Are they too fragile for long-distance shipping?

Posted (edited)

Hello everybody just a general question last five or six shipments that I have received from the US of freight cars in total about 30 different freight cars I have average of one per box with a loose weight inside the car okay the exterior of the manufacturers liner that the car is housed in normally made of clear plastic does the job well protecting the exterior and the under frame and brake lines but the weight  inside the body shell itself seems to have a mind of its Own and tends to work loose not too bad a repair on a box car if the roof is removable or the body from the chassis but some of the highly detailed grain hoppers with etched metal roof walkways and under hatches are extremely difficult I may result  to drilling a hole underneath and injected some type of glue to see if the weight will secure rather than take the car apart this is not linked to one particular brand as I have received Athearn genesis  Atlas and exactrail this makes ask  a question are they too fragile for long distance shipping?

Edited by TTDB

True I can’t imagine them  lifting boxes individually with cotton gloves  I’ve seen them at warehouses manhandling stuff it’s obviously jrje way the boxes are being handled that’s causing the weights to come loose  everting else on the models are fine just loose weights 

• RMweb Premium

I have had the experience with a set of 3 Exactrail box cars, one of which had a loose weight (and a roof I couldn't prise off).  This suggested to me that the glue holding the weight in place had not held.

Older cars I've had have had screwed down weights, so my thinking was the change in manufacture was not as robust (over time - please note my purchases were second hand, not new).

Not sure it's down to shipping specifically - but not surprised I'm not alone in having noticed the problem, Keith.