Clifford Road TMD (7mm/O Gauge)

Clifford Road

C+L fine scale sell large bottles/tubs of 7mm ballast it's good though it does need a rather PVA heavy mix with water to fix it down and needs to be left for a while to go off.

But remember to paint the track before you ballast.

Thanks Pete, when you say a heavy PVA mix, I presume you mean more glue than water!? I note that C+L finescale specifically state not to use PVA but to use Copydex or some latex glue ... is that just C+L's way or is there some adverse reaction between their ballast and PVA? Any idea?

Thanks again ... and many thanks for answering my endless questions! Its all appreciated.

Rich

Evening all,

Well no actual progress on the layout today, the proposed working of the two Class 20s didn't happen ... although one of them has vanished from the depot - rumour mill suggests it went out light engine about 7pm under the cover of darkness! In reality its gone to my workbench to have a standard DCC non-sound chip fitted!

Returning from the workbench and back in one piece for the first time in around three weeks is 37043, which is now complete with working lights and an SWD sound chip. Have to say i'm well impressed - have heard them on layouts and YouTube, and was listing the to SWD layout at Warley, but its the first time i've had a sound chip myself and first time controlling one - definitely wouldn't go back! The 20s are going to sound too quiet after that! Well at least I know what the next investment will be!!!

For a newbie, I've got to say fitting the 37 chip wasn't as difficult as I imagined it would be, thanks to SWDs wiring diagram, although I think a few basic instructions would have worked well alongside. Although I guess most of their trade is OO gauge which mainly has the DCC sockets now!

I have to say that the "paint trick" on the 37's buffer beam doesn't look too bad on the photos; it seems to conceal the lack of a cut-away buffer beam quite well.

F-Unit, I promised you some pictures of the 37 once it was all back together ... so ......

post-9617-096620900 1292372356_thumb.jpg

post-9617-033794800 1292372375_thumb.jpg

post-9617-034897700 1292372428_thumb.jpg

post-9617-050652100 1292372462_thumb.jpg

Also been completed tonight is the fitment of a SWD sound-chip to the Class 08 ... which sounds good, but quiet. I used the standard circular speaker, which was already attached to the decoder, mainly because I didn't fancy splitting the wire to change it to the replacement rectangular speaker which I bought as well ... but having tried changing CV63 and its had no effect, i'm thinking it may need both speakers attached. The big query being that the second speaker doesn't have any wires attached .. should it do? or is it a 'wire it yourself' job? Anyone any ideas???

post-9617-014887900 1292372907_thumb.jpg

Hopefully progress will be made on the scenic sections again tomorrow .....

Rich

F-Unit, I promised you some pictures of the 37 once it was all back together ... so ......

:D :D :D Very nice indeed! :)

37s are one of those designs that look good in almost any livery, but for me (and many others I suppose) a tractor in Largo Blue will forever shout "1980s Scottish Region"... B)

BTW, a bit OT; but the nickname I always knew 37s by was "Siphons"... "Tractors" must be a late-80s-onwards nickname..?? Anyone add to this??

Hi Rich,

I put the standard LokSound V3.5 with 100 ohm bass port speaker in my Bachmann 08 as well as the ESU breakout board to allow extra functions to be added. The board also makes mounting the decoder easier as well. Lots of room inside though.

But as for volume, loud. With the bass port speaker I have mine turned well down as its LOUD.

Sorry cannot post pictures, I'm away from home until 23rd but will take some then if you want.

Guest Digital

Hi Rich,

As a fellow "O" gauge user myself I will be following your progress with great interest.

Good to see you have fitted out the Class 37 with a sound decoder, as you say it is fairly easy to do and Steve at SWD is always very helpful.

I did a small guide on fitting the decoder myself "Heljan Class 37 Decoder fitting". Look forward to seeing how you get on fitting a sound decoder to the Class 20 which is slightly more difficult with not a lot of room for the decoder.

The Heljan Class 37's look great in large logo blue.

Regards

John

Willaston road O Gauge Model Railway

The layout looks good and that tractor looks stunning! ive got a Heljan 37 some where... in the attick in blue but when i get the time it will be resprayed as 37116 COMET as thats the only one i can justify on my layout with cowlings!!!

And as for NickNames for 37's youve got Tractors & Siphons and the older generation call em Type 3's But what ever there called the absoulte MONSTERS :D

Chris

Afternoon all,

F-Unit, Thanks :) Large Logo really did suit the 37s, although I think it was a good livery for the 47s and 56s too personally. Must be a late 80s nickname, as mid-eighties I was about 7 and remember dad taking me out to see 20s, 31s, 37s, 47s etc.. (Oh Happy Days!) and always knew 37s as Tractors!

TTG - Interesting ... I didn't know about a breakout board, will have to look at that one more closely. I'd apprecaite a couple of pictures of how you did yours when you can if you don't mind, either on here or as a PM.

Pete - I have a feeling the resistance is getting weaker! Lol! I can just imagine two or three Large Logo 37s sat ticking over on the depot! I think it will just sound like the days of old!

John - Nice to have you onboard, Pete has been showing off your layout and I've got to say its a credit to both of you - well done. I did have a good read (several times!) of your guide before doing the 37, it helped alot, so thanks for that. The 20s are going to be interesting, especially in view of your comment, I must admit, I did think it was more of a straight forward replacement of Heljan board for Loksound XL board, although I haven't opened the 20s up yet to have a look. I wish Heljan and the decoder companies would come up with something similar to the DCC sockets/plugs on OO!!!

PeteH - Thanks - ah that make sense now, I'll go with the PVA variety then!

Chris (37023) & Kristian - Thanks (again!) for your kind comments. I'm very impressed with the Heljan 37s as I've said previously, but in LL they really are the business! Roll on March for the Sulzer!!

Rich

Rich, not much to show to be honest as its just thrown in there to see it run and make sure it sounded ok.

I want to drill out the maker lights and put fibre optic through into the cab and mount SMC LED's there to shine through. But I needed to get the right combination of lights and got lots of useful replies to my request to what colour are the maker lights. Seems they are all white and they used a oil lamp for the red tail light. So now having got the LED's and oil lamps I may just get around to it over Xmas, may be.

With the 108 coming from Easy Build I may get distracted and I'm also half way through painting a load of mineral wagons and adding loads to them.

But will take a few pictures for you and post on here. Blue tac and all. :lol:

Guest Digital

Afternoon all,

John - Nice to have you onboard, Pete has been showing off your layout and I've got to say its a credit to both of you - well done. I did have a good read (several times!) of your guide before doing the 37, it helped alot, so thanks for that. The 20s are going to be interesting, especially in view of your comment, I must admit, I did think it was more of a straight forward replacement of Heljan board for Loksound XL board, although I haven't opened the 20s up yet to have a look. I wish Heljan and the decoder companies would come up with something similar to the DCC sockets/plugs on OO!!!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the welcome.

The Class 20 to me does not lend itself for easy fitting of an ESU Loksound decoder, at least not as easy as the Class 37.

When you take the body off you will see what I mean.

The decoder is wider than the existing circuit Board and will not fit horizontaly as in the 37, so I had to fit it vertically.

Regards

John

The Class 20 to me does not lend itself for easy fitting of an ESU Loksound decoder, at least not as easy as the Class 37. When you take the body off you will see what I mean.

The decoder is wider than the existing circuit Board and will not fit horizontaly as in the 37, so I had to fit it vertically.

Hi John,

Ah right, you know I've never thought about the body being narrower on the Class 20!! Did you use the Heljan lights or replace them with the SWD (or an other?) lighting kit?

Which reminds me, on my 37, due to a faulty screw on the AUX2 input, i've had to put the No. 2 end tail lights on Aux 3 - do you (or anybody!) have any idea as to how you reprogramme F8 to work Aux3 rather than Aux2? I've looked in the digitrax manual, but got totally lost!

Rich

Hi all,

Well big (for me anyway!) update from almost an entire afternoon and evening working on the layout. The biggest change has been the move from DC to DCC. I've had the boxes here for a little while, but have been waiting for the sound decoders before moving over (hence, why the 20s haven't worked yet!) Because I wanted to play (sorry utilise!) the computer for some of the operations ... yes ok, i'm an IT geek and enjoy that side of things! ... I went for the Digitrax system rather than Lenz, and have to say its worked really well for me so far. I like the UP5 panels, which allow you to plug the walkabout controllers into various places. As a result I've a panel by the sector plate, another panel by the main shed and the booster sat in the middle of the layout (into which the controller can also be plugged in.)

So most of this afternoon has been spent sorting the LocoNet cabling out to connect the panels to the booster and also fitting and wiring up a CML Electronics DAC10 board, which is now successfully operating three out of the four points - the fourth is awaiting the fitting of its operating tortoise motor, before being added to the system. I'm amazed how neat i've got the wiring to be honest!

Tonight, the last of the buildings was completed a (very thin!) fuelling shed. Yes, I know it really should be deeper, but it comes up to the backscene (which is hiding the fiddle siding). I think i've finally proved to myself that it all looks right and once clad in steelwork/brickwork etc.. will really work well. The whole track plan has worked better than I thought it would after a short running session tonight.

post-9617-090285700 1292540202_thumb.jpg

37043 arrives on shed, and awaits permission to enter the shed for fueling.

post-9617-014897400 1292540330_thumb.jpg

Having been fuelled, 37043 is moved outside by the shed pilot driver.

post-9617-019069300 1292540342_thumb.jpg

A view showing how the fuel shed fits alongside the backscene (tallest structure) and alongside the depot offices (right)

post-9617-062208700 1292540370_thumb.jpg

08227, passes 37043 having arrived off a local trip working.

Next plan is to get them clad and get the offices looking right! :)

Hope you enjoy the sights of Clifford Road TMD

Rich

post-9617-088121800 1292540403_thumb.jpg

Very nice Rich. I really want to get on with my layout and your pictures make me want to get on even more.

Was at DCC Supplies yesterday and picked up more ESU goodies and 1mm & 2mm fibre optic fibre to use in the 08 marker lights.

Good you have got your DCC system up and running. I will use my new ECoS with mine and RR&Co for point and signal control and as its very good at running the trains I can sit back and enjoy it all happen as if I was an observer looking down from a bridge or on a platform. Already done the layout files in RR&Co for the layout, just need the layout now. :)

Guest Digital

Hi John,

Ah right, you know I've never thought about the body being narrower on the Class 20!! Did you use the Heljan lights or replace them with the SWD (or an other?) lighting kit?

Which reminds me, on my 37, due to a faulty screw on the AUX2 input, i've had to put the No. 2 end tail lights on Aux 3 - do you (or anybody!) have any idea as to how you reprogramme F8 to work Aux3 rather than Aux2? I've looked in the digitrax manual, but got totally lost!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Nice progress you have made on the layout.

I used the existing lighting on the Class 20 which are fine for my needs.

To change the function outputs needs some function remapping and will require some alterations to CV's.

My system is Lenz and I tend to only alter the day to day Cv's like Acceleration Braking etc with the handset and programming track.

For fuction remapping and more advanced changes I use the Lok programmer and my Decoder Tester which also has a rolling road connected to change my settings which makes things a lot easier.

I can set the decoder up before fitting to the loco and if any further alterations are required when the decoder is installed in the loco use the rolling road.

Look forward to seeing more progress on your layout.

Regards

John

Nice work the fueling depot is a nice touch, Good progress, Ive finished track laying for now, Which progress will be updated tomorow :D

Thanks Kristian. Looking forward to seeing progress with your layout.

Very nice Rich. I really want to get on with my layout and your pictures make me want to get on even more. Good you have got your DCC system up and running. I will use my new ECoS with mine and RR&Co for point and signal control and as its very good at running the trains I can sit back and enjoy it all happen as if I was an observer looking down from a bridge or on a platform. Already done the layout files in RR&Co for the layout, just need the layout now. :)

I'm pleased its inspiring people! RMWeb has inspired me to push on ... and have already reached further than I have with any other layout so I'm well pleased!!! I may come back to you with some queries about TrainController (TC). My idea is to use it purely as a signalling panel. Having the sector plate (unmotorised) doesn't make it achievable for automatic operation! Am currently reading through the TC manual so I know what I'm doing when I get there! One step to go though before getting TC, thats fitting the detection board, so I know where everything is. I do have a CML Tower Master card here .... so at some point, the layout may end up with an NX (eNtrance/eXit) panel for control as well!

Keep em coming Rich - its shaping up nicely.

RESIST RESIST RESIST...

I never tire to see that LL 37 either ;)

Haha! Let me know when you want pushing over the edge and I'lll put a video on with the sound chip active as well! Close as you can get to owning the real thing I reckon!!!!

On a separate subject, I'm also thinking there should be a two or three aspect signal on the exit road from the shed? And I seem to recall servicing sheds would have the equivilent to a ground signal, outside, protecting the building entrance? Anyone any thoughts of photographs?

Rich

Nice progress you have made on the layout. I used the existing lighting on the Class 20 which are fine for my needs. To change the function outputs needs some function remapping and will require some alterations to CV's.

Thanks John both for the layout comments and the info on DCC.

Ta

Rich

• RMweb Gold

rich, hi

just scrolling back and I can't recall seeing a track plan in the time honoured rmweb tradition :D

i know the track layout is very simple but am always interested to see the positions of buildings / other scenics - do you have one to hand?

tia

pete

Guest Digital

Rich

Hi Rich,

I have been having a quick look at what you want to do.

I presume F8 has not been set to control any sounds.

***Before you change any of the CV's below make a note of what they are set at so they can be restored if required***

If you go to Page 26 of the Loksound manual you will find the Function mapping chart.

Looking at the chart F8 Forward is CV 189 and F8 Backward is CV 192 if they are currently set to operate Aux 2 then if you read the CV's you should find them set at 8 (Refer to Function Mapping Chart).

To change them to operate Aux 3 (Refer to Function Mapping Chart) change the values to 16. This will then operate Aux 3 in both directions by using F8.

Hope this helps

John

rich, hi

Just scrolling back and I can't recall seeing a track plan in the time honoured rmweb tradition :D

i know the track layout is very simple but am always interested to see the positions of buildings / other scenics - do you have one to hand?

pete

Its amazing what happens when you ask isn't it ...... :)

Hope its clear enough and readable. The small black lines denote the DCC section breaks (usually accompanied by plastic railjoiners!) Any queries, just shout!!!!

Rich

post-9617-080475300 1292608148_thumb.jpg

Archived