Dapol N Gauge Class 143 & 144

AY Mod

• Administrators

N Gauge Class 143_144 2024-pic.jpg

The Class 143 and 144 Pacer DMUs were a series of 2 and 3-car units with Andrew Barclay bodywork on a 4-wheel diesel chassis. Despite their unpopularity with passengers, these distinctive little trains lasted in service until 2021.

The Class 143s also had the chassis built by Andrew Barclay. 25 units were built, initially working around Tyneside before moving to the South-West and Wales. With the many changes of operators since privatisation, numerous livery choices are possible.

The Class 144s featured BREL-built underframes and spent their careers based in Leeds, working local and regional services. Ten units received centre cars in 1987. Although intended for local journeys, the 144s worked as far afield as Manchester, Lancaster, Morecambe, Lincoln, Hull, Scarborough and Cleethorpes.

DUE Q4 2025

NEXT 18 DCC

The Dapol Class 143 / 144 features:
• A powered and a dummy car in each set
• All-new super-detailed bodywork with flush glazing
• Separate handrails, wipers and exhaust pipes
• Correct underframes for Class 143 and Class 144
• Tooling variants for front end and roof differences (original and combined light clusters / with or without radio pod)
• NEM Pocket
• Scharfenberg-style end coupling compatible with our Class 142, 153 and 156 units.
• Finely applied detail and decoration
• Close coupling with extendable corridor connections
• Electrical through coupling for improved running
• All wheel drive on the powered car
• DCC-Ready and DCC-Fitted versions available
• Light-Bar ready
• Directional lights on both cars, independently controllable internal (where fitted) and external lighting

N Gauge Class 143_144 2024-1.jpg

N Gauge Class 143_144 2024-2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Body tooling looks excellent, lightyears better than the 142! 

It's a sensible move by Dapol to get maximum use out of the chassis, it's just a shame there is no interior given the glassy nature of these units. 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

But still no speaker fittings - the visible electronics tells me space is limited but putting a sugarcube in would really bring these units to life so to speak.

Outside my time period, but bravo though to Dapol to doing these.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Unexpected but welcome! Hopefully the final tooling will include the interior wall around the toilet cubical.

Fingers crossed for a MS centre car to be produced allowing 144014–144023 to be modelled.

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting development…. I wonder if they could have managed to get the motor, etc, below the window line….

Body shape looks better than their 142, but I’m still not completely convinced…. will have to wait and see this one in the flesh I think….

Nevertheless, a nice surprise for a random Monday morning in May…. 🤗 !

Great news and also good to see Dapol expanding their N gauge range. These look a lot better than the 142’s and with a multitude of liveries to cover, I think these will surprise Dapol in how popular they will be. I’ve got 4 sets lined up for a new layout already…..

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I thought they'd end up doing these or the 141s.  It'll be difficult to resist a WYPTE liveried one.  If I was Dapol I'd be speaking to @Chandwell to arrange some promotional shots

Edited by Stuart A

• RMweb Gold

The bodywork on the 143s and 144s was built by Walter Alexander of Falkirk, and based on their P-type bus bodywork, and not by Barclay — though they (Barclay) did build the chassis of the 143s.

Alexanders are still building buses — now part of AlexanderDennis.

I'd have liked a 143 in TWPTE livery (as well as the Provincial one being offered). Perhaps another time? I saw the 143s when they were brand new so have a bit of a soft spot for them — probably helped by the fact that, unlike the 142s, I never actually travelled on one…

• RMweb Gold

Pre-ordered a Northern 144.

They'll be very handy for a long term project (early days...) 

Baseboards_2024-May-19_02-27-16PM-000_CustomizedView8071049686.png.1a52030de5b0ffc195a001a51f045ff8.png

Tom. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

We found that the yellow 142s did not sell too well. I have a T&W version drawn up for a potential future release.

Not sure if it influences matters but the Yellow 142's were mid 90's under regional railways. The 143's were around 5-10 years earlier.

@The Black Hat can probably provide you with all the information you need

Edited by Ed-farms

Really the provincial ones should sell slowly if the Tyne and Wear 142's apparently did. Namely because the provincial ones did some turns in Scotland and on tests, but other than that were predominantly also allocated to the North East network. Tyne and Wear 143s worked alongside them. Both liveried units were repainted into standard Regional railways livery before being sent down to Wales to work services there. 

This saw 142s in former Chocolate and Cream painted into regional railways Tyne and Wear - the shade in yellow being slightly different. I would also contend that the Tyne and Wear 142s should be ok as they did travel across the North East and Yorkshire far more than other realise, but think at the time that the Dapol 142 was released there was not the matching stock really to be modelling specifically that area itself. N-gauge is not as well served as 00 but some of the late sectorisation Regional variants always tend to make people pause, mainly because most dont know specifically what they are. Standard Regional Railway goes as people recognise that and the BR provincial ones tend to get the rose tinted glasses viewed through. Still at the time the Bachmann provincial 150 sold slowly rather than the standard regional one, so I think its a case of having to get the timing right with release and the right variant needed when it fits with other stock out there. I'm more in tune with 00 gauge releases... 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I was just looking on Flickr for pictures of them in Provincial livery and I came across this fantastic shot of one box fresh from the factory...

Hunslet Barclay, Class 143 Pacer

By Brian Wotherspoon

Bet it squealed going around that curve! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1