HST valenta sound which decoder to choose?

125_driver

Posted (edited)

My HST fleet is currently fitted with Hornby TTS valenta sound. It's OK, don't get me wrong, but just watching an excellent 1990s HST cab ride clip and hearing the actual sound has got me wondering if there are better options available? I believe Legomanbiffo and Howes both do a HST decoder, does anyone have a view on which is best, or indeed are there any other options out there? 

Edited by 125_driver

• 125_driver changed the title to HST valenta sound which decoder to choose?
Posted (edited)

I've put Legomanbiffo's sound in both power cars using an EM2 speaker in both which needs only a bit of alteration to the bodywork .

Highly recommended .

Edited by Albie the plumber
Grammar !
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank-you for the above recommendation. I have looked at the legomanbiffo decoder , but have a slight issue with it, in that there is a notice on the site saying the decider address shouldn't be changed whilst in the Hornby HST due to issues with the circuit board. I change the addresses of my power cars very frequently (for reasons I won't bore you with), so that slightly precludes Legomanbiffo for me. I then looked at the Howes decoder, but when looking through the range of functions, there doesn't appear to be the vital "notch up" and " notch down" functions which I consider pretty important in realistic HST operation. Would the notching up and down be purely automatic , or am I missing something? 

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure the issue with changing address is only for older HST models and even then it would be a problem with any ESU decoder.

• Trade Member

This was an issue with a batch of Hornby HST’s about 10 years ago hence the advice. As far as I know it’s no longer a problem. Easily solved even with the ‘problem’ batch by changing the address before putting the chips in the offending models. The Valenta HST’s sound great through EM2 speakers, and you can now turn the treble up slightly in the chip to balance up their frequency response. Hope this helps.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, legomanbiffo said:

This was an issue with a batch of Hornby HST’s about 10 years ago hence the advice. As far as I know it’s no longer a problem. Easily solved even with the ‘problem’ batch by changing the address before putting the chips in the offending models. The Valenta HST’s sound great through EM2 speakers, and you can now turn the treble up slightly in the chip to balance up their frequency response. Hope this helps.

Almost all my HSTs would date from about 6 years ago, so may or may not be affected. The issue I have is I frequently change the address of the loco and so taking the decoder in and out isn't an option. It's frustrating, as everything I've read suggests this is the best option but the inability to easily change address could well be prohibitive. 

• Trade Member
On 30/05/2024 at 05:47, 125_driver said:

Thank-you for the above recommendation. I have looked at the legomanbiffo decoder , but have a slight issue with it, in that there is a notice on the site saying the decider address shouldn't be changed whilst in the Hornby HST due to issues with the circuit board. I change the addresses of my power cars very frequently (for reasons I won't bore you with), so that slightly precludes Legomanbiffo for me. I then looked at the Howes decoder, but when looking through the range of functions, there doesn't appear to be the vital "notch up" and " notch down" functions which I consider pretty important in realistic HST operation. Would the notching up and down be purely automatic , or am I missing something? 

The current range of HSTs produced since 2019 are no OK, it was a batch of models from 2018 that had an issue, not our decoders.  This issue applied to 'ALL' decoders, not just ESU Ones.

Charlie (Legoomanbiffo/dckits.  PPS we pre program the HST addresses to 125.

On 31/05/2024 at 23:17, charliepetty said:

The current range of HSTs produced since 2019 are no OK, it was a batch of models from 2018 that had an issue, not our decoders.  This issue applied to 'ALL' decoders, not just ESU Ones.

Charlie (Legoomanbiffo/dckits.  PPS we pre program the HST addresses to 125.

So I have a fleet almost all from the 2018 release intercity swallow TTS (43078 and 079), variously renumbered. Would that be the batch affected??? Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Trade Member
13 hours ago, 125_driver said:

So I have a fleet almost all from the 2018 release intercity swallow TTS (43078 and 079), variously renumbered. Would that be the batch affected??? Thanks.

Have you tried reprogramming them ????

Charlie

7 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Have you tried reprogramming them ????

Charlie

They happily reprogramme 100 percent of the time whilst fitted with a Hornby TTS decoder (as purchased). No issues whatsoever. Does this mean there would be no issues with your decoders?

• Trade Member

I have never used TTS decoders in any model so I cannot say,  we have sold 100's of HST Paxman Decoders with very few issues over the last couple of years.

Charlie

• Thanks 1