Pilgrimage to Cornwall

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I’m planning a trip down to Cornwall by train with my better half, staying in St Ives at the Tregenna Castle Hotel (where else? - it was once owned by the Great Western).

We plan to visit Penzance and the Looe and Gunnislake branches.

Would you recommend taking in the Falmouth or Newquay branches too?

Anywhere else you would recommend to visit by train and/or on foot from a station?

Any stations in particular worth getting of at to explore?

We’ve visited the Bodmin & Wenford recently, so don’t mind missing it this time.

We know we won’t be able to stop at Camborne on Wednesday, but there’s always Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday…🙂 (RIP Jethro).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by GWR57xx
  • Like 3

Suggest you walk the footpath that parallels the St. Ives branch. Falmouth branch is heavily modernised - virtually nothing original left  and it dumps you in the back of beyond at Falmouth but if you're also interested in ships and harbours it's worth a look. The Newquay branch is long and rural and when I went the  journey was pleasant but the arrival anything but! Newquay station was a dump, and the only access from platform to town involved a narrow passageway featuring cigarette butts and vomit. The 'party' element has ruined Newquay.Yes, as gwrrob says, Liskeard-Looe is well worth doing. It has retained a lot of its character and I'd put it right at the top of branches worth doing. The terminus at Looe is on its third or fourth iteration and is actually better than a couple of the earlier ones. Enjoy! (CJL) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

To start off in local fashion

If I were going where you intend I wouldn't  necessarily start from here...

The most scenic branch line, and by a long way,  is the Gunnislake branch from Plymouth.

But long way is also a good way of describing the trip from St Erth to Gunnislake and back...It will take the best part of a day, not that that is a bad thing but it is worth bearing in mind.

The Cornish Main Line runs through some fine places and it is definitely worth a ride in itself, particularly  (at least in my opinion) the trip up and back from St Austell to Plymouth.

Liskeard to Looe is definitely worth a ride, though for looking out of the window it is only going down to Coombe Junction and  the last couple of miles from Sandplace where you can see much more than a whole lot of trees.

You could do all the above in one long day trip, depending on connections of course, and there is a far better service level than there was back in the day.

Newquay is another longer than you may think ride from St Erth, but again its probably worth it for the train ride if not the destination.

Totally opposite is the line down from Truro to Falmouth - There is nothing really to attract me to the train  but Falmouth is my favourite town in all of Cornwall (except Par of course). Falmouth is worth at least a day to itself to have a look round.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We stayed at the Tregenna Castle some years back arriving by train, it is not too far from the station, but a fairly steep climb up. The ride from St Erth is spectacular, and I agree with the suggestion of walking the coast path from St Ives back toward St Erth. We have walked all the way from Hayle to St Ives on several occasions, it being possible to break the journey and pick up the train along the way if you wish.

Hayle is an interesting town with a lot of industrial archaeology, you can walk some of the track bed of the Hayle Railway alongside Copperhouse Pool.

The Newquay Branch is also worth the trip, I actually quite like Newquay and have stayed there several times. From the station you can follow the course of the tram road much of the way to the harbour, the beaches are great. In the Luxulyan Valley there are a number of pathways and trails some following the old tram roads, and there were still stone setts and lengths of rail in place. It is also possible to walk over the Treffry Viaduct though it is a fair walk from Luxulyan station to get into the valley.

Depending on how much walking you like to do it would be possible to walk from St Austell to the Wheal Martin china clay museum. Much of the walk follows the route of the Bojea/Lansalson Valley branch, the last branch opened by the GWR, there was still a few lengths of rail in the vicinity of Carlyon Farm clay dries. At Wheal Martin there are a number of rail wagons both standard gauge and narrow gauge, and Lee Moor No.1 preserved loco. 

From Penzance the walk to Mousehole is scenic, you can get the bus back. Along the way there are still a few signs of the narrow gauge Penlee Quarry railway to Newlyn harbour. The walk the other way from Penzance to Marazion & St Michaels Mount is more level and takes you past Long Rock depot.  

If you do manage to get to Camborne then it is walkable to the King Edward Mine Museum which I thought was fascinating, there are some items of narrow gauge mine locos and wagons there. We have stayed several times at the Wetherspoons Hotel in Camborne 5 minutes walk from the station.

Falmouth I like too. There is a lot to see and do including the Maritime Museum and Pendennis Castle.

There is plenty to see and do by train. Enjoy your trip.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Do the lot.

Me & my mate did, a month ago. A Cornwall rover is only £16

and only £10 with a railcard.

If you do Falmouth Docks, phone for a local taxi to pick you, when you arrive.

Then straight to the Wetherspoons in town.🤣 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The St Ives branch is probably the best for views beyond the railway.  too many trees on the Gunnislake branch (unless they've all been got rid of since my last trip).  The Looe branch is still interesting and a good destination.  Newquay is difficult time wise because of the very infrequent service and I don't like the destination.  I do like the Falmouth branch nbut it too suffers from trees in some places but some of the stations have been dealt with nicely by local support groups but going all the way to the docks station as it's now called is only worth it to tick off the track and if you're interested in the docks area  - Falmouth Town (aka The Dell) is much better for the town itself.  Alas Falmouth has gone downhill as a place to visit compared with the way it was a few decades ago although it now has more to offer - including one of the best chippies in Cornwall.

I heartily recommend the Cornish mainline - a shadow of its former self alas but a good way to see the county especially if you know what you're looking at and where to look for it - maybe a good map would be a handy aid.  And some of it is a spectacular ride thanks to the high viaducts and other views.   And a nice frequent train service which helps - provided that you're happy riding in an IET/Class 80X.

BTW Re Truro is very nice to visit but the station is a fair way from the centre and on the top of a hill so it's a slog back up if on foot.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If Mike Stationmaster means   Penmere Fish Bar! chip shop as the best in Cornwall, I really would struggle to disagree with that opinion!

edit

got my Falmouth stations and chip shop confuddled there!

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

4 car HST sets are still running, however now only between Plymouth and Penzance, 

Kernow models is probably worth a visit in Camborne, even on Wednesday!

It's at the far end of the main shopping street (trelowarren st) but still only a 10 min level walk from the railway station and you can pass wetherspoons and Aldi on the way, although really you should try one of the pasty shops 🙂

Salt 'n vinegar chip shop in trelowarren Street is definitely Not the best one in Cornwall!!

20240504_113608.jpg

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

St Blazey TMD? 

Then again probably a shadow of it’s former self. 

Very definitely a shadow of its former self!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Very definitely a shadow of its former self!

Quite so. It is more than 60 years since I stood on Par platform and watched a Grange come light engine from St Blazey and set off up towards Bodmin Road....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The helston railway is worth a visit. 

And on the way down, the Launceston narrow gauge line is good too.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

That was on the Michael Portillo programme a few weeks ago looked worth a look. Might still be on iPlayer.

Yes. First five episodes here are Cornwall and Devon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001yv8c/great-coastal-railway-journeys-series-3-20-wellsnextthesea-to-the-wash

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If you wish to sample a little-known reminder of the earliest days of railways in Cornwall, look up Treffrey's combined railway and aqueduct viaduct near Luxulyan. Hugely impressive and vertigo-inducing, where it crosses the present-day Newquay branch.

A lovely walk along the trackbed, with quite a few track relics still in place, takes you to the subtantial remains of of a huge, waterwheel-driven, double-track incline with some remaining cable-rollers which guided the cable around the curve halfway down the incline.

Plus - an excellent pub (The Kings Arms) in Luxulyan - some unusual dishes are to be found on the specials board.

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, kernowtim said:

4 car HST sets are still running, however now only between Plymouth and Penzance, 

Kernow models is probably worth a visit in Camborne, even on Wednesday!

It's at the far end of the main shopping street (trelowarren st) but still only a 10 min level walk from the railway station and you can pass wetherspoons and Aldi on the way, although really you should try one of the pasty shops 🙂

Salt 'n vinegar chip shop in trelowarren Street is definitely Not the best one in Cornwall!!

20240504_113608.jpg

The shop maybe open but as you well know the train won't be stopping. It never has done and probably won't ever stop on a wednesday!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Much as I would love to visit the Helston railway, I think it would only be accessible by car?

The N gauge layout I built many years ago was based on Helston, so I feel a connection even though it’s a bit tenuous.

CCtrans's above mention of the Treffry Viaduct and the Luxulyan valley is a pretty good call for a day trip!

Catch a train up from Par  to Luxulyan station and walk back down through the valley, you could call in at whatever is left of Ponts Mill and observe St Blazey yard from the river/canal side path back to Par station.... (foliage permitting!)

There is another of Cornwall's better chip shops near to Par station too...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The track bed of the Redruth and Chasewater is now part of the coast to coast walk and the pentewan trail hat runs from St Austell to pentewan on the track bed of the Pentewan rly and the ship in pentewan has some good ales at the end. You can walk down and the get the bus back to the railway station.

Marc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

Much as I would love to visit the Helston railway, I think it would only be accessible by car?

Sadly true.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The walk from Penzance to Marazion is very pleasant on a sunny day. The path is in much better condition than it was a few years ago. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kris said:

The walk from Penzance to Marazion is very pleasant on a sunny day. The path is in much better condition than it was a few years ago. 

W splendid views to St Michael's Mount, too?

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

One thing is should point out the duchy has an integrated transport system IE buses run from railway stations. Eg. From St Austell railway station you can get a bus to the Eden project, Fowey, mavagissey (lots goos pubs,cafes and the lost gardens), Charlestown (Poldark/eagle has landed). There is also a bus from Penzance to St Ives that goes via lands end, porthcurno (minac theatre/telegraph museum), Sennen cove, St Just (cape Cornwall), Botallack, lavant, geevor and  zennor (home of the mermaid). I should point out you can easily walk from St Just to Geevor along the coast path. For me some of the best views in the duchy 

Marc

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/05/2024 at 23:16, Rivercider said:

From Penzance the walk to Mousehole is scenic,

Past the old Penlee lifeboat station which is poignant

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2