The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Droning on and on…

• RMweb Gold

Just post Covid I heard and saw a drone pass up and down over the street where my other bungalow is in Fairbourne where I lived at the time.  I didn't think anything about it, in fact I was more curious than offended.

Subsequently I saw the footage.  It was being filmed by Turkish broadcaster TRT for an English language Turkish World Service TV programme about the future of Fairbourne which can be seen on YouTube.  Good job I had cleaned the car and recently painted the fence as you got a nice aerial shot of the Swedish State Barge parked outside.  It was clearly a professional drone and I assume TRT had sought licence to fly up and down the street.

57 minutes ago, PMP said:

Drones are legally considered aircraft, shooting one down puts you liable to be charged with ’endangering an aircraft’ under the air navigation order. Thus a potential unlimited fine (IIRC) and certainly up to five years in jail.

Don't be daft. You don't even get that for shining lasers at proper aircraft with actual people in them.

Somebody above mentioned insurance - probably wise, given that if you do end up hurting someone by mistake, it would be better to know that they will be compensated for it.

Note that most household insurance policies (both contents only and buildings and contents) have a public liability element, which covers this risk. Check the policy (and any exclusions).

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Err - what about the 150m. from residential property rule?

Anyone hovering a drone over my property would soon know how I felt about it!

CJI.

Weight dependent. The Johnster can’t fly within 50/150m of your property with his drone, I can with mine as it’s less than 249g.

You can complain all you like, it would be legal for me to hover my drone over your property if I were bloody minded enough to do so.

Posted (edited)

The best way to get insurance is through membership of the BMFA. You get a year's cover of public liability insurance up to 25 million pounds.

Edited by froobyone
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

150m above, presumably.

As per the CAA diagram posted earlier 150m lateral too.

9 minutes ago, PMP said:

You are clearly the pub expert. Some of us are actual SQEP on the air navigation order, because it’s our job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54468532.amp

You are clearly the pub bore. £287 fine for preventing an air ambulance attending an emergency.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2115334/Yobs-shone-laser-pen-air-ambulance-pilot-s-eyes-stopping-taking-dying-man-hospital-walk-free-court.html

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 30801 said:

You are clearly the pub bore. £287 fine for preventing an air ambulance attending an emergency.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2115334/Yobs-shone-laser-pen-air-ambulance-pilot-s-eyes-stopping-taking-dying-man-hospital-walk-free-court.html

You are aware that each case is judged on its own merits? That’s the way the Uk legal system ‘works’.

In this case two morons got fined. There are plenty of other UK cases where jail terms have been given. Here’s one from less than a month ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-68838349.amp

Endangering an aircraft carries the potential of an unlimited fine and five years inside. Shooting a drone down comes under that legislation.

1 hour ago, Derekl said:

Note that most household insurance policies (both contents only and buildings and contents) have a public liability element, which covers this risk. Check the policy (and any exclusions).

Given the size of the potential risks I would not expect a standard household PL cover to include the use of drones, although I am not up to date on that specific aspect. You also need to be aware of the 'Uberrimae Fides' rule, which means [with some exceptions] that you have to tell the insurer about anything you do which might lead to an increase in the risk they are carrying, and it's their opinion on the risk which matters, not yours, the point being that you know the details of what you are doing and they don't unless you tell them. Also, the limit of liability for PL on a normal household policy will probably be somewhere between £2M and £5M, which may not be enough in the case of drone use, where there is a pretty small risk, probably, but nevertheless the possibility of something much more expensive happening. Any costs above the insurers' policy limit will come back to the operator...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PMP said:

Weight dependent. The Johnster can’t fly within 50/150m of your property with his drone, I can with mine as it’s less than 249g.

You can complain all you like, it would be legal for me to hover my drone over your property if I were bloody minded enough to do so.

It might not be there for too long, though!

CJI.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Why’s that then?

44 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Bottle rocket SAM!

16 hours ago, PMP said:

No one owns the airspace above their property. A neighbour could hover their drone above your garden day in, day out, entirely legally.

Whoever owns the property owns the airspace up to two meters above any part of the property/building/structure.

There are legal ways of stopping anyone "hovering their drone" above your garden - via Environmental Health for a start.

There are also "grey area's" too ;

Drone.jpg

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, PMP said:

If anyone tried that sort of stunt with me I would buy one too - I'm not too good with radio controlled things and whilst practicing they may unfortunatly collide.....................

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Whoever owns the property owns the airspace up to two meters above any part of the property/building/structure.

There are legal ways of stopping anyone "hovering their drone" above your garden - via Environmental Health for a start.

There are also "grey area's" too ;

Drone.jpg

Could you please show the legislation relating to owning airspace 2m above your property. I mean actually owning it, I’ve never heard of or seen it in any property deeds.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1982/16/section/76

You’re right regarding environmental health, there may be a route through there. However, ‘aircraft’ (legally drone = aircraft) are exempt under the environmental pollution act, so it’s probably not as straightforward as a noise complaint for example. Private nuisance would seem to be a likely route, but potentially lengthy and expensive as it would be a civil case.

You say there are grey areas, previous successful ‘endangering an aircraft’ prosecutions range from physical damage to the aircraft, to influencing how an aircraft is operated, and by whom. So that legislation has been pretty effective when used. What are these grey areas?

For those advocating physical action and damaging/destroying a drone need to think a bit smarter. Some of them are extremely expensive, if you damage one are you prepared to go to court for potentially a criminal damage conviction? Also if a commercial drone you can be assured that the operators will be looking for compensation for damage/loss of earnings etc.

If it’s a nobber, do you think they’ll happily let you trash their drone and they’ll go ‘oh yeh never mind’ and just walk away, or might you find the occasional brick through your window, car vandalised, or yourself punched on the nose? Worth considering I’d suggest.

Edited by PMP

9 minutes ago, PMP said:

If it’s a nobber, do you think they’ll happily let you trash their drone and they’ll go ‘oh yeh never mind’ and just walk away, or might you find the occasional brick through your window, car vandalised, or yourself punched on the nose? Worth considering I’d suggest.

If it makes you happy, should I get hold of the nobber who keeps flying one over my house I’ll do my best not to damage the drone as I insert it into him.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, 30801 said:

If it makes you happy, should I get hold of the nobber who keeps flying one over my house I’ll do my best not to damage the drone as I insert it into him.

So you’re going for an old school assault conviction then. Good on ya, let’s hope for your sake they’re not a bit ‘tasty’ eh? 😂 

• Administrators

Same as Facebook, as soon as drone + property is mentioned there's a lot of brave talk about what 'I' would do ignorant of any laws or even common sense. Often the orator has never had the problem, if there is a genuine problem local or law enforcement can be contacted.

Let's keep the topic to practical guidance to Johnster.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, PMP said:

Not if it has a camera