GWR pre-grouping liveries

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pete Haitch said:

I've been scouring the Internet for end views and this is the closest I've found (unattributed on Pinterest - I'm taking a punt that the original was taken by a private individual  who  died before 1949 and therefore out of copyright).  I'm sure that some one on here will immediately identify the source of the original and what dia cattle wagon it is. 

W2a.jpg

Hi Pete,

That is my negative that was mentioned earlier in the thread by Mikkel.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Craigw said:

Hi Pete,

That is my negative that was mentioned earlier in the thread by Mikkel.

Regards,

Craig W

Thanks - I should have realised that - the dangers of internetting late at night after watching an England (mens) football match.

Pete H

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Fuzzy end shot of an X2 in Theale yard, c 1909-10, but it shows the disposition of the lettering

So is that the size under the G and the number under the W?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

So is that the size under the G and the number under the W?

Hard to tell, but...

This is a crop from a photo of Leamington North "at the turn of the century" according to the caption (A.R. Kingdom, "The Great Western at the Turn of the Century", p.26):

IMG_4727.jpeg.70eee128b278434ce0a588e7a7e29fc6.jpeg

This photo accords with what is in Great Western Way (see my post on July 1st in this thread), but possibly not with the photo posted by @Miss Prism just now, in which the 'density' of lettering appears similar on both sides. Perhaps that shows the latter scheme, where the number and size would normally be in the centre, but have been put on the left and right panels because of the centre frame member?

Nick.

PS I realise this photo is also online at https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls237c.htm

Edited by magmouse
Extra info
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, magmouse said:

PS I realise this photo is also online at https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrls237c.htm

Where it is more accurately captioned as 1904 or after by John Lewis, who also thinks No. 68103 was built in 1904. I suppose it all depends how elastic 'at the turn of the century' can be - there being a world of difference between 1890 and 1910, the advertised date range of Kingdom's book, published by OPC in 1976. (But possibly not quite as worrying as the 1902-1922 date range of a well-known layout on the exhibition circuit.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Where it is more accurately captioned as 1904 or after by John Lewis, who also thinks No. 68103 was built in 1904. I suppose it all depends how elastic 'at the turn of the century' can be - there being a world of difference between 1890 and 1910, the advertised date range of Kingdom's book, published by OPC in 1976. (But possibly not quite as worrying as the 1902-1922 date range of a well-known layout on the exhibition circuit.)

68103 was in fact built in July 1898 to Lot 185, so on that basis the photo can be at any point in the 20th century or even a little before.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Chrisbr said:

68103 was in fact built in July 1898 to Lot 185, so on that basis the photo can be at any point in the 20th century or even a little before.....

Apart from the livery.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, billbedford said:

Depends on how often they were repainted. 

I meant, not:

12 hours ago, Chrisbr said:

but still no earlier than 1904, on the grounds of the large G W.

• Like 5