Railway Modeller subscription

Does  anyone  have  a  subscription  Railway Modeller in Ireland?  

I have not  yet  recived the  the  June  issue  which  was  issued  three weeks ago.  Usually I  get  the magazine  within two weeks  of  publucation  date,  this  is  the  2nd  time  now  as  I  had the same  problem  with  the  April  issue.  

Will be  contacting  Peco  later about  this,  but  just  wondering  if  anyone  else  is having  problems.

• 1 month later...

I too have an overseas subscription for Railway Modeller and my May and June issues were very much delayed - June arrived two days ago and it's not as if I'm on the other side of the world either, the Channel yes, but ................. The July issue would have normally arrived about now.

Unfortunately you and I and probably many others are now suffering from increased customs activity that started about three months ago due to .................................... let's hear it, BREXIT! I am led to believe some are being charged VAT/TVA even though books and magazines in the UK are zero rated.

Cheers,

Philip

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately you and I and probably many others are now suffering from increased customs activity that started about three months ago due to .................................... let's hear it, BREXIT! I am led to believe some are being charged VAT/TVA even though books and magazines in the UK are zero rated.

I don't believe this has anything to do with Brexit, rather, a "new" European approach to VAT:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_3098

Which applies equally to member states as well as to non member states, so we are not being "penalised" or "punished" as so many people insist on believing

More recent and forthcoming developments look to be making things easier, having just had a quick trawl through recent articles on the subject.

As regards the recent Railway Modeller issues described, best contact Railway Modeller and inform them of the problem as Irishmail said, I would have thought.

Or just carry on complaining, now there's an idea for a modern twist on an old film franchise😈

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no sign of the  July issue,  phoned  Peco  just over two weeks ago who said replament copy  sent out.  August  issue  was  out last week.

May have to  phone  them again.

• Friendly/supportive 1

My July copy arrived about a week ago! I have the impression that the subscriber's issue is sent out a little later than the newsagents' copies (different cover if that makes a difference).

Good luck,

Philip

• RMweb Premium

You could always consider taking out digital subscriptions.  I use pocketmags.com which allows you to  retain your copies even if you stop subscribing, but other offers are available.   My BRM copies arrive a few days before the paper copies hit the UK streets.

Personally I cannot use a computer screen for reading my mags (wrong orientation of the display) and so use a cheap tablet.

On VAT, you should be charged.  The VAT rate in the production country  is of no import.  It is the VAT rate in the country of purchase that counts - so 20% in France.

As far as Brexit is concerned, it does have an impact since sales within the EU have the VAT adjusted automatically.  Outside the EU (unless the company has registered to pay VAT to the relevant authority) goods do get held up for VAT and potentially duty assessment and given that those that have had the VAT pre-paid will need to go through the sorting process, I suspect there will be delays there too. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Philou said:

My July copy arrived about a week ago! I have the impression that the subscriber's issue is sent out a little later than the newsagents' copies (different cover if that makes a difference).

Good luck,

Philip

Until recently mostly my copies arrived within two weeks of publication date.  Problems started with the April issiue, May arrived within the usual two weeks but then had to contact Railway Modller subs dept the say about the June and July issues.

When I spoke to them informing that this was the third time that I have had problems, the person did not seem to be that concerned and just said that a replacemnt would be sent out. 

Re the June issue, the replacement copy came two weeks after phoning and then I got the 'subscribers' copy delivered the day the July one was issued.

It has never really been an issues previously until the April one.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

On VAT, you should be charged.  The VAT rate in the production country  is of no import.  It is the VAT rate in the country of purchase that counts - so 20% in France.

As far as Brexit is concerned, it does have an impact since sales within the EU have the VAT adjusted automatically.  Outside the EU (unless the company has registered to pay VAT to the relevant authority) goods do get held up for VAT and potentially duty assessment and given that those that have had the VAT pre-paid will need to go through the sorting process, I suspect there will be delays there too. 

I don't wish to appear pedantic, but I do not think that VAT is "adjusted automatically" as you assert above. From reading the relevant publications and my own experience in sending goods into Europe, a supplier (including any supplier in the EU), since 2001 needs to obtain an IOSS number and apply VAT at the rate prevailing in the destination country, as described in the link I provided further up the thread.

I am not clear that any of this has anything whatever to do with "Brexit" and to suggest otherwise is wrong, mischievous and tedious.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood something?

Edited by Not Jeremy

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

You could always consider taking out digital subscriptions.  I use pocketmags.com which allows you to  retain your copies even if you stop subscribing, but other offers are available.   My BRM copies arrive a few days before the paper copies hit the UK streets.

Personally I cannot use a computer screen for reading my mags (wrong orientation of the display) and so use a cheap tablet.

Hi Andy,  how do you find the pocketmags app.  At the moment I have Continental Modeller on digital supscription  via  exact editions  and  Railway Modeller  have access  via the  printed  subscription.  I like the idea of  retaining copies  if you  no longer have a subscription.  Like  you  I cant  get on  reading mags on a PC. 

Regards,  John

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

I don't wish to appear pedantic, but I do not think that VAT is "adjusted automatically" as you assert above. From reading the relevant publications and my own experience in sending goods into Europe, a supplier (including any supplier in the EU), since 2001 needs to obtain an IOSS number and apply VAT at the rate prevailing in the destination country, as described in the link I provided further up the thread.

I am not clear that any of this has anything whatever to do with "Brexit" and to suggest otherwise is wrong, mischievous and tedious.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood something?

So how do you pay EU VAT to the correct EU country?  Genuine interest.

I know nothing of what you sell into the EU but I can assure you that for example and only for example:

Rails goods arriving in the EU require the recipient to pay VAT plus service charge.  These goods have UK VAT removed so the net price is only slightly larger.

Ditto Bachmann collectors club but not sure if VAT if removed.

Ditto Ebay professional traders who bypass the GSP.   Generally VAT remains in place although many sellers may not be VAT registered.

On the other hand I have received some books where no demand has been made and where I was expecting 20% VAT plus service charge.  Perhaps they came from you.

The Brexit bit is simply that bags of parcels arrive at customs (which they avoided pre Brexit) and have to be sorted into VAT/Duty required and no payment due.  This creates delays if nothing else.    So nothing mischievous, just reality.

But we are way off topic.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Well my July copy turned up yesterday, only six weeks after publication date.  Longest I've know for an item to come across the Irish Sea!! Must have taken the GWR (Great way round) or LNER (Late, never early) routes lol.. 😕.

Be interesting to see if and when to August copy turnes up, (issued two weeks ago).

Edited by irishmail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My August issue arrived in Canada earlier this week.

It seems like a short time ago that the July issue came.

And I still haven't finished the kit from June.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, irishmail said:

Well my July copy turned up yesterday, only six weeks after publication date.  Longest I've know for an item to come across the Irish Sea!! Must have taken the GWR (Great way round) or LNER (Late, never early) routes lol.. 😕.

Be interesting to see if and when to August copy turnes up, (issued two weeks ago).

July's hasn't arrived here yet. I don't expect August's for a couple more weeks.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, BR60103 said:

My August issue arrived in Canada earlier this week.

It seems like a short time ago that the July issue came.

And I still haven't finished the kit from June.

Wow that was quick!  They can manage to get it across the Atlantic Ocean, but not the Irish Sea!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well,  looks  like another  phone  call  to Peco  tomorrow.  September  Modeller  out  this  week  and still no  sign  of  August  copy!

• Friendly/supportive 3

Don't panic, Mrs Mannering, don't panic. Mine hasn't arrived yet, either. 'Spect they're both in the same bundle waiting to be sorted ;) .

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, irishmail said:

Well,  looks  like another  phone  call  to Peco  tomorrow.  September  Modeller  out  this  week  and still no  sign  of  August  copy!

2 hours ago, Philou said:

Don't panic, Mrs Mannering, don't panic. Mine hasn't arrived yet, either. 'Spect they're both in the same bundle waiting to be sorted ;) .

You're lucky! July's hasn't arrived here yet...

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You're lucky! July's hasn't arrived here yet...

Guess what - July's issue arrived in today's post!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Philou said:

........................... and August arrived at lunchtime here in Château Chez Nous.

Any news @irishmail ?

I sent an email  to Peco/RM and  this is  the reply  I recieved  earler  today. I will see  when  the August  one  turns  up,  May  see  if  they  can  change  my subscription  to  the  digital  only  version,  still  have  six issuse  remaining  on my  current  subs.

Regards,  John

Hi,

We have re issued an August edition.  We have raised the postal issue for our customers in Ireland to our manager who is looking into it.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards

Tina

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Philou said:

Interestingly, it was the case that publishers consolidated and injected their items into the mail system via a third party. 

IIRC Swisspost used to be very cost effective, compared to Royal Mail.  But, it meant that individual items were subject to the anomalies associated with their distribution network.

For example, if the 3rd party doesn't fly direct from UK to Australia, they will go via a remote hub.  If they only have a weekly slot to a specific location you might wait seven days for despatch.  If the next slot is already at capacity (weight), it may not make the first consignment, leaving it in the depot for 14 days before forwarding. 

Also, not all post is equal.  Some materials are treated as priority while "plastics" (magazines) tend to be lower down the list.

Good/fast/cheap - pick two!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Guess what - July's issue arrived in today's post!

I get an email from my newsagents when it is available for pick up - still waiting.

• Friendly/supportive 2

The replacement July copy arrived yesterday, still no sign of the August copy.  September one was out on Tuesday.  When I phone Peco to enquire about the delays in delivery the response is they will send a replacement issue out,  and dont really seem to be concerned about the delays.  I now have two copies of the June and July issues!  Possibly  end up with two August copies to when they eventually turn up.

• Friendly/supportive 1