The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Important Election Information

MJI

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MJI said:

City of Truro was first

Until the NRM got their hands on the Moneypit!

• Agree 1

£240m wasted on a high speed service to Africa but the first passengers aren't expected until later in July if at all

Door locks essential for this service, there has been a lot of aguments about how safe this is.  No mention of it on Green Signals though, quite surprising.

Does make the two way service between Old Oak and Birmingham look quite expensive in comparison though.

• Funny 8

26 minutes ago, MJI said:

City of Truro was first

…….to announce the winning candidate?

Thats enough from me; I come here to escape the torments of modern life.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

It doesn't, and we'll keep an eye on this. However, it very much IS home to terrible jokes, which is what we have so far on the thread. .

I hope you are policing it to make sure that no good jokes creep in by accident.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

Already had two gents on the doorstep to discuss what would be happening in the future. My reply was my cup of tea would get cold if I stood there any longer!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

It doesn't, and we'll keep an eye on this. However, it very much IS home to terrible jokes, which is what we have so far on the thread. .

You don't mean the references to the erection, mirror balls, knacker lacquer and door knockers?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I will also have exercised my democratic rights by postal vote

Just a gentle warning, Returning Officers across England reported significant delays in receipts of postal votes at the May 2024 elections due to problems with the Royal Mail.  

I would suggest that if you return your postal vote by post, you do so in plenty time, to make sure it counts.  If anyone is in the habit of handing in their postal vote at a polling station, just be warned that there is now a revised procedure and a certificate has to be completed.  This added to delays at polling stations at the May elections.

Roddy

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You don't mean the references to the erection, mirror balls, knacker lacquer and door knockers?

Lets hope there is no inference of erection interference, that would be a real downer.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No, that's just a lot of b0ll0cks!

Andi

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

I will just be asking any door knockers my usual political question…. What is their party’s policy on the interceptory netting of migratory fish stocks? That usually has the desired effect…. 

Does that work the same way as "What do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich City Centre?"

Alan Partridge fans will get it!

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Remember; vote early, vote often...

I always vote early, I've got a postal vote.

Is there a way of getting a few of them?

One of the advantages of having a postal vote is that I can honestly tell canvassers they're wasting their time as I've already voted against them!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

Actually, I quite enjoy all the election stuff. I'll stay up late on results night into the early hours as usual, to see what occurs. I think it'll be closer than some folks think. As we can see from across the pond in the US, some people will vote for their party come what may.

I once stood as an independent candidate for the council; the count was quite ineresting. Though as another candidate pointed out to me, I knew I wouldn't get in as their piles were larger than mine...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Though as another candidate pointed out to me, I knew I wouldn't get in as their piles were larger than mine...

This thread is getting worse.  We've had balls, knockers and erections - now we've got piles!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Actually, I quite enjoy all the election stuff. I'll stay up late on results night into the early hours as usual, to see what occurs. I think it'll be closer than some folks think.

(This is intended to be about betting odds rather than politics)

Am sure a number of us on here have seen big leads eroded between the starting pistol being fired, and the finish line.  Funnily enough I checked recently what the odds would be for a hung parliament, thinking that it might be worth a £10 punt.

I was a bit disappointed to see the best I could get was mostly 6/1 or in one case 13/2, so it looks like those who take a cold hard look at things aren't swayed overly much by the polling.

37 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

This thread is getting worse.  We've had balls, knockers and erections - now we've got piles!

Which is why as always the state of the NHS is so important in this poll.

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Actually, I quite enjoy all the election stuff. I'll stay up late on results night into the early hours as usual, to see what occurs. I think it'll be closer than some folks think. As we can see from across the pond in the US, some people will vote for their party come what may.

I once stood as an independent candidate for the council; the count was quite ineresting. Though as another candidate pointed out to me, I knew I wouldn't get in as their piles were larger than mine...

I too stood in council elections, so I am fully conversant with all the skulduggery that ensues, an old friend used to put all the candidates pamphlets in his window, that confused them as they didn't know who he actually supported.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I too stood in council elections, so I am fully conversant with all the skulduggery that ensues, an old friend used to put all the candidates pamphlets in his window, that confused them as they didn't know who he actually supported.

If he’d put them all on his fence then it would easy.

16 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As an expat I'm looking forward to voting to return the favour of Brexit!

Mike.

Don't come back on a small boat or you'll end up in Rwanda. 

Or not, depending on who's in Drowning Street in the 5th July.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Don't come back on a small boat or you'll end up in Rwanda. 

Or not, depending on who's in Drowning Street in the 5th July.

I doubt it will make any difference at all.

I think the cost of chartering that Tiger Moth might have been wasted... ☺️

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Funny 1