60 Year Library of Railway Magazines

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A long shot !!!

I have for disposal a large quantity of model railway and full scale railway magazines. The magazines are, in several cases, continuous runs from the 1960s, and occupy three book cases.

20240507_202601.jpg.7a79ead3be02d5a314a1018036bf6ba5.jpg

20240507_202614.jpg.0d20b0729a48369e86ecc4d44b2d0eb0.jpg

20240507_202636.jpg.c4e083c8218f9c61231c05ca4a55c67e.jpg

The magazines, together with the book cases if required, can be collected from our home in Bodmin, Cornwall, at a mutually convenient time.

If anyone is interested in acquiring these magazines, or knows of someone or some other organisation who may be, please let me know.

The magazines need to be collected within a reasonably short timescale - the carpet beneath is to be replaced, and the bookcases are not going back!

The alternative, unfortunately, is that the magazine collection will go for recycling.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cabbie37 said:

Equal long shot. I’m after a copy of Railway Modeller of August 1997 if there is one tucked away in you collection that could be available?

Possibly - but I'm afraid all 650kg. of the collection went to the local recycling centre a week ago!

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, janine05 said:

Have you thought about donating them to a railway museum like Didcot?

I did - my local Bodmin & Wenford Steam Railway; not interested!

As above, the lot - all 650kg. of them - went for recycling!

CJI.

18 minutes ago, janine05 said:

That is a real shame.  I'm sure they could have probably sold them on even if it was for only 10p each or something.  At least you did something good for the environment.

I tried too and mine and almost all of mine went to recycling too.  Bluebell used to take them but not any more,

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

When I had a model shop there was a huge pile of modelling magazines that someone had left with me for anyone to have as many of as they wanted. No one even looked at them and they all eventually went for recycling.

Edited by ian
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Fact is that no one is interested in old magazines.  They, sadly, have the same value as old newspapers. 

I had Railway Modeller from c1964 to c1990 with a few Constructor, MRN and Model Railroader mags.  Eventually I cut out the articles I was interested in and put them in one ring binder and the rest went to recycling leaving me with several feet of free shelf space.