When I was in Mexico in 1996 the group visited a number railway depots and the National Railway Museum in Puebla.

The museum had a running Alco PA that was used by Ferrocarriles Nacionales de México. I was lucky enough to take it for a quick spin along a few yards of track and back again; somewhat of a nerve racking experience!

At one of the depots (embarrassingly I forget which) we also saw the remains of one their other PAs. Incredibly this was repatriated to the US and restored at the Smithsonian.

steve

B15CC1A9-6245-4BF8-AB83-677A2881D28C.jpeg

8460A0C5-159C-4B22-B221-D5EF6BBB449A.jpeg

763D8754-8575-4D95-A0F0-04D1042D29DF.jpeg

55825614-3346-4FF7-9221-F280DAD9FE8C.jpeg

1BBE5ABE-7BF7-4247-8647-8BAA3AE97DE6.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I think these were ex-Santa Fe units, via the D&H?

They were, D&H bought four PAs from Santa Fe in late 1967, they were rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen in 1974-75 with 251 engines. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In the early 70s my holiday plan included travelling from my two aunts in New York up to see my cousin in Montreal.  I found the schedule of The Adirondack, rode behind PC E8s from NY Grand Central up to Albany where I was told that the first two rebuilt PAs were on the way down from Montreal which was why we only had an RS3 and RS36 set on our northbound 😒 but both in the blue/gray Lightning Stripe 🤩 

The RS3 was one of two swapped with the Boston & Maine 'cos they had steam-heating boilers.  Had a good meal in the leased CP Rail Buffet Dome Car. 

Don't worry, I managed to save up to go back and see PA4s in 1981.  I ought to look out a pic.

Jason

• Like 3

I didn't realise that the preserved PA at Puebla was operable.  I visited there in March 1996 (regular visitor, not on an organised tour) and it was sandwiched between a carriage and a steam loco.

I can't sure, but I thought I passed another PA in a park in Mexico City.  A small collection of locomotives was displayed, but I couldn't negotiate the traffic, double back and find a parking spot so I wasn't able to check out what was there.

• RMweb Premium

The two which were repatriated to the US were NdeM 16, ex-DH 16 nee-ATSF 59L and NdeM 18, ex-DH 18 nee-ATSF 62L.  Both were built as PA1s but following their rebuilds at M-K were classified as PA4s although that was an unofficial designation.

R-DLMX-007_DH16AlbanyOR2-10-03.jpg.0d36c54140a6127abcf44dead8eeb7bc.jpg 

16 was at Albany OR in October 2003awaiting restoration.  As shown in Steve's photo above, this unit had been involved in roll-over following a derailment.  Neither of the PAs arrived back in the US as more than a shell. The plan was to restore this one cosmetically for display in the Smithsonian.  Has it actually been done?

R-DLMX-010_NKP190BrooklynPortlandOR2-10-03.jpg.3867e906887229583022b27cf9b07472.jpg

18 in the Brooklyn Roundhouse at Portland OR at the same time has been fully restored to working order by Doyle McCormack using the engine/generator from a BC Rail M424W and a set of trucks from a former CP Rail MoW vehicle.  These (and those under 16) are actually from a rare Fairbanks-Morse "Erie built" rather than genuine ALCo trucks but are so similar in appearance as to be un-noticeable.  It has been restored to Nickel Plate "Bluebird" livery as Doyle grew up alongside the Nickel Plate and remembers seeing them as a boy.  I quote: "It's my unit, I'll paint it how I want".  At least 16 should be in the glorious Warbonnet scheme.

Around the time it acquired the PAs, the Delaware & Hudson also acquired a pair of even rarer former New York Central Baldwin RF16s otherwise known as "Sharknose" units.  I think at least one survives and is preserved.  Anyone know of its current whereabouts and status?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

The two which were repatriated to the US were NdeM 16, ex-DH 16 nee-ATSF 59L and NdeM 18, ex-DH 18 nee-ATSF 62L.  Both were built as PA1s but following their rebuilds at M-K were classified as PA4s although that was an unofficial designation.

R-DLMX-007_DH16AlbanyOR2-10-03.jpg.0d36c54140a6127abcf44dead8eeb7bc.jpg 

16 was at Albany OR in October 2003awaiting restoration.  As shown in Steve's photo above, this unit had been involved in roll-over following a derailment.  Neither of the PAs arrived back in the US as more than a shell. The plan was to restore this one cosmetically for display in the Smithsonian.  Has it actually been done?

R-DLMX-010_NKP190BrooklynPortlandOR2-10-03.jpg.3867e906887229583022b27cf9b07472.jpg

18 in the Brooklyn Roundhouse at Portland OR at the same time has been fully restored to working order by Doyle McCormack using the engine/generator from a BC Rail M424W and a set of trucks from a former CP Rail MoW vehicle.  These (and those under 16) are actually from a rare Fairbanks-Morse "Erie built" rather than genuine ALCo trucks but are so similar in appearance as to be un-noticeable.  It has been restored to Nickel Plate "Bluebird" livery as Doyle grew up alongside the Nickel Plate and remembers seeing them as a boy.  I quote: "It's my unit, I'll paint it how I want".  At least 16 should be in the glorious Warbonnet scheme.

Around the time it acquired the PAs, the Delaware & Hudson also acquired a pair of even rarer former New York Central Baldwin RF16s otherwise known as "Sharknose" units.  I think at least one survives and is preserved.  Anyone know of its current whereabouts and status?

There was a video of one of the sharks being moved in the last year on YouTube 

US preservation is very strange compared to here having the RF16s stored away for over 40 years with little or no information on them would be like a pair of D600s hiding away in this country 

Oh forgot to mention I have 10203 in a barn!

The second PA is under restoration at the Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco Texas near Dallas. Supposedly it is owned by the Smithsonian but is  on loan to MAR. They are working on its restoration. It will be painted in Santa Fe Warbonnet colors.

Phil Randall

• Informative/Useful 2