USATC S160 2-8-0 in OO - Available to Pre-Order!

• Administrators

@RapidoCorbs - what an absolutely superb presentation video; some great footage and images I have never seen. 👏

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’m seriously impressed by the choice of subject, the variety of models and the honesty of pointing out where strict accuracy on one variant would have been too expensive to do. Excellent launch video too. Well done, Rapido!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was impressed by the amount of information for each variant in your official email.

This helped me make my choice.

Order placed with my favourite retailer for the Crewe based LMS version.

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice video presentation, though occasionally, tiny bits of it sounded like Boris Johnson 😅

Spoilt for choice, 10 main ones and 3 exclusives.

A couple of years back Rapido announced they were working on a smoke generator for a big loco and I half expected it for this model (being a big loco). So was it dropped? Or is there a bigger loco in the works?

• Like 1

Been looking forward to the livery announcement for ages, and didn’t disappoint!

5820 DCC Sound and 6046 DCC Ready were must haves. Can’t wait for the day these arrive. 

Agree also that the video was superb with some great archive footage! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Rapido staff
17 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

A couple of years back Rapido announced they were working on a smoke generator for a big loco and I half expected it for this model (being a big loco). So was it dropped? Or is there a bigger loco in the works?

No smoke gen on this model, but TRS Trains offer an aftermarket smoke generator service and there should be space in the smokebox to fit it if the forward speaker is removed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

YES! YES! YES!

The S160 has been a top of the want list of OO Gauge locomotives since I started modeling in this scale about 12 years ago. Simply over the moon this announcement and cannot wait to bring 1604 home... but it does need to be paired with one from the Lima Locomotives Works... but which? 😁

Now I have to mention my HO friends are quite jealous, they're hoping the Canadian team can develop some in 1:87! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

@RapidoCorbs - what an absolutely superb presentation video; some great footage and images I have never seen. 👏

Including excellent footage of one passing Bramley (GWR) very fittingly filmed from the connection into the exchange sidings which served the extensive - 30 miles of track - WD network serving the large ordnance depot and army camps in the area. (I wonder what else was filmed there that day?)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s truly a day for pausing and thinking about the USA and its mammoth and decisive contribution in terms of material input ….the S160 being part of it….and of course the GI’s who served and gave their lives so that Europe could be freed from a monstrous tyranny. I was a small child of two on D Day. But before that my mother & father gave a billet for a short while to two of them . They apparently were very kind and generous and helped our frugal ration situation with goodies from their PX. We never heard subsequently of their fate. But they were never forgotten.

The S160 did operate on the GWR.That’s well documented and photographed. I have a dim memory of walking with my grandfather & hearing that “siren” across the valley in the direction on the Vale of Neath. Just a plume of steam .But then grandpa said..Oh..It’s one of them Yankees.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I’ll second that.Best ever . Just watched on widescreen YouTube channel . What a great treat. The video is award winning material….pure genius 👏

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Rapido staff
1 minute ago, class8mikado said:

Superb, suspect its not been noticed that Big Jim has a different chimney but still brilliant. 

A Lempor IIRC - a bit hard to do without altering the chimney base but we're hoping people understand the original chimney is close-as-possible.

• Like 3

Brilliant presentation. By far one of the best if not the best I've seen and as a man who models Preservation. Sound fitted Omaha and 6046 have been ordered. Can't wait 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, class8mikado said:

Superb, suspect its not been noticed that Big Jim has a different chimney but still brilliant. 

I wonder what Mrs. big jim thinks about that. 😄

• Funny 7

2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Nice video presentation, though occasionally, tiny bits of it sounded like Boris Johnson 😅

Spoilt for choice, 10 main ones and 3 exclusives.

Hi, I've seen the two Rails special but I haven't seen a third. Could you point me in the right direction? Intrigued by what it could be.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

A Lempor IIRC - a bit hard to do without altering the chimney base but we're hoping people understand the original chimney is close-as-possible.

Fairly certain that exhaust system was added during the overhaul ahead of its return ti service in 2014, so it'll be right for preservation in the 1980s and 1990s anyway I think.