Lazonby and Kirkoswald.

Finished the control panel wiring. I have to say I love the DCCconcepts switches. Very straightforward to wire up with tiny plugs for the LEDs making it easy to get them lighting in the right order. 

Graeme

IMG_20240717_193212.jpg

IMG_20240717_193154.jpg

• Like 2

Spent the best part of an hour tonight connecting up the control panel to the motors. Got all the lights showing the proper routes and the point 'pointing' in the right direction. Switched on the gaugemaster Prodigy advance and straightaway it's showing a short. I've disconnected all the frog switching wires and still shorting. next job will be to cut all the droppers and add them back in one a time to try to find waht's gone wrong.

Graeme

• RMweb Premium

Only just found this thread and very much looking forward to following progress. 

LMS on the S&C what’s not to like.

Brian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some more woodwork this week. I should be able to finish laying the main scenic section track in the next week or so. That will leave the viaduct section across this top end before I can make a start on the fiddle yard boards (the timber for these arrives tomorrow). 

Graeme

IMG_20240807_122834.jpg

IMG_20240807_122851.jpg

• Like 2

I've made a bit of a mistake. All the cork underlay to date is from a roll I bought several years ago from the back pages of RM. That ran out on Wednesday so I opened up a roll I've had since easter. It never crossed my mind to check the thickness - isn't all 00 underlay the same? Nope-this new roll is at least twice as thick. I'm going to try sanding a gradual chamfer at the joins and hopefully hide the change when I ballast. 

Graeme

IMG_20240809_130421.jpg

Graeme

I like what you are doing and you are really making progress. Electronics can always be tricky as I know from my day job of construction project management. All the best and will keep checking in on your progress. 
Cheers

Mac

• Like 1

On 09/08/2024 at 14:04, jacko said:

I've made a bit of a mistake. All the cork underlay to date is from a roll I bought several years ago from the back pages of RM. That ran out on Wednesday so I opened up a roll I've had since easter. It never crossed my mind to check the thickness - isn't all 00 underlay the same? Nope-this new roll is at least twice as thick. I'm going to try sanding a gradual chamfer at the joins and hopefully hide the change when I ballast. 

Graeme

IMG_20240809_130421.jpg

I'm at the cork stage with my layout and it's available in 1/16th or 1/8th inch thicknesses in Guagemaster or Javis packaging.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nearly finished the main scenic tracklaying and wiring. All possible routes are working and no shorts. Almost time to start ballasting. 

Graeme. 

IMG_20240823_185536.jpg

IMG_20240823_185516.jpg

• Like 3

I have taken a little video traversing three slips and a bunch of turnouts but I have no idea how to put it on here. 

Graeme

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jacko said:

I have taken a little video traversing three slips and a bunch of turnouts but I have no idea how to put it on here. 

I'm afraid it requires you to upload it to YouTube and then simply paste the link here. 

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, jacko said:

Very nearly finished the main scenic tracklaying and wiring. All possible routes are working and no shorts. Almost time to start ballasting. 

Graeme. 

IMG_20240823_185536.jpg

IMG_20240823_185516.jpg

Forgive me but I think the long siding would look far more pleasing if you made the curve gentler and give a better flow.

Brian

1 hour ago, Dragonboy said:

Forgive me but I think the long siding would look far more pleasing if you made the curve gentler and give a better flow.

Brian

It's a good point Brian and one i had thought about last night but it holds more weight when someone else notices. I'd also be happier if the siding was further from the edgr of the board so today's job will be to lift that entire siding and see how far across I can move it while still maintaining a horse and cart's access to the goods shed (which will have to movve 4 inches closer to the station anyway).

Cheers

Graeme

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jacko said:

It's a good point Brian and one i had thought about last night but it holds more weight when someone else notices.

I hadn't noticed it until Brian mentioned it, and my first reaction was "but maybe the real one was like that.

But he's right, both aesthetically and according to the 25" OS map. The long (mileage ?) siding curves gently until its passed the goods shed, then it runs parallel to the other one. 

I'm following this with interest, Lazonby was one of my stations when I was Ops Suoervisor at Appleby in the early 90s. Admittedly my only real involvement with the place was trying to stop Bells Bakery driving their damn forklift down the platform and a fruitless search (with an equally skeptical BTP bobby) for an alleged flasher dressed as Elvis, but it was a nice spot. 

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

a fruitless search (with an equally skeptical BTP bobby) for an alleged flasher dressed as Elvis, but it was a nice spot. 

@jacko now that has got to be worth a cameo 🙂

• Funny 1

Changed. I'm much happier with the curve now although it's still not exactly right according to the maps. Thats one of the perils of nnot hand building the points. Still it flows much better now and i have space for a wall and maybe half a road along the board edge. I've plonked the skaaledaleDent station and shelter in place just to get an idea of how much real estate the S&C stations took up but it's not right for Lazonby so I'll most likely have to buuld something myself. I have the Metcalfe goods shed but it's the wrong colour. I might try a ruddy coloured wash once it's built to see how that looks. 

Anyway, track work took up nearly the full day so the start on painting and ballasting have been put back a few days. 

Graeme. IMG_20240825_090712.jpg.c05b58f1aadb4dee5bd42397641a1cee.jpgIMG_20240825_090854.jpg.999e336471a8a5b55abd896e6ccfedf3.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jacko said:

I've plonked the skaaledaleDent station and shelter in place just to get an idea of how much real estate the S&C stations took up but it's not right for Lazonby so I'll most likely have to buuld something myself. I have the Metcalfe goods shed but it's the wrong colour

@jacko I think the Hornby Skaledale buildings are under scale.  The Metcalfe S&C equivalents are much better. 

Painted the track this week with sleeper grime. I also started a test of my ballast mix but I'm not going with this.. Grey and brown mixed - ut looks pink. Lucky it's in a tunnel. I've since ordered some plain grey in medium and fine. 

Graeme

IMG_20240830_160745.jpg

IMG_20240830_160801.jpg

• Like 3

Building bridges. Just the wills stone viaduct but I don't have the skill or patience to hand build one out of DAS like Jeff's Arten Gill masterpiece. 

Top half done for now. A bit of filling and sanding to do while it's manageable then i will get the piers put together. 

Graeme 

IMG_20240905_153734.jpg

• Like 4

That's the viaduct built and primed so I'm going to have to start building the board at the end of the layout now. I've settled on a mix of medium grey and fine grey mix for the ballast. I've made a start but it's a slow and tedious process so i might get the station area done then leave the rest for a bit while I get on with the platforms. 

Graeme. 

IMG_20240908_161837.jpg

IMG_20240908_162051.jpg

IMG_20240908_162010.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Graeme

You are setting a cracking pace with your build. I have not checked in for a while and progress is epic ! If I don’t check in more often you will be finished. 

I/we have decided that the big mistake we made with Horton was not making it exhibition friendly so exhibiting it is not really possible. However there is a large space underneath Horton and we are in the very early stages of planning a small exhibition layout. It will be very simple with two tracks running through the countryside and is going to be based on Selside. We are going to try and build what was actually there but will have to see if indeed it is possible. But base board slot has been booked for this time next year with White Rose. I will be writing another builders blog but don’t expect much to be in for 14 months 🙂

• Like 1