific to the class but specific to each traffic flow.  and the figures - calculated on Derby research's computer using some of that test data I mentioned previously with very accurate.  Thus the Immingham - Langley oil and return empty tanks working included a requirement for the loco to go to Old Oak Common for fuel but one day a Driver decided, on checking the fuel gauge at Langley, that his time would be better spent having a kip in the cab rather than running to Old Oak and back.  This, in turn, proved the accuracy of the fuel consumption calculations because the train came to a stand - well short of Immingham - due to the loco running out of fuel and less than 10 miles from the point where it was predicted to run out of fuel.

These are my photos of another one I happened to borrow, for very good reasons, for a day along with a few wagons for clearance testing under the loading bunker at the new Bristol Bulk Handling Terminal. (Which I had actually planned to be able to deal with pairs of Class 37s working in multiple although clearances were standard) 

BBHTdoesitfittimecopy2.jpg.6f85d36d7de7e19fea5305cae7cc1034.jpg

BTW the bloke wearing the orange helmet was (is?) an EM gauge modeller 

Class60atBBHT1993copy2.jpg.73ac0ff05f70627013f6f3aaec4ba2ee.jpg

• Like 18

Hi Guys. 
i note the DC Rail class 60 in the pictures!  

is this a future Accurascale release or a special ?

could you please let me know as i would very much like this one.