Revolution confirms Alcan PCA tanks in N

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Following a successful Expressions of Interest campaign, Revolution Trains has confirmed it will offer the Alcan PCA alumina powder tanks in N.

374131991.AlanMitchell..jpg.099970909a95ca84fff99798da72b3a3.jpg

(Photo courtesy Alan Mitchell.)

These distinctive wagons are used to transport alumina from Blyth bulk terminal in north east England to the UK's last remaining aluminium smelter at Fort William in the Scottish Highlands, and while the flow is relatively restricted the train does operate through the beautiful highland scenery. 

66740RannochAndyHoarecrop.jpg.c2f48d8e354804d5801271ab259dfd3c.jpg

(Photo courtesy Andy Hoare.)

They have operated primarily with Classes 37 and 66, though have also seen haulage by Classes 26, 56 and even, memorably, a Class 55 Deltic.  This makes them, arguably, an ideal 'Rule 1' model and they have proved surprisigly popular in 00.

PCAN-005-tint.jpg.b32348a7274fefec591f6e0e1decb685.jpg

Development should be relatively fast as the research was carried out for the 4mm version, and the response to our expressions of interest was very encouraging.  Should those expressions translate to orders relatively quickly we expect the model to go into tooling in the next few weeks.

Lochaber19-7-2022.jpg.6718d1bdb20481799c05a5b12a86dcd8.jpg

CAD is complete and we expect to offer the models in the same format as in 00 - in a selection of four-packs all with different numbers, and representing the wagons throughout their service lives.  However we may not be able to offer the full variety of liveries that are available in 00.

GFXNoffer.jpg.baed61b230f84b410f84156fc0990894.jpg

The order book is expected to open early next month, so please look out for the discounted pre-order price, and for more information see the news page of the Revolution Trains website.

We'd like to thank everyone who took the time to show their interest and make this happen.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Great news. Not one for me but I hope it leads to some other wagons that are/were geographically or numerically limited. 

Steven B

• Like 1

Great news that a lot of interest has been shown in this,if the detailing is anything like the Texaco class b tanks I will be one happy pappy.i was down for three packs but will go for the full four in alcan branding or faded branding,if it gets produced.i remember working on the A85 between lochearnhead,glenogle and crianlarich resurfacing the road I would see artic lorrys with two to three large aluminium ignots on the back on a Daly base's.why was this not transported by rail.🤔 Anyway glad to see these getting made and although most of the stock I have is weathered I will go for the early bird on this on one. cheers guys.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a oo modeller, based on the oo version you are very much in for a treat! Can't wait to see a full rake on the exhibition circuit.

• Like 1

Really good news that the interest is there in N  for such a route restricted prototype.

Is it too early Ben to ask if you can consider the particular varient of GBRF  in tranche 2 of 66 releases, that operate with these over the West Highland whenever that might be. Not asking for or expecting a commitment before the first batch arrive, that's not reasonable. Just getting in early with the idea for consideration.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Ben and Revolution team, can I ask if you can also announce that the order book is open on this thread as well, please, as even though I've signed up (several times) for email newsletters I don't seem to get them.

As I committed to multiple packs in the 'expressions of interest' I intend to be true to my word ... but the wife might be a little happier if I take advantage of the 'early bird' offer ! 😉🤣

Kind regards,

Ian.

PS

- can't wait for these !

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Hello Ben and Revolution team, can I ask if you can also announce that the order book is open on this thread as well, please, as even though I've signed up (several times) for email newsletters I don't seem to get them.

As I committed to multiple packs in the 'expressions of interest' I intend to be true to my word ... but the wife might be a little happier if I take advantage of the 'early bird' offer ! 😉🤣

Kind regards,

Ian.

PS

- can't wait for these !

Hi Ian,

Thanks for supporting the project.

For the latest the best place to look is always our website project page.

We do try to keep across threads here, but to be honest that isn’t always possible when we are busy packing and posting models and attending exhibitions.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, njee20 said:

Thanks, I had (supposedly) looked at the website before posting ... and still missed it, I did at least have a pleasant re-read of the background information which will help me decide on quantities to order of different liveries.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Ben,

First order placed but can I ask how long the 'Early Bird' window will be roughly open for please as I'd like to make a second order when I decide which other livery version to go for and also would need time to shuffle funds around as I don't internet bank and am about to go away on holiday in a few days ... plus not helped by the fact that all my local and even not so local branches have shut down (Grrr.)

A simple "It will still be open in July" will suffice if possible.

TIA

Regards,

Ian.

On 17/06/2024 at 22:19, Revolution Ben said:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for supporting the project.

For the latest the best place to look is always our website project page.

We do try to keep across threads here, but to be honest that isn’t always possible when we are busy packing and posting models and attending exhibitions.

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Hello Ian,

Usually the EarlyBird lasts about 6 weeks.  The point of it is to generate funds quickly for the project so we can move it through production more rapidly, and to give those who support us from the start a reward.

Of course, even when it goes up to the standard pre-order price that is still less than RRP.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello Ben,

I'm just trying to order 5 packs of the Rio Tinto branded wagons but am only seeing pack H on the order menu, is this correct or are there any other packs with different running numbers in this livery that I'm not seeing, please ?

Sorry for being a pain,

Regards,

Ian.

On 24/06/2024 at 22:58, Revolution Ben said:

Hello Ian,

Usually the EarlyBird lasts about 6 weeks.  The point of it is to generate funds quickly for the project so we can move it through production more rapidly, and to give those who support us from the start a reward.

Of course, even when it goes up to the standard pre-order price that is still less than RRP.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2024 at 16:02, 03060 said:

Hello Ben,

I'm just trying to order 5 packs of the Rio Tinto branded wagons but am only seeing pack H on the order menu, is this correct or are there any other packs with different running numbers in this livery that I'm not seeing, please ?

Sorry for being a pain,

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

If you don’t select a branding variation but click on the Pack drop down you can see all the different packs for each branding variation. There’s only one pack of Rio Tinto wagons so for a rake of 20 you’d need to order 5 packs. We offered different numbers of packs depending on popularity (both from expressions of interest and OO sales). 

Cheers Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Gang;

it would have been nice to have a second set of Rio Alcan Tinto numbers, which might have mean another purchase, but in the big picture, the fact that the numbers are replicated are fairly irrelevant in N Gauge. Indeed it was only a few years ago, we never had any such choices...other than re-decalling ourselves!!

Later;

Stu from NRSW

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, it took me a while to get my 2nd order in due to problems on my part, ie transferring funds and making my mind up as to which later version to go for, but I finally got there ... I don't think that I've ever been so excited about a RTR model wagon project having spent many hours thinking and struggling as to how I could cobble together a decent looking representation that could then be repeated many times over ... can't wait to see these in the flesh, ie my flesh ! 😂

Regards,

'Excited' from Leeds ! 😉 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We received EP1 samples of the Alcan PCA tanks in N just before last weekend’s international N gauge show. 

IMG_4837.jpeg.889cf8f92c0d98b5752c34c4dd69c80c.jpeg

(photo courtesy Tom Everitt/N Gauge News)

They’ll now be checked and decorated samples prepared and approved before production can begin.  

cheers

Ben A. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1