How to do this in Tinkercad?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I'm currently deep in the rabbit hole of the WDLR, the WW1 'trench railway'. I have printed quite a few examples of stock for this in 1/35 for possible static diorama from available files on Thingiverse. However I now find that my interest has broadened and would like to now print other items of stock from the WDLR just because I can. This will involve me trying to design these examples, however there is a drawback as my cad skills are virtually non existent, my brain just doesn't seem to be wired to learn the more advanced programs that are available. So I am limited to simple designs in Tinkercad which for some reason I find relatively intuitive.

Although I know my ambition outstrips my capabilities I would like to know if there is any way I can replicate the sides shown in the example drawing on Tinkercad, basically planks nailed together somehow. I know I can replicate some sort of plank but would like to join them as a side but replicate the joins and still have it hang together. Inside cross joists? I just don't know.

Any replies are much appreciated.

edit: does the answer lie in the drawing, will the 'v' joists hold them together?

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 15.04.08.png

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Premium

In any CAD package draw the outline of the side, draw the side centreline and the doors. Then offset the centreline, to the plank width and repeat, remove the bits of planking where it's covered by the framing.

• Thanks 1

The way this is designed will be dependant on how you expect to print it.
I’d approach it by designing each wall as a separate entity that could be joined into a box later if needed.

I’d make each part from an assembly of blocks as the layers of wall/framing/door/framing etc.

Don’t consider making each plank separately.
You can simulate the planks by using V grooves in the sides. Easy to do with triangles sections as ‘holes’ aligned to the body’s surface and regularly spaced via the copy command.
You’ll probably need to make some trial sections wall with ‘planking/grooves’ to see what actually looks correct for your preferred scale and printing method.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Designspark I came up with the following when doing sides for 4mm DEMU. Drew out the side and extruded to 2mm. Then worked out the door position. Then drew a rectangle down to minimum width of .25mm then each rectangle was extruded by cutting instead adding. In my case I then did a Final Cut using the radius of the side. No doubt experts out there will say no there is a much better way but for me it seams to work.

Keith

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

would make the vehicle as a solid, plain box, then add the planking, doors etc to the outside. Just like sticking plasticard planking onto a model.

Edited by ikcdab
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the delay in replying, life and all that.

I managed a trial piece by firstly drawing  the frame then basically slightly sinking separate planks into it. I think my next step might be to try and draw a whole side using this method, it's time consuming but it did seem to work.

Thank you for the replies.