Old Dapol J94/18” Austerity

alexl102

Hi, 

I’ve got a few of Hornby’s Hunslet 18” Austerity tanks from the early 2000s and, whilst they may not be the most up to date model I do like them.

I’ve seen a few of the old Dapol J94s for sale second hand recently. I just wondered how they compare to the Hornby model for detail but most importantly running quality and pulling power?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, alexl102 said:

Hi, 

I’ve got a few of Hornby’s Hunslet 18” Austerity tanks from the early 2000s and, whilst they may not be the most up to date model I do like them.

I’ve seen a few of the old Dapol J94s for sale second hand recently. I just wondered how they compare to the Hornby model for detail but most importantly running quality and pulling power?

Older Dapol and Hornby are pretty much the same.

I have a mix of 1990’s (68068/Warrington), with newer Hornby (Whiston) and DJ (Yellow, Robert) and they all play ok together, the DJ one imho is much better but its 30 years younger.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, alexl102 said:

Hi, 

They're fine.

But you can get brand new EFE ones for very good prices at the moment and they will be under warranty from Bachmann. Might be worth a look if you are thinking of adding some more.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, alexl102 said:

Hi, 

I got an early J94 new. It was just about the best runner I had at the time. The number on the tank is in a peculiar font. Hornby still uses the same basic tooling and, whilst the decoration is better, I’m not convinced that the running is quite as good as the original model. Some of the DJ ones are beautifully decorated but have weak motors. Some features of the DJ models, notably the injectors and the wheels, fall a little short of what I would expect an ultimate model to be.

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Older Dapol and Hornby are pretty much the same.

14 hours ago, alexl102 said:

If you can find one little used in good condition at a sensible price, snap it up. The Hornby is made from the same tooling.  The design of the mechanism is sound, and should run quietly, smoothly and slowly, if it can be given a test run to prove it is a goodun.

• Like 1

My earliest one is now fitted with a Lambton cab, DCC sound and a stay-alive and is a regular performer on NO PLACE, where it will happily work a whole day shunting the colliery screens.

There is a pronounced gearbox whine at higher speeds but the colliery shunter rarely gets above walking place.  

number7atHinckley.jpg.e75e5ece6c3d29c6a48677eeb4d0f7d2.jpg

Les

• Like 1

I've picked up two 'as new' EFE ones from eBay recently. Both for less than half the list price. One runs beautifully. The other is a pig. It really needs fettled.

The EFE model does look very good, but it seems extremely light. I'm going to add some weight to my pair. 

7 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I've picked up two 'as new' EFE ones from eBay recently. Both for less than half the list price. One runs beautifully. The other is a pig. It really needs fettled.

The EFE model does look very good, but it seems extremely light. I'm going to add some weight to my pair. 

My DJM and EFE J94/WDs all have as much lead stuffed into the smokebox as I can.  It helps them stay on the track, but there are parts of NO PLACE that a Hornby or Dapol J94 can reach that a DJM/EFE can't.  The Dapol/Hornby has exceptional track holding.

Les

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I have an early Hornby version, which is a pretty satisfactory runner if a bit whiny (gear noise).  Purchased at a reasonable cost from Robert at Cardiff Antiques a few years ago.  Good colliery loco and will pull anything I can couple to it.  AFAIK the EFE is derived from the DJM model, which has a bit of a reputation for being a bit hit & miss when it comes to running, and for that reason I have avoided it.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Thanks all. I am considering an EFE example but when the Dapol ones are going for half the price generally, it's tempting to get two of those instead! Also the Dapol had the conical chimney, which appeals to me.

• Like 2