Lodi Lokstore digital DCC automation

Posted (edited)

It is extremely robust and suites automation perfectly as Andreas has worked extensively with the program authors, especially iTrain, to ensure it meets the requirements and needs.

at the recent Dortmund Fair, iTrain and Lodi shared a stand with each other - I think that says it all.

Edited by WIMorrison
Spelling correction

That is the key to have a product that is dependant on another and they working together. It is seems to me an incredible that this appeals to me as a not a real tech need and I can't find any negative feedback from people who are tech nerds. This system makes the hobby fun. Along with iTrains.

• RMweb Premium

It's a system I am looking to with interest. I've also found this YouTube channel to be very good at a real world implementation - https://www.youtube.com/@hillmanhalt

My only reservation is that I would like to connect to LocoNet and Xpressnet devices I already have. I'm therefore between either this (if it's possible) or the Z21 system.

Amazing, an iTrain user who has literally just started using it posting videos on how to use it already!

I notice that he is using sectionalised track and didn’t put dropper to every bit of track, nor did he solder the rail joiners - problems coming almost in the future 😞

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, E100 said:

My only reservation is that I would like to connect to LocoNet and Xpressnet devices I already have. I'm therefore between either this (if it's possible) or the Z21 system.

When you say Expressnet, what do you mean?

Handheld Lenz controllers? Or something else?

On 16/05/2024 at 00:43, E100 said:

My only reservation is that I would like to connect to LocoNet and Xpressnet devices I already have.

I have NCE SB5  ut I will just sell that and start fresh with LODI

What are the XpressNet and LocoNet devices? Are they throttles, accessory decoders, feedback decoders, or something else?

just using the bus name leaves it open as hundreds of devices

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jTrackin said:

I seem to keep coming up against negative comments on z21 systems but don't seem find any from LODI is that because one is old and Lodi is newer?

Really. I don’t recall seeing anything particularly negative about Z21, apart from some users were reluctant to let go of a previous version of the app. It seems to me there are so many different DCC systems, that there’ll never be one that everyone agrees as being either the best or the worst. When choosing a DCC system, much depends on whether the user wants a push-button approach or screen based.

Ian

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jTrackin said:

I seem to keep coming up against negative comments on z21 systems but don't seem find any from LODI is that because one is old and Lodi is newer?

Not sure where you see negativity against z/Z21 system as it universally seen as a solid and robust system. In fact you see very few comments because it simply - works.

You will find people who don’t understand the difference between a z21 and a Z21 then buy the wrong unit, but that isn’t the fault of the z/Z21.

You also need to separate comments about the app (which needs to be purchased for non z/Z21 systems using it) from the actual command station command station comments before considering whether it is good or bad 😉

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, jTrackin said:

More likely that on UK/English forums, LODI is almost unheard of.  Probably more on German speaking forums if you frequent those. 

How many users are there on RMWeb who post about using LODI ?  Almost zero.   

How many retailers carrying LODI gear in the UK ?  Is it just one ? 

How many RMWeb users posting about Z21 ?  Lots - and that includes those who are using the Z21 software Apps to control hardware other than that supplied by Roco.   

How many retailers carrying Roco gear ?  Dozens, including "box shifters".  So, likely more threads seen. 

Age of development has little to do with it, other than time for a larger installed base to be established. 

17 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

You will find people who don’t understand the difference between a z21 and a Z21 then buy the wrong unit, but that isn’t the fault of the z/Z21.

Though I would throw some blame at Roco for their naming of the two systems - that naming of Z21/z21 leads to confusion.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Though I would throw some blame at Roco for their naming of the two systems - that naming of Z21/z21 leads to confusion.  

Especially once autocorrect capitalises the small z as you type it 🙄

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Especially once autocorrect capitalises the small z as you type it 🙄

Doesn't when I type it.

z21

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Mayhap you're not the only person on the internet😉

Perhaps because I don't have autocorrect/predictive text enabled.

All my spelling mistakes are my own.☺️

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Posted (edited)

Also I was wanting to try out the MP10 motors then I found there was a another sort DP10 for  DCC. Has anyone try them before. 

Edited by jTrackin

• RMweb Gold

After three years of intensive use, I can say that the Lodi system is very robust and it offers a wide range of possibilities. 
I have a Gauge 0 layout which is controlled by Windigipet 2021PE. 

IMG20221128213201.jpg

@RvSwol

Like to know about your layout and Lodi system.

You seem to have a lot of units.

Do you find it reasonably priced?

Do you use iTrains with it.?

Regards James 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jTrackin said:

Do you use iTrains with it.?

On 19/05/2024 at 18:01, RvSwol said:

I have a Gauge 0 layout which is controlled by Windigipet 2021PE. 

• RMweb Gold

In response to these questions, 
Yes I own the professional edition of iTrain.

The question why windigipet anyway.

The answer is, iTrain a block oriented system and Windigipet NOT. 
Whereas in iTrain I am obliged to stop a train ( locomotive ) in a block, and turnouts are always between two blocks and a turnout can never be a block.

In Windigipet, I can stop any train (locomotive) on a turnout, provided the turnout has a feedback indicator.  

On a scale 0, some turnout's are   58 cm long and a  ) gauge Pannier can easily stop on it, to turn around. 
This gives a much more realistic view of a shunting movement. 

There are many more things that are different from iTrain.  

I think iTain is a very good product , but not for me , considering I run a real station and shunting yard  based on a driving times table .

Will put it this way where iTrain ends begins Windigipet. 😉

I also like the fact that Windigipet comes with a Dongel .

So it is marketable, therefore no needs for a server check,  to see if a copy is running somewhere. 

Very good in windigipet is the simulation mode than can simultaneously run xxx trains, to discover bottlenecks in the serving scheme.

But practice is always different from theory. 

The costs are in line with the other available systems , only the boosters are more expensive  😠 than the other manufacturers.
Oh yes everything is 100% made at Lodi in Germany , so no made in China . 

some screen from Windigipet and Lodi FX 

wantstow road .png

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-25 123326.png

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-25 123650.png

Mink A.png

Schermafbeelding 2024-05-25 124257.png

lodi booster .png

• RMweb Gold

Shunting with windigipet is great . So precise and always on spot .

In this example, windigipet measures and controls the class 33's driving behaviour. Listen to how windigipet makes the locomotive roll out over the points and how it stops on the buffers of the MK1 passenger wagon.

https://youtu.be/ZQTnaXR6dvY

Later I made a refinement so that the diesel stops 5 cm in front of the wagon and after 3 seconds the diesel is pressed against the buffers at crawling speed. 

Would like to mention that Windigipet recently has an English manual that you can download at

https://www.windigipet.de/foren/index.php?topic=87484.0

kind regards 

Rupert 

38 minutes ago, RvSwol said:

I also like the fact that Windigipet comes with a Dongel .

So it is marketable, therefore no needs for a server check,  to see if a copy is running somewhere. 

methinks you are confusing yourself with another product that is German and not iTrain 😉

iTrain doesn’t ’phone home’ to check if it is running elsewhere - and it doesn’t need a dongle.

• Like 1