The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

More drone stuff

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, saw that.  Not quite clear what happened from the report, but apparently a kid was flying the drone in the company of two adults.  Parents?.  The footage and flight details were recovered by 'two young people'; are these the same as the two (failing to) supervise the child.  The Beeb state that there was no Operator ID for the drone's owner, but if the drone was sub-250g it an Op ID is not needed, only a Flyer ID, and as we don't know the drone make or model, we don't know if this is the case.  A child can hold a Flyer ID but it must be obtained for them by a suitable adult.  It is not illegal to fly a drone near a glider field, which does not have the same protection of a red Flight Restriction Zone as an airport, but the area will be subject to a yellow 'Hazard Awareness' zone because of other flying activity.  It is, obviously, illegal to fly a drone in such a way as to endanger another aircraft or it's crew, or anything else for that matter.

The Beeb state that the kid deliberately flew the drone into a head-on mid-air collision with the glider, but it is possible that he/she could not control the drone and the parents (?) did not take the controller from him.  In this case, the child is not culpable but the parents (?) are.  If it was a cheap drone of the sort that is difficult to control, there may be some sort of proceedings against the company. 

This is not as unlikely as it sounds.  There are a huge number of cheapo sub-250g drones available online on Amazon, Temu, and similar sites as well as High Street shops which, not having GPS positioning or particularly sophisticated electronics, and having 'all or nothing' on-off controls with no graduated input, are quite difficult to control with any precision, and are the most likely drones to be bought by people who are unaware of the regulations and couldn't care less.  They zoom around the park annoying everyone or fly from their back gardens and p*ss off the neighbours and are happy enough, until the drone flies off into the wide blue yonder or crashes irrepairably.  Hopefully nobody is hurt in the process.

Hobby drones, like electric bicycles, mobile phones, and more or less any new tech that can be used irresponsibly will be used irresponsibly by a minority.  The meeja, bless 'em, love this; a story that can be used to tap into peoples' unhappiness with the modern world and as proof (if any were ever needed) of an alleged decline in standards of behaviour.  There was a time when cyclists and motorists were viewed in the same light. 

The Grey Arrows site has a topic about an idiot in Pensecola, Florida, who posted footage on Facebook of the US Navy's 'Blue Eagles' display team passing about 30 feet below his hovering drone at about 600mph, watched by an enthusiastic crowd on the beach about 200' below.  Pensecola is the base airfield for this display team.  Flying in a tight formation, a collision could easily have resulted in several aircraft being brought down in flames on top of the crowd; this was a properly stupid thing to do.  He's flying in a red FRZ, and flying stupidly; the general reaction on Grey Arrows and Facebook is to condemn the action with comment along the lines of 'this is why we get increased levels of regulation' and 'idiot minority spoils it for everyone'.  He'll be tracked down and fined or imprisoned. 

I suppose if people drove their cars to the speed limits there would be no need to introduce limiters on new ones, or maybe it's just a good idea because the technology is now available...

• RMweb Gold

🤔For now...

Took Mr Drone up Caerphilly Mountain yesterday, it was wonderful up there, spectacular dramatic skies, views up to the Beacons escaprment skyline and down-Channel to Ilfracombe and Lundy.  Must be 20 years since I've been up there, and it's changed a lot, I think because there are no sheep grazing any more.  The ferns have taken over and there's a lot of shrubbery and small tree stuff going on, spoiling some of the viewlines.  398' up, however...

A pity, then, that sum fule forgot to put the memory card in the drone, so no video.  Came home with some decent photos, though!  Another disappointment was that the snack bar, which prides itself on being open every day of the year and sells the best steak sarnies in Wales, shuts at 6, just before The Johnster rocked up on the bus...

Last bus home at 7 minutes past 8, dead on time, but nonetheless a massive relief to see it coming over the crest of the hill on the Watford.  Cue comedy sketch involving Johnster trying to put the drone away in the bag while the bus hurtled around the wiggly switchback of the mountain road; you'd have to pay for that at a funfair!  Quick beer in town changing buses, a most satisfactory adventure except for the 'sum fule' part.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Beeb state that there was no Operator ID for the drone's owner, but if the drone was sub-250g it an Op ID is not needed, only a Flyer ID, and as we don't know the drone make or model, we don't know if this is the case.  

Not quite true. According to the CAA:

image.png.0716dc7ddf585886871bd7a6ff5be771.png

The AAIB report identifies the drone in question as a DJI mini 2, so not a toy, has a camera, so an operator ID is required.

I have a sub 250g drone with camera so I have an operator ID and is labelled on the drone. I didn't need it, but I've got a flyer ID too.

• RMweb Gold

Did some night flying yesterday evening in the hope of getting some groovy city lights footage, not a success because the camera can’t cope with the dark (I’ll have a play with settings later).  What was an unqualified success was the Stobon flashing led, clearly visible against the night sky 400’ up, making visual line of sight flying as required by the CAA a simple matter at night, in fact easier than some glare-related daytime conditions.  

I’m proper impressed with this thing, 4g in weight so that I am still within the CAA’s weight limit.  It is claimed to be visible at a 3-mile range, and against a dark background I don’t doubt it!  Stickyback/Velcro mount, so it’ll go on pretty much anything, 5-hour run time, usb charge, but I have backed up the attachment with superglue. 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2024 at 20:53, 2750Papyrus said:

You'll trigger a UFO report!

Drones and UFO reports? That reminds me ...

I got this story from an ex-RAF pilot while we were both working at the same place.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, they were test-flying an early generation of drones out of Boscombe.  Of course, the kind of drones we know now are digitally-controlled with GPS, precision navigation and good control response. But the drones back then were clunky beasts, analogue-controlled, no GPS, knowledge of their location was by triangulation of weak signals, and remote control response could be quite poor.

if you know where Boscombe is, most of the nearby population centres are to the north, east and west.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=10/51.1242/-1.9343

Now, they weren't top-secret aircraft but they were still experimental and classified, so they mostly flew routes to the west. Over the least-populated areas, but going over places like Salisbury Plain, Andover, Stonehenge, Avebury and Glastonbury. Back then, these places were full of alternative-culture folk often smoking wacky-backy. And seeing these strange craft in the night sky, with flickering lights, and wobbling around and changing direction a lot.

Some folks phoned the MoD, asking about these strange aircraft. But the MoD, habitually-prone to secrecy, denied they were anything to do with them.

Net result? Oh wow man! They must be UFOs!

Do you remember "The Troggs"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troggs

They were from Andover, and their lead singer Reg Presley lived there too, and kept seeing these "UFOs". He then spent the next five decades or so, spending a large chunk of whatever he'd earn from The Troggs on UFO research.

• Like 1

My shipment from Hong Kong arrived this morning and thankfully no import or VAT charges. Thank you post office and HMRC (if thats who it is that collects duty?)

All three flight batteries now on charge and the Tx units battery also on charge too. 

Can't wait for a trail flight 😄

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brian said:

My shipment from Hong Kong arrived this morning and thankfully no import or VAT charges. Thank you post office and HMRC (if thats who it is that collects duty?)

All three flight batteries now on charge and the Tx units battery also on charge too. 

Can't wait for a trail flight 😄

May joy be unconfined!

For trial flight, open level space, low winds, not too many people about (I’m assuming your drone weighs less than 250g, above which different rules and certification apply. I’m also assuming you have your Operator ID from the CAA).  After pairing the drone to the RC and the app, go through the startup procedure, make sure she’s sitting level and nothing is going to foul the props, and use the lift-off button to hover the drone about 6’ away from you.  

This will immediately tell you a lot about the quality and capabilities of the drone.  It has gps, so it should hover steadily and not drift.  Keep the RC pointing towards the drone for best signal. Increase altitude, lh joystick forward, to clear trees &c, and use the lh joystick to turn left or right.  Then try forwards, backwards, and sideways each direction a few times with the rh stick to get the feel of it, but don’t go far and if you can control the speed keep it slow.  With your new-found experience bring it back over you and descend to land, lh stick towards you.  

Take a break to absorb what you’ve just learned, good idea to have taken a flask of tea and a sarnie with.  Did the drone fly accurately without drift, was it bothered by the wind (assuming you were flying within it’s rating, which will be in the manual either as a speed in kph or ‘level 5’, meaning Beaufort force 5, for example?  Did you feel in control?  Then go up again to try out the camera and fpv view.  Fly away about 30 yards and try the RTH button; the drone should come back and hover in front of you, then land.  Time to chalk up a successful flight, and go over the pub to celebrate.  You are now a Drone Pilot. 

For early flights, don’t go too far and don’t be afraid of altitude; you are much safer above the trees, trees are bad, m’kay (they’ll jump out on you) and the drone is easier to locate silhouetted against the sky after you’ve glanced at the phone screen.  Join Grey Arrows, who do £5m public liability insurance for members and are an equivalent source of advice about drones to this site for model railways.  

May you land as many times as you take off; happy flying, let us know how you get on!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Drones must have become mainstream.

DJI now have a shop in the centre of Birmingham. (DJI/Hasselblad shop)

Edited by melmerby

18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

May joy be unconfined!

For trial flight, open level space, low winds, not too many people about (I’m assuming your drone weighs less than 250g, above which different rules and certification apply. I’m also assuming you have your Operator ID from the CAA).  After pairing the drone to the RC and the app, go through the startup procedure, make sure she’s sitting level and nothing is going to foul the props, and use the lift-off button to hover the drone about 6’ away from you.  

This will immediately tell you a lot about the quality and capabilities of the drone.  It has gps, so it should hover steadily and not drift.  Keep the RC pointing towards the drone for best signal. Increase altitude, lh joystick forward, to clear trees &c, and use the lh joystick to turn left or right.  Then try forwards, backwards, and sideways each direction a few times with the rh stick to get the feel of it, but don’t go far and if you can control the speed keep it slow.  With your new-found experience bring it back over you and descend to land, lh stick towards you.  

Take a break to absorb what you’ve just learned, good idea to have taken a flask of tea and a sarnie with.  Did the drone fly accurately without drift, was it bothered by the wind (assuming you were flying within it’s rating, which will be in the manual either as a speed in kph or ‘level 5’, meaning Beaufort force 5, for example?  Did you feel in control?  Then go up again to try out the camera and fpv view.  Fly away about 30 yards and try the RTH button; the drone should come back and hover in front of you, then land.  Time to chalk up a successful flight, and go over the pub to celebrate.  You are now a Drone Pilot. 

For early flights, don’t go too far and don’t be afraid of altitude; you are much safer above the trees, trees are bad, m’kay (they’ll jump out on you) and the drone is easier to locate silhouetted against the sky after you’ve glanced at the phone screen.  Join Grey Arrows, who do £5m public liability insurance for members and are an equivalent source of advice about drones to this site for model railways.  

May you land as many times as you take off; happy flying, let us know how you get on!

I did try her in my garden late yesterday afternoon as it was such a nice warm and quite still day. It is quite quick in forward and reverse even on the slow setting and I had a little bit of a job tracking it, but I managed.  The self-return to take off position is very useful and I used that several times. The drone weighs less than 250g and has a camera.

I have both my Flyer ID and Operator ID from the CAA. 😄

Thanks for the heads up re Grey Arrows. That will be next on my list along with seeing if there are any local groups/clubs that I can attend.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good to hear.  I, OTOH, went over to my local park and demonstrated my total mastery of drone flying by forgetting a) to charge up the old iPhone I use for fpv flying, then b) forgetting the usb-c-usb cable to use the new phone (DJI’s system means a cable attachment between the RC and the fpv phone), so you did better than me.  It was a lovely evening so I sat on the riverbank and watched the dragonflies flying and the perch swimming instead.  A perch is a gorgeous thing if it catches the light!

Lesson; do the checklist every time Johnster.  Especially when you are absolutely 100% certain that you don’t need to, coz that’s when it gets ya!  The RTH does wonders for your confidence, doesn’t it, but remember to set it high enough to clear obstacles as it will make a b-line for you.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Presumably one of those shops where the prices are not displayed, and if you have to ask you can’t afford it🥺

Well Hasselblad was/is an upmarket camera brand (remember Apollo astronauts taking snaps) and I assume DJI (who now own it) want the association.

• RMweb Gold

Some high-end DJI drones have Hasselblad camera equipment, so there is a production association between the two companies as well.  No idea who makes the camera in my Mini 2 SE, probably DJI, definitely not Hasselblad, but I'm happy with my camera's performance anyway...

It's an odd pairing, though; DJI are world leaders in drone manufacture, supplying something like 70% of hobby drones globally and 80% in the US, where there is a move to ban their sale because of unspecified 'security/privacy' issues because they are manufactured in China.  Hasselblad are a renowned quality camera manufacturer, but supply a somewhat niche customer base.  Seems to work well enough, though!                  

s

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Disaster!  Flying off the Cardiff Barrage yesterday evening at dusk, got some cracking footage, when the drone was mobbed by seagulls.  It's current location is at the bottom of the Bristol Channel just off the entrance to Cardiff Docks, and even if it could be recovered at low tide (very risky on that mud) salt water is corrosive and it will be totalled.  I'm a bit t-eed off!  There were about 8 of them, 'stards, I 'ates 'em, I does.  I took out a policy with a firm called Coverdrone last Thursday but even so it will cost me £50 excess as well as putting me out of action for however long it takes to sort out.  

I'm not doing well with seagulls lately; back in March one sh*t on me and it is now 9 weeks since my O2 phone signal has been down because of gulls nesting in the mast (i'm using a Vodaphone SIM for now).  Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me, starting to take it personal now, and  Jonathan Livingstone can ferk off!

The Grey Arrows site has topics about bird strikes, and the worst by all accounts are Oystercatchers, but gulls get quite a bit of mention as well.  The advice is to climb vertically as quickly as possible, because drones can climb much faster than birds and you are less likely to be attacked from below.  But this incident was sudden. a hit'n'run job by experts, and in the failing dusk light I didn't see the unsilhouetted 'stards coming whereas my drone was silhouetted against the last of the daylight, not to mention the flashing stroble light; they know all about tactical advantage.  Normal service will be resumed once the replacement is sorted, but I've no idea how long I'll be grounded for and it has knocked my confidence a bit.  Cardiff, like most coastal cities, is rammed with gulls, ferkin' skyrats.  Don't think they were protecting nests, bit late in the season for that, presumably the mobbing meant they thought I was a predator.  Could've done with a couple of wing-mounted cannon...  Grey Arrows advice is to 'wrap' (you can buy stickyback decorative wraps for drones) in dayglo orange but it was probably too dark for that to have made a difference.  In any case, my default for this sort of thing is paint, and varnish; I'm a railway modeller at heart!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The phone app records the last ten seconds of the flight, and records the position of the last xmission.  Looking at the vid, there’s a possibilty that the loss of control might be to do with pressing the RTH (return to home) button; they happened at or very close to the exact same time.  There were gulls, but they might be guilty.  Or not. 

There’s a thing called Airdata you can join, which I haven’t yet, which accesses DJI’s database and can provide you with detailed flight records for your drone.  Not sure yet if this can be done retrospectively, though I can’t see why not.  So, it may yet be a matter of replacement under warranty as opposed to claiming on the insurance!  Which would save me £50.  OTOH it would mean my not really being able to trust the RTH!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Some progress today; managed to get to grips with the online insurance claim, which has been submitted.  Seems all straightforward enough and should be sorted soon (famous last words).  I'm going to miss perfect flying weather over the next two days!

I haven't managed to sort out Airdata yet; I've downloaded and registered everything it needs but can't quite fathom how to sync it.  I'm assured on Grey Arrow that it can retrieve flight data from before I downloaded it, from the DJI databank, but I'm not sure that it can do this from a drone that lies full fathom five at the bottom of the Bristol Channel.  I'll have another go tomoz.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorted Airdata and how to upload flight data from the DJI Fly app to it.  The data is pretty comprehensive and I’ve got a clearer picture of what happened on Tuesday evening; ‘aircraft received a shock/was pushed forward and tipped upwards, possible collision.  The only thing it could have collided with apart from a cloaked alien battlecruiser is gulls, there’s nothing else up there and they followed it down to be certain of the kill, the ‘stards. I’m told oystercatchers are worse!