Browser Hacking on RMweb

Posted (edited)

I havent had this issue recently (yet). However the adverts I am getting next to the forum itself are nothing to do with railways or modelling. (adverts for temu and clickbaity articles mainly). Windows 11 & firefox

Hope this helps

Edited by TimberValleyRailway

• RMweb Premium

I've been having real problems with this today. Not just when viewing but when trying to write a new post (including this one) the page suddenly vanishes and gets replaced with clickbait.

It is occurring on two different laptops with different versions of Windows and different virus protection, one of which is my work machine.

Access on my Iphone is unaffected.

Writing this post has been interrupted 5 times. The forum is almost unusable.

I have paid for the membership though never actually acheived freedom from ads. Not sure if this is relevant.

Regards, Mol

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Same for me - every time I click 'view new content' or start keying a reply to a topic it happens - often several times whilst composing the  reply. Definitely getting unusable for me. Interrupted 4 times just typing this response.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Logged out and lowered deflector shields (on W10 + Edge) within a minute I'm getting weird stuff like this:-

image.png.8a3d20011a834306ad437abde695b9ad.png

Edit: switched to Chrome and no weird pop-ups in 10mins.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

I have paid for the membership though never actually acheived freedom from ads. Not sure if this is relevant.

Should have let me know it hadn't worked.

That should be sorted for you now.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Logged out and lowered deflector shields (on W10 + Edge) within a minute I'm getting weird stuff like this:-

image.png.8a3d20011a834306ad437abde695b9ad.png

Edit: switched to Chrome and no weird pop-ups in 10mins.

Disclaimer - I am not an expert in this field!

If this assault is powered by redirects (so called 'forced redirect ads') then I believe Chrome blocks pop-ups and redirects by default.  Most other browsers can also block them, but the setting may need to be switched on. Search for 'browser-name block redirects'.

There may be legitimate uses for redirection, but I have never noticed any issues due to having this feature blocked on Chrome.

I've had this problem half a dozen times in the last hour or so. I get a screen like this below. Different websites each time. I thought I had noticed a weird advert for atlanticshopping.com replace one of the ad on the right before it happened but its jumping me to other websites while I write this.

This was the ad I saw appear before it took me to another website. It looked weird because it has scroll bars on an advert.

atlantic.JPG.45d5598067302ef18ed80aa8efaf52b5.JPG

image.png.970ef7df58640d5950bacafcdaefb7b7.png

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)

Happened a couple more times. Each time one of the ads on the right gets replaced by the Atlanticshopping ad or a blank space and moments later I'm taken to another website. I'm using Firefox and while I'm typing this the right hand adverts are disappearing one by one.

EDIT

I can refresh this page in Firefox and I always get the same two Rapido ads and the National Festival of Railway Modelling ad. After about 30 seconds one of them disappears or changes to the Atlantic Shopping ad. After another 20 seconds another disappears. After another 20 seconds the third one disappears. If one is replaced with the Atlantic ad I'm taken somewhere bad.

Edited by davepallant
more info
  • Informative/Useful 2

Had this and similar appearing multiple times on differing browsers, including when using a BT company laptop, circumventing our VPN...and causing a bit of a security meltdown in the process.

12 similar redirects while attempting to type this...Screenshot2024-07-08235108.png.7bf679f885bec1b78559fd06175cd072.png

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

Testing and investigation is still ongoing but a resolution may not arise within the next 10 days so I have enabled the basic stripped-down theme available to members if you are affected.

Go to the bottom of any page, click on Themes and select IPS Default.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@AY Mod Are your web team aware of this?

https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/07/384000-sites-link-to-code-library-caught-performing-supply-chain-attack/

It might not be the source, but it might be an indication how someone is getting all these scam adverts into the advertising.

It shouldn't be as this issue predates the rise of that and Google Ads should be trapping those but I'd need to check if Invision have used that service.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Andy

I just had the asow.co pop up.

Brian

As a Gold user Brian you shouldn't be affected. Were you signed in at the time?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

I'm pretty certain that I was and - before having read the above - thought I had accidentally 'clicked into something', as opposed to RMweb per se.

I'll let you know if happens again. I'm using Edge and my 'theme' is set to RMweb 2023 (default), if that helps.

Brian

Five times in the last fifteen minutes or so while trying to read a forum page, I have been redirected to another page after a couple of minutes. On the third to fifth times I was trying to write this message.

It is making the board unusable.

Also, the pages I go to a bit dodging, offering advert blocking software. Either this is a way to deprive the site of revenue or it is a scam to get people to download malware.

In case it helps, a couple of URLs.

https://ads.download-adblockers.com/?extension=essential_adblocker&promo=salmon&clk_domain=download-adblock.com&flow=binom&campaignId=10557&trafficsource=32&src=5917958&cid=cq6if4r2r96s73d2m5ag&lpkey=17205713333e1ded6d2ee5d78e875f13ed19d27039&isV2=true

https://ad.install-adblockers.com/?extension=ytube_adskipper&promo=salmon&big=none&clk_domain=download-adblock.com&flow=binom&campaignId=10557&trafficsource=32&src=5917958&cid=cq6igcr2r96s73d2nefg&lpkey=17205713333e1ded6d2ee5d78e875f13ed19d27199&isV2=true

https://torrent-protection.com/free-download/?hash=641333b0718f3&domain=totalav.com&action=download&s1=35&s2=gvexpzjcgpmlo1720527204132&s3=lp2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, F2Andy said:

It is making the board unusable.

Please use the workaround I posted earlier.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Testing and investigation is still ongoing but a resolution may not arise within the next 10 days so I have enabled the basic stripped-down theme available to members if you are affected.

Go to the bottom of any page, click on Themes and select IPS Default.

I have experienced the same frustrations with re-directs and malicious warnings when I have tried to post over the past few days.

Ran so many virus scans etc, and all came up negative, then I found these posts, to see 'I am not alone'.

Thanks to AY Mod, the workaround quoted has worked and I am now able to update my topic! 👍

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If it's any help, I can confirm that I'm having no such problems using Chrome with Adaware active.

Jim

• Like 1