Browser Hacking on RMweb

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Thanks, but I don't mind the Google adds, nothing in life is free, just saying the sites performance has improved

The Premium is a bargain at £12 pa. Not saying that you have to pay it, as obviously everyone has different values and choices in life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Sorry it's taken a while to return to this issue.

I first became aware of it on Saturday 25th May, the bank holiday weekend, through this topic. Although I couldn't replicate the problem at this end it was evident that a number of users were being served inappropriate advertising. No reports of problems came from Gold or Premium users who are not served any Google programmatic advertising and thus affected non-paying members and guest users; those being the ads for non-railway related ads at the head, foot and side of pages and the video player which runs at the bottom right of the screen in between posts. The finger thus pointed to it being a problem with the advertising code and our IT management and digital advertising plus the publisher were alerted. Initial tests to direct users to the basic stripped-down theme which contained no advertising code or scripts showed that the problem no longer occurred for those users. A decision was then made at this end as I hadn't had any response to make the usual theme (with advertising code) unavailable to users and place everyone on the basic version of the site. This stopped the immediate problem; I didn't want the risk of the problem spreading or increasing the likelihood of users getting their devices infected as some of the incidents appeared likely to cause a problem for someone, somewhere.

During the working week an investigation took place of all the code, scripts and processes which were checked by several parties and nothing could actually be found in the code so my inclination is that the issue was triggered by a suspect advert or video advert that was placed through the open market channels via Google and their approved partners used to place adverts on websites. We do apply filters for advertising content so that nothing inappropriate should be served so I believe the issue may have lain with the categorisation of adverts that are placed with the agencies that place adverts via Google's platforms.

Therefore, having had all the relevant areas checked I will be switching everyone back to the usual theme or appearance and will continue to monitor it over forthcoming days.

If you do see any issues please let me know via this topic ideally with the following information...

• The time/date when it has occurred.
  • The url of the RMweb page you were using.
  • A screenshot of what you are seeing.
  • Which browser, operating system and device was in use when this occurred.

As I say, I'll be keeping an eye on things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, paulj said:

Still doing it I'm afraid☹️

03/06 at 11.28

Windows 11

Firefox browser

Screenshot 2024-06-03 112721.png

Screenshot 2024-06-03 112744.png

OK; as that's the same as you had before could I just ask you to clear any RMweb cookies and browsing history please and login again to see if reoccurs (in case it's had something hanging around from previously)?

What page were you on when it happneed?

Also, can I confirm that you didn't see anything last week whilst on the other theme?

• RMweb Premium

Can confirm that it didn't happen whilst on IPS theme. It actually happened first time as soon as I clicked onto RMWeb home page. Screenshot whilst reading this thread. Happening as I'm writing this reply.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't think so. It's not running now. Have been running Malwarebytes and it blocked something have screenshot it. Thanks Paul

Screenshot 2024-06-03 114758.png

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, paulj said:

Don't think so. It's not running now.

Thanks; just wanted to rule things in or out but I haven't seen it running this morning either.

• Administrators

Is there anyone not running Firefox who's been getting the problem?

• Administrators

Thanks for the live feedback guys; things are being checked out as we speak.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Me too.

Malwarebytes found 5 PUPs that it quarantined, but it still happens.That's on my old laptop.

It's also happening on a brand new laptop that I'm not really using much because I've yet to migrate various things, so I don't think it's something the  old one has picked up.

Both on W11 with firefox.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators

As it's evident there's an issue and investigations haven't thrown any thing up despite the help of you guys I'm switching it back to the basic theme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

When I had the Macafee screens come up, i assumed they were 'scam screens' copied from Macafee and so if I clicked on them to run something it wouldnt be Macafee I was running, so I backspaced my screen with the left arrow at the top left, which got rid of it.  But Ive just looked at my Cookies list to delete some of them and there were about 3 Macafee cookies there which suggests it was Macafee that had been started ???, dose it ?? . 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

there were about 3 Macafee cookies there

Probably made to look like McAfee rather than actually being so.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I first became aware of it on Saturday 25th May, 

Obviously coincidence, but If problems occur

they always seem to be at weekends or bank holidays. :)

• Agree 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, rab said:

Obviously coincidence, but If problems occur

they always seem to be at weekends or bank holidays. :)

Over the years I've had to deal with server issues whilst in France, Italy, Germany, Canada and Belgium and they weren't work trips! 😁

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I’d noticed the adverts had disappeared and everything was running quicker, but I haven’t experienced any of the issues others have - then again, I only use iPhone, iPad and iMacs so maybe that has a bearing.

But I do now need to try to sign up to Premium (third time lucky!) so that when everything returns to “normal” I can be rid of the annoying Google adverts!

Thanks, Andy, for your continued attempts to get to the bottom of this irritating problem

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get "Mcafee" email once every couple of weeks , they always saying subscrition is running out or expired. Sadly for them I havent had McFee subscrition  for many years as I use a Apple laptop!!

On average I get similar two or there times a week. One was for a TV Licence subscription ending warning , it was actually well laid out and almost convincing.

Be careful out there !!

• Friendly/supportive 2