Ponte San Rocco

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

At Exmoor Rail in Minehead yesterday, I announced the start of my next project.

PONTE SAN ROCCO (SAN ROCCO BRIDGE) is a 'what if' cameo layout / diorama set in Venice. 

This all came about after a conversation I had at SWAG. When someone said BODMIN MOOR reminded them of a diorama at Warley in 2017. This was of course Peter Dillen's "IJsselstein. A simple 'canal scene' with a train crossing a bridge. Which was a brilliant example of 'forced perspective' modelling.

I thought it would be cool to have a go at building something in the same vein. Then started a long search to find a prototype reference. Failing to find anything suitable in the UK, I started looking further afield and this led me to Venice. 

One of the things all layouts and dioramas have in common is trying to create a sense of theatre. With the fiddle yards acting as off-stage wings. Set designers in film and theatre are constantly employing different types of techniques to create a sense of depth. This can be an issue with any layout, especially as most layouts fall between 18" – 24" in depth, ie the reach of ones arm.

The layout will be operated automatically, by a DC shuttle module. One of the advantages here, is that we can run any continental stock available, steam or diesel.

The model is 20" x 16". The train will be concealed behind the buildings and the fiddle yards on each end, until it crosses the  PONTE SAN ROCCO.

Wish me luck.

VENICE DIO_YT_WORKOUT copy.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hans.Albern said:

Also Peter Dillen's "IJsselstein" is a great layout based on a dutch oil paintings and making use of a forced perspective.

@Hans.Albern just to be clear, Peter Dillen's great layout is what I was referring to in my OP. 

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Many layouts employ the use of low relief buildings in the background. The difference here is, all the buildings will be modelled in low relief.

Starting with the top left balcony. Still lots more to add, but quite pleased that we're making progress.

BALC_01a copy.jpg

BALC_01b.jpg

BALC_01c.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Decided to start with the balconies as these are easily the most challenging part of the build. Having spent a fair amount of time planning and doing tests with various materials. Have just given balcony #1 a coat of primer. Still more details to add to this but about 90% there now.

IMG_5545.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

Hi George

Are you making them out of foam board?

Looking forward to this build as forced perspective intrigues me, its interesting and informative to follow your techniques of building on top of the 2 dimensional image

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, steve45 said:

Hi George

Looking forward to this build as forced perspective intrigues me, its interesting and informative to follow your techniques of building on top of the 2 dimensional image

Hi Steve,

There are several types of 'foam board'. This is 10mm XPS foam, which is often used for installing underfloor heating.

Styrene strips for the smaller details. Next a coat of spackle to iron out the foam texture. This layer can also be carved to create surface damage and decay in places. 

I've been fascinated by forced perspective since seeing the mini dioramas in the museums in London. But apart from landscape painting, this is the first time tackling one in 3D.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, steve45 said:

building on top of the 2 dimensional image

The plan is to treat this image as if it were embossed.

Like the sides of a coin or the well known relief of the late Queen Elizabeth II on definitive stamps, sculpted by Arnold Machin.

sg2741-2742-2007-anniversary-of-the-machin-definitive-stamps-1401-p.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/06/2024 at 22:57, steve45 said:

Hi George

That's what drew my attention as well, all of my paintings use forced perspective in some way. To see it in 3d is going to be very interesting.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's what drew my attention as well, all of my paintings use forced perspective in some way. To see it in 3d is going to be very interesting.

Absolutely, 'Trompe-l'œil' and 'Forced Perspective' are fascinating and as I mentioned earlier, an ingenious method to seemingly add depth to your painting or model.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick update on this cameo layout.

Have started work on the first L/H building wall. Using 10mm XPS foam for the base. Have applied a layer of spackle to give the wall a plaster rendered effect. This also eliminates much of the unwanted texture in the stock foam. Next stage is scribing the brick courses which should be fun. The front of the layout will be a wall of 6mm birch ply. 1600 x 1000mm (sliced into sections that fit in the car). Which will act as the proscenium arch and hide the fiddle yards.

Really pleased with the gilt frame I had made for this. Will eventually be attached to a fine ramin frame underneath, using neodymium magnets. BTW, the base of the window apertures look strange because the balconies aren't in place yet.

Looking forward to modelling the Twist Rope column in the corner. I've tried out a few ideas, but have decided to carve it out of 12mm dowel.

IMG_5831.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 8