Dapol OO 14/48/5800 discussion

57xx

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

As an alternative view, I'd suggest that the quicker Dapol make the 48-517, then the quicker Dapol will make something else.

Like a 2721 or 1854 saddle/pannier (I'll keep banging on about this until someone makes one, it's a technique that has worked in the past). 

The old Airfix 48xx had a rigid chassis with a lot of sideplay for the rear axle, and while that model definitely had issues they were not about the running, at least when new and the traction tyre had been binned.  Bachmann still employ the method for their 56xx, a sort of 0-8-0 with the rear wheels uncoupled, and this is a generally well-regarded model that performs very well indeed.  That said, I would not approve of this in a new tooling; radial axles need to work as radial axles and rear ponies need to work as rear ponies to support their share of the adhesive weight properly while leading the loco bunker first (or smokebox first in the case of a Metro) into curves.

On an 0-4-4, as on a bogie 4-4-0, there is more support for the part of the loco overhead than with a single axle, because the bogie is effectively a 4-wheeled vehicle with the inherent stability that is imputed by that state.  A more germane RTR comparison would be the Precedent.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/05/2024 at 10:52, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I suspect this model will disappoint many, from what information is available. The construction appears to be replete with bad old days technique, when there is a demonstrated superior  construction on sale at present from Bachmann in the form of their 0-4-4T,

Have you looked at reviews of their O gauge model? I think they have proved with that that they know how to make it work. 

IMG_7929.jpeg.798e8f9e10276d0f3410225223160373.jpeg

On 22/05/2024 at 22:06, Miss Prism said:

A penny has just dropped, and I have just realised that Dapol's 1401 ("1401 B.R. Black  G  W  R") seems to be an attempt at portraying Titfield's main loco, which was very faded G W R insignia barely showing through the grubby BR black.

The picture above shows they’ve managed it well in the O scale model so it should be good in OO too. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 25/05/2024 at 09:08, Craigw said:

4833 at an unknown station, date not certain either!  Any ideas?

For the date I'd guess early to late 30's? It appears to have Great Western on the tank under all that filth. 

Also noted, no whistle shield, not sure if that helps narrow it down?

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2024 at 23:51, Miss Prism said:

Dapol says its chassis will be 'fully compensated', but doesn't reveal (yet) which method will be used.

I'm guessing it might be similar to how they did the 7mm version?

On 12/04/2019 at 11:14, coeurdelyon said:

The chassis is fully compensated as follows:- Front driving axle is fixed and pony wheel rocks laterally so providing main suspension. The centre driving wheel is motorised and sprung allowing for any imperfections in trackwork. All six wheels have plunger electrical pick-up to improve performance.

Regards, Richard

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Naturally, we all would like to ultimately see the Dapol arrangement for the 48-517 motion. 

The good Captain (Kernow) very kindly donated a DJM 48xx chassis. I still have it here, but house moves, stroke & depression  have postponed my (or, more correctly, Cpt. K's) post mortem. I still have my original DJM release, and it's highly likely I'll buy a Dapol autocoach to work with them. 

As a slight aside, I wonder if Dapol might be inclined to factory-add some pickups to the autocoach & the new 48-517 models. The intent being to increase/improve the electrical pickup. 

Sound into the coach baggage area? Not that I 'do' sound, you understand, but some do...

have a great week, folks.  

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Naturally, we all would like to ultimately see the Dapol arrangement for the 48-517 motion. 

The good Captain (Kernow) very kindly donated a DJM 48xx chassis. I still have it here, but house moves, stroke & depression  have postponed my (or, more correctly, Cpt. K's) post mortem. I still have my original DJM release, and it's highly likely I'll buy a Dapol autocoach to work with them. 

As a slight aside, I wonder if Dapol might be inclined to factory-add some pickups to the autocoach & the new 48-517 models. The intent being to increase/improve the electrical pickup. 

Sound into the coach baggage area? Not that I 'do' sound, you understand, but some do...

have a great week, folks.  

Just checked that I remembered this correctly. Dapol's new auto coaches are already sound fitted!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Just checked that I remembered this correctly. Dapol's new auto coaches are already sound fitted!

To be fair, I did consider adding sound. However, the amount of expletives swamped the sound chip, both in variety, volume & magnitude. If I did something like that, then I'd be put in the 'naughty box' by the Mods...

" Are you habitually stupid, or have you been on a course?"

"D'you  see that corner? Good! Now, yeff off over there, and keep out of my Yeffing way!"

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy posted the Dapol info so transferred to this thread for reference 

On 29/04/2024 at 12:41, AY Mod said:

Full info.

OO Gauge 517xx and 14xx Mag-3.jpgOO Gauge 517xx and 14xx Mag-4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, will the model of 1405 be suitable to renumber as 1466? Also a model of 5815 would be nice at some point as that was the only 58xx to survive into the 60’s. Thanks Fred

13/08/1960 - Swindon.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Fredo said:

Also a model of 5815 would be nice at some point as that was the only 58xx to survive into the 60’s. Thanks Fred

13/08/1960 - Swindon.

247 do plates for 5815 and it should be really easy to renumber the model, so you just need a black example of the non-auto fitted type with a top feed.

• RMweb Gold

5815 was allocated to Swindon from April 1958 and officially withdrawn three years later almost to the day, but there has been some doubt expressed as to how much work (if any) it undertook in the meantime.

The loco languished for several years at Swindon works before cutting up and, as the last survivor of her class, (by some margin) was much sought out by visitors.

I remember a photo of it at the works in BRILL within the last year or so but I seem to have passed the mag on, so cannot offer a date.

John  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

5815 was allocated to Swindon from April 1958 and officially withdrawn three years later almost to the day, but there has been some doubt expressed as to how much work (if any) it undertook in the meantime.

The loco languished for several years at Swindon works before cutting up and, as the last survivor of her class, (by some margin) was much sought out by visitors.

I remember a photo of it at the works in BRILL within the last year or so but I seem to have passed the mag on, so cannot offer a date.

John  

It was seen working a local goods service in the Callow Lane area in 1961....

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks, I know that 1466 carried a boiler feed and was withdrawn in BR black, do you know if it had a black or red GWR number plate when it was withdrawn. Fred

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Thanks, I know that 1466 carried a boiler feed and was withdrawn in BR black, do you know if it had a black or red GWR number plate when it was withdrawn. Fred

There is a Peter Gray colour photo of 1466 heading north on a curved embankment just south of Bolham on the Exe Valley line in March 1962. This has been published in various places, for example rear cover of West Country Branch Lines A Colour Portfolio, and clearly shows a black background to the number plate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

John  

Photos suggest that it was dumped over near the Stock Shed at one time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Pteremy said:

There is a Peter Gray colour photo of 1466 heading north on a curved embankment just south of Bolham on the Exe Valley line in March 1962. This has been published in various places, for example rear cover of West Country Branch Lines A Colour Portfolio, and clearly shows a black background to the number plate.

For that matter a 10 second Google search of GWR 1466 just threw up a photo of it with black plates in 61.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

For that matter a 10 second Google search of GWR 1466 just threw up a photo of it with black plates in 61.

Yes, Google can be very useful. But Peter Gray's photographs are inspirational. 

• Agree 1