Southern Electric 2-Character Headcodes

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Just published

Screenshot2024-03-25at22_06_15.png.dca5f25333e413bef73270f1f70d83b6.png

The "Southern Electric" system of headcodes was first displayed on trains in 1911.  

The text discusses history, usage, operational aspects, equipment and reasoning behind the system which is likely to finally vanish from the public eye next year.  Listings include the original LB&SCR "overhead electric" headcodes, pre-Nationalisation and Southern Railway letter codes with explanations of the array of dots and bars used with them, SR then BR-era numeric headcodes and the large number of alpha-numeric and alphabetic headcodes used by freight, parcels and inter-regional trains when locomotive-hauled.  Further listings include cross-London Thameslink class 319 headcodes, unused codes for Cornish routes, the Isle of Wight and other lines provided in case SR diesels worked there, roller-blind destination displays and more.

The most complete record of such information published.  The reader is left to spot oddities such as headcodes used for fish traffic when conveyed in passenger stock, codes for rambler's specials to unusual destinations or those headcodes applicable to long-closed routes and locations some of which are seldom remembered today.

Essential reference for all SR enthusiasts and those curious about this almost-unique system of train identification.  

142pp including b&w and colour illustrations.  Glossy card covers

Web link for sales to follow ASAP.  Or message me for details

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratu;ations Rick. I hope you are basking in a well earnt sense of pride and satisfaction.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Half the initial print run is now sold after just a few days.  I have re-ordered to ensure supply meets demand.  This is an encouraging start for what is a niche subject area. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Update.  Just 8 of the first print run remain unsold at time of writing.  I have an additional stock for personal distribution and the statutory library copies.  A third (!) print run is therefore likely to be required any day now.  

And the next project is under way but don't hold breath too hard as it's not expected to hit the streets until at least late next year. 

This is a very useful publication and long overdue.

I had a few very minor observations. 

I thought that the Waterloo-Kingston Loop headcodes changed from 61 and 62 to 21 and 32 in July 1967. Until July 1967, I thought 32 was a Waterloo-Alton headcode (not including Portsmouth Line portion).

There were some short-lived headcodes for Basingstoke/Bournemouth electric services prior to the July 1967 timetable change, such as 39 for Waterloo-Basingstoke, which do not appear to be mentioned. 

5385745142_a8ea6fefbb_o.jpg4-VEP 7704_7707_7701 Wimbledon 16-6-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

All source material is of interest. I was not able to obtain WTTs or similar for all years but I did sight most divisions for most years of the BR era. 

I am wondering if your view of a service showing 39 has had 93 wound up back to front. Such things did happen as I note in my text. Given that setting two-character headcodes might have been new for the driver in question (previously it was a steam-worked service) that remains a possibility. 

39 as per your attachments was for some time the Waterloo - Brentford - Reading headcode as I also illustrate in the book. It would be unusual to have the same headcode applicable to a main line working. 

All comments and feedback being duly noted as there may be a second edition in due course. “Publish and the truth will then emerge” is something I learned with the local paper half a century ago! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

All source material is of interest. I was not able to obtain WTTs or similar for all years but I did sight most divisions for most years of the BR era. 

I am wondering if your view of a service showing 39 has had 93 wound up back to front. Such things did happen as I note in my text. Given that setting two-character headcodes might have been new for the driver in question (previously it was a steam-worked service) that remains a possibility. 

39 as per your attachments was for some time the Waterloo - Brentford - Reading headcode as I also illustrate in the book. It would be unusual to have the same headcode applicable to a main line working. 

All comments and feedback being duly noted as there may be a second edition in due course. “Publish and the truth will then emerge” is something I learned with the local paper half a century ago! 

This one also has 39:

5355696138_e5dd5e7eaf_o.jpgD6544_Wimbledon_26-5-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I was pleased to see several images from my collection in the book. The SEG can basically use whichever ones they want to in their publications.

The most interesting photo in the book (not one of mine) is the 4-car suburban unit leaving St Paul's (now Blackfriars) taken when some 4-car formations were in use temporarily in the early days of the Eastern Section electrification and long before 4-Subs appeared.

There was some duplication in Western Section headcodes between the Main and Windsor Lines. 18 being an example.

Being from Worcester Park, headcodes have long fascinated me. As a child, I was somewhat baffled by seeing the same trains passing through Wimbledon and Raynes Park which had 93 or 63 down and 52 up. I eventually learned that they were the services that divided and combined at Woking.  16 and 17 were my favourite codes.

53727346947_103de4b4f9_o.jpg4-Sub_4102_RaynesPk_5-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

53740973212_7cc5464103_o.jpg4-Sub_4117_WorcPark_6-4-70 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
Minor correction.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

This one is a complete mystery to me

I have seen that image before.  I agree with c.1966 and therefore probably just prior to electrification "going live" or pending delivery of the 4-REP units.  That is surely a scratch rake being formed of maroon and b/g Mk1s then green Bulleids.  Such things occurred at that time as the electric stock was not quite ready. 

Unless it was a working from the WR with the SR loco showing 60 for 1O60.  Otherwise a special operating as 1Z60? 

The leading coach appears to have reservation labels throughout although this would not be unexpected on a holiday train of the time and does not define the working.  

60 has never been a valid headcode through Basingstoke so something of a mystery as you say.

I have located other images of headcodes C2 and G9 being used at this time.  Again these have never had a meaning on this route although both of the "reversed" versions 2C and 9G had meanings similar to the routes being worked at the time.  

In preparing the book some editorial decisions had to be made based upon the evidence available.  It may be the case that such headcodes were issued in the STN or other local notice to staff for use on one occasion only.  Given that the route should have been converted from steam directly to electric some form of temporary arrangements had to be made by all departments.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have seen that image before.  I agree with c.1966 and therefore probably just prior to electrification "going live" or pending delivery of the 4-REP units.  That is surely a scratch rake being formed of maroon and b/g Mk1s then green Bulleids.  Such things occurred at that time as the electric stock was not quite ready. 

Unless it was a working from the WR with the SR loco showing 60 for 1O60.  Otherwise a special operating as 1Z60? 

The leading coach appears to have reservation labels throughout although this would not be unexpected on a holiday train of the time and does not define the working.  

60 has never been a valid headcode through Basingstoke so something of a mystery as you say.

I have located other images of headcodes C2 and G9 being used at this time.  Again these have never had a meaning on this route although both of the "reversed" versions 2C and 9G had meanings similar to the routes being worked at the time.  

In preparing the book some editorial decisions had to be made based upon the evidence available.  It may be the case that such headcodes were issued in the STN or other local notice to staff for use on one occasion only.  Given that the route should have been converted from steam directly to electric some form of temporary arrangements had to be made by all departments.  

I think it makes sense not to attempt to cover ad hoc codes that were only in STNs.

I think the 33 at Basingstoke is a John Vaughan image. Lots of his negatives have gone on sale recently. No details came with it. I think the 60 for the final two digits of a 4-character code is quite possibly what is being displayed.

Here are some examples from my collection. I think the first one is an inter-regional summer dated service judging by the stock:

8521638898_68e31d6467_o.jpgD6526_BeaulieuRd_6-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

G2 was the regular code for this working at the time and is listed in the book:

5357723610_cc66726936_o.jpgD6564_SotonC_8-3-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

C2 on what is stated on the slide mount to be a Waterloo-Weymouth service - this is noted in the book as a code that was observed in use at the time and appears in other images in my collection:

5448346842_67d962cb10_o.jpgD6503_Weybridge_1235-Wloo-Weym_4-3-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This one is another oddity:

53416923503_d1e1afbd0f_o.jpgD6541_RaynesPark_1-7-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I think the 72 in this image is what is listed in the book as Stewarts Lane-Nunhead-Orpington-Folkestone-Dover and is probably in use for an empty stock working from Chart Leacon back to the SWD via Stewarts Lane. Note the unusual formation of a 4 Vep, 4TC and 4EPB:

50974328731_482c730e7f_o.jpg4-VEP_7716_4TC_414_4-EPB_5363_PettsWood_22-3-69 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Robert

G2 is one I remember from my school days. Having moved up to Sussex and found almost everything was electric units (a strange beast to this Cornish boy) this was the one and only exception 

I just about caught steam on it as the Plymouth reverted to that traction one winter before the stock was eth-fitted.  Come Spring back came the snarling Cromptons displaying G2. The book notes that 2G had the same meaning as far as Salisbury and this was very occasionally seen. 

It became 11 when the Hastings units took over as they had number-only blinds. And it stayed 11 when loco-haulage returned. 

I agree with your comments on the other images. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Another headcode mystery. These two photos clearly date from the early days of the Kent Coast Phase II electrification and were taken around the same time as others showing units with the more familiar headcode 4. An odd number suggests a Cannon Street service but I'm not sure what the working might have been. Passengers appear to be in at least one of the units.

53915161145_a4ac69bb9b_c.jpg2-Hap_6076_Tonbridge by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

53915161240_772506c718_c.jpg2-Hap_5606_Tonbridge by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Headcode 17 was Cannon St to Sevenoaks, so why extended to Tonbridge or beyond I have no idea. But the resignalling works are yet to be completed at Tonbridge, quite clearly. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 22/06/2024 at 09:59, robertcwp said:

I think it makes sense not to attempt to cover ad hoc codes that were only in STNs.

I think the 33 at Basingstoke is a John Vaughan image. Lots of his negatives have gone on sale recently. No details came with it. I think the 60 for the final two digits of a 4-character code is quite possibly what is being displayed.

Here are some examples from my collection. I think the first one is an inter-regional summer dated service judging by the stock:

8521638898_68e31d6467_o.jpgD6526_BeaulieuRd_6-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

G2 was the regular code for this working at the time and is listed in the book:

5357723610_cc66726936_o.jpgD6564_SotonC_8-3-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

C2 on what is stated on the slide mount to be a Waterloo-Weymouth service - this is noted in the book as a code that was observed in use at the time and appears in other images in my collection:

5448346842_67d962cb10_o.jpgD6503_Weybridge_1235-Wloo-Weym_4-3-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

This one is another oddity:

53416923503_d1e1afbd0f_o.jpgD6541_RaynesPark_1-7-67 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I think the 72 in this image is what is listed in the book as Stewarts Lane-Nunhead-Orpington-Folkestone-Dover and is probably in use for an empty stock working from Chart Leacon back to the SWD via Stewarts Lane. Note the unusual formation of a 4 Vep, 4TC and 4EPB:

50974328731_482c730e7f_o.jpg4-VEP_7716_4TC_414_4-EPB_5363_PettsWood_22-3-69 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And you can see the chimneys of the house we moved out of the previous year.    Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Headcode 17 was Cannon St to Sevenoaks, so why extended to Tonbridge or beyond I have no idea. But the resignalling works are yet to be completed at Tonbridge, quite clearly. 

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

These two photos clearly date from the early days of the Kent Coast Phase II electrification and were taken around the same time as others showing units with the more familiar headcode 4

4 was Charing Cross - Deal - Margate fast. Often non-stop Waterloo (East) to Ashford. So while that would have been a familiar sight at Tonbridge they would not all have stopped and probably used the through roads. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I thought it might simply be a short-term extension, possibly prior to the full timetable coming into force.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

4 was Charing Cross - Deal - Margate fast. Often non-stop Waterloo (East) to Ashford. So while that would have been a familiar sight at Tonbridge they would not all have stopped and probably used the through roads. 

Indeed, but here the Cep/Bep appears to be stopping and the Haps not doing so. Again, it might be prior to the full electric timetable. Does anyone know when Tonbridge was resignalled?

53725028157_b5796b466a_c.jpg4-Cep_7183_Tonbridge by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

53725928506_212a0be58c_c.jpg2-Hap_6121_Tonbridge by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rick's point about headcode 4 typically being fast to Ashford was true for the off-peak service, but in the peak things changed. So calls at Tonbridge were included. It is also worth noting that, as he says, headcode 4 went to Margate, but actually it was the rear portion, detached at Ashford, that ran there via Canterbury West. The FP, via Deal, terminated at Ramsgate sometime later.  

• Informative/Useful 1