Browser Hacking on RMweb

Similarly, I can confirm that I'm having no such problems using a Laptop running Firefox with Ghostery and uBlock Origin. Plus PiHole on the whole network for general hygiene and protection of all users.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

No apparent hijacking issues here on Mac OS 13.6.7 browsing with Safari 17.5
No apparent hijacking issues either on the phone using iOS 17.5.1

The only issues being encountered, and these are long term ones, relate to speed of page service and upload of content which almost always generates a "Community Temporarily Unavailable" message.  The content does upload but cannot be seen by me until the server has cooled down a little a few minutes later.  Others can apparently see it as content has been rated whilst the site is unavailable to me.  Noticeably worse if the new post is the first one on a new page.  

I run MacPaw AdBlock as standard which may or may not be a factor.  

The only adverts I see are hobby-related with one exception which I reported to @AY Mod many moons ago.  

Edited by Gwiwer
@AY Mod failed to tag Andy!

16 hours ago, Zunnan said:

Had this and similar appearing multiple times on differing browsers, including when using a BT company laptop, circumventing our VPN...and causing a bit of a security meltdown in the process.

12 similar redirects while attempting to type this...Screenshot2024-07-08235108.png.7bf679f885bec1b78559fd06175cd072.png

I've had this several times as well.

If  this is caused by the Polyfill takeover, then you need to bear in mind that, as the Ars report linked to earlier makes clear, the malicious code is designed to only trigger at certain times and only to certain users. So "it isn't happening to me" is not, unfortunately, a helpful data point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

As part of a test process I have switched users back from the IPS Default theme to the normal style.

If you do get any instances of this browser takeover/pop-up arise please let me know with a screenshot and what browser (including the version) you are using.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Further testing will take place shortly so if you are not a Gold or Premium user and experience any problems can you let me know here please?

Ideally a screenshot with which browser version and OS (and version) you are using.

The ideal would be to know which ads displayed before an issue arose but the problem is you don't know until it's happened.

• Like 2