Berkhamsted Gasworks NG horse worked tramway

Wooden safety fences based on the prototype photograph have now been added and the grass filled in around them to tidy up the embankment. A greater contrast between narrow gauge and the larger railway above is provided by adding 'speed blur' to the LMS train. It took a few attempts to avoid having my finger in shot. 

WbaDrYh.jpg

I think that this probably completes this diorama  and my attempt to capture something of a low key rail operation which most were probably unaware of despite passing directly above.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 14/05/2024 at 10:36, AndrueC said:

It sounds like it'll be a lovely layout but as an ex-resident of the town (lived and worked there back in the early '90s) I feel bound to correct the spelling because non-residents often get it wrong. It's Berkhamsted. Only one 'a' and to avoid another common mistake, no 'p' :)

Pronounced 'berk-um-sted' as well for our foreign readers 😉

.. or 'Berko' to it's friends 😁

Not a bad place to live as it's surrounded by nice countryside with lovely walks to the north and just before I left they opened a bypass which improved the high street immeasurably. It was as a close as I ever got (thankfully) to living in London and was the start of my bizarre working/living along the A41 as a I gradually retreated from the horrors of London. Also the start of me working/living in places that begin with the letter 'B'.

Anyway whereabouts was the Gas Works? I worked in an office block next to the canal (behind the Waitrose car park) for a couple of years so walked around that area during my lunch breaks.

You are right and you are wrong.

Having attended the school just over the canal, I did learn one thing. There are at least 56 spelling variations on the name of the town. Until not so long ago it was also prefixed with 'Great' to distinguish it from 'Little' which is about 20 miles away ATCF.

Bernard

I gave a talk recently about various industries in the town. I have just dug out my notes. The gas company went by the name of The Great Berkhamstead Gas Light and Coke Company. Please note the spelling folks.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard Lamb
More information added.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1