Class 60, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

RMweb in a nutshell; old and middle-aged men lusting after attractive models. Onlyrotatingfans.com

Unfortunately, my work gateway blocks access to that site...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

Wow, how we love to knock the new guy, then put them on a pedestal only to kick it away.

When Accurascale first hit the scene, I remember those saying it’s another new chancer on the block, just like DJM. All talk and nothing to show. They’ll take your money and be gone.

Then the first Accurascale models started to appear and at great price points, with lots of features. Us modellers, after been ignored by the big names with mediocre models or old tooling in new liveries, now had Accurascale which set new standards, and we all (or at least most of us) were grateful. The complacency demonstrated by other manufacturers with high prices for old moulds was been tested.

I cannot believe that, in such a short time, people are now starting to knock them down with claims that they are going to run roughshod (“don’t care who they tread on”), with no evidence.

A ‘company’ has recently announced a new model, one which I’m guessing has been in planning for, say, 3 years. Another company has also announced the same model. Assuming that they both kept the development secret for commercial reasons, it is not surprising that we modellers see such announcements relatively close to each other. That’s just the way the business model works. Announce it too soon, and you may have a big red manufacturer trying to saturate the market with more of it’s old models.

Oh, and in my previous paragraph, feel free to substitute Cavalax and Accurascale as either company, it works both ways.

I wish both companies well.

It's interesting that you mention DJM, as IRM initially worked with Mr Jones. I don't think I am stretching things too far saying that the experience of that probably helped shape how the guys work today.

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

I have no skin in this game at all, but according to Fran, there was a breakdown of secrecy..:

...which would indicate that any "blame" (if that's what people are apportioning) for duplication, isn't entirely fairly to be lain at Accurascale's door.  at the very least, the other party knew about the AS project.

For clarity I have no opinion on the duplication issue.

best

Scott.

100%,  no blame should be directed at either Company, free and fair competition is the basis of western capitalism, we can though share our thoughts on duplication, for such a small market it is unfortunate.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Dont forget another small company has announced a 40 too.

I didn't…as that’s the company I’m referring to. I know Bachmann have done some minor tweaks to their Class 40 recently, but I reckon they are saving their announcement of a major retooling for when the competitive threat becomes more imminent (be that from KR or Accurascale, or both ;-)

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

What are these unpecified limited editions/exclusives though?  Is this an announcement to be made at DEMU ?

60001 is in the video but i couldnt see it in the range released so maybe this will be an exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is what it is and I have two 60's on pre-order from Cavalex as in DCR & Cappagh and it will stay that way.

The only AS Class 60 that interests me at this point, luckily for my wallet, will be the DCR version to go with the Cavalex one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit sad to see the duplication where there are other locos that could do with a new model.   I won’t be getting either, but I might be able to pick up a used Hornby 60 at a very good price.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ColinK said:

A bit sad to see the duplication where there are other locos that could do with a new model.   I won’t be getting either, but I might be able to pick up a used Hornby 60 at a very good price.

Bit like saying i like 2 mercedes but a lada will do :-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Garry D100 said:

Bit like saying i like 2 mercedes but a lada will do :-)

For me it will, especially when I’ve done some work on it,.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Soul Survivor said:

I didn't…as that’s the company I’m referring to. I know Bachmann have done some minor tweaks to their Class 40 recently, but I reckon they are saving their announcement of a major retooling for when the competitive threat becomes more imminent (be that from KR or Accurascale, or both ;-)

I’ve given up on waiting for a decent modern-standard out-of-the-box 40… 😉

0033.JPG.41b9f860bf3e8de6f040abd3cd45c5ce.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I’ve given up on waiting for a decent modern-standard out-of-the-box 40… 😉

0033.JPG.41b9f860bf3e8de6f040abd3cd45c5ce.JPG

Looks like a cross between a class 37, a Deltic and a Peak, awful, awful. 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Looks like a cross between a class 37, a Deltic and a Peak, awful, awful. 🤣

Baby Deltic! Dreadful!!

Edited by 97406
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For the love of god why?  Of all the diesel and electric loco's that are screaming out to be done (08/09, 40, 67, 81-84 to name but a few), why pick a Class 60?  I for one won't be buying one.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 7

40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Well, I'm now definitely not ordering the Cavalex 60.  However I doubt I'll order the A/s version either. 

Most elucidative...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TravisM said:

For the love of god why?  Of all the diesel and electric loco's that are screaming out to be done (08/09, 40, 67, 81-84 to name but a few), why pick a Class 60?  I for one won't be buying one.

What's to say some of those also haven't been picked, along with some other things mentioned in this thread (and others) and are being worked on at a similarly speedy pace? I can think of a good half a dozen that are underway and will be revealed when the time is right. The time is right for the 60 today, but there's much more to come!

Best

Steve

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I just wanted to demonstrate that it is never just clear cut that when the second party announces that they are necessarily the ones copying. 

Fran;

This was the point I was trying to make.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

RMweb in a nutshell; old and middle-aged men lusting after attractive models. Onlyrotatingfans.com

You missed the word “younger” attractive models..

I saw the 60’s being built, from first run, to last delivered, yet I’m still only 21 years old, even if my waistline isnt.

Check out my moves on the dance floor, whenever I perform, people tend to leave me space, I like to think its in awe.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 8

Posted (edited)

Wasn't overly surprised with this really, and when the Brush works at Loughborough came up on the screen, I think most of us guessed it. 

Already have a couple on order from Cavalex, but will probably pre-order 60065 from Accurascale. (EDIT: I've gone and done it, haven't I)

Shame it's duplication, but it can't be helped, but on the bright side, theres more choice!

Edited by CazRail
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

there was a breakdown of secrecy..:

Time for a change of wheels in the Accurascale enigma machine then i would suggest......

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

I did inform the wealthy backer of the other Class 60 project almost 2 years ago that we were working on a 60, but was not told about the other project and only found out just before their announcement was made. By that time we had a tooled sample, so it was too late. He said he felt the market could sustain both, and he knows the market well. So, with that in mind, I dont think either small company (it's worth remembering that we are the true definition of that too) will be "cream crackered".

Cavalex announced theirs almost 18 months ago, around the time the chap in your video says he was still surveying 60s at Leicester. So the implication here is you went from surveying to a tooled sample within a few months and then sat on it for 18 months until now? 

You can make whatever you like, and whilst it’s unfortunate, I expect both to do well - but to me this part doesn’t make sense. 

Edited by stationroad
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2