A Kingsway Rovers Return build

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A start made on adapting the free Kingsway model to fit a Yorkshire setting. Giving it a separate thread here to that for the layout.

Already completed - work in Photoshop to juggle the name to Drovers Return using components of the original font and updating ownership from Newton & Ridley to Free House. In order to fit the site in the layout’s footprint some tweaking of the footway width already completed. 

Having completed a quick test print of the base to double check I got that right one more step needed before beginning a beta build. In Photoshop copy the footway slabs to a new layer and tweak the grey (as supplied) to a cream for the  yorkstone paviours typical of the modelled area. 

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Part of the beta build process is actually working out if I do use this pub kit on the layout which way around is best as there are two obvious potential orientations for the building and a third but less likely option. 

1. The basic kit has no back wall although I have options in mind for that. It gives an option to add a section featuring what is missing in (2).
  2. None of the windows of the kit have occluded panes so obviously something has to be modified or added as a pub needs customer toilets a kitchen and a bathroom for the landlord & family.
  3. No obvious entry point for the beer! Fairly vital for a pub. A simple cellar hatch being placed in the footway would be the simplest modelling option; however realistically if I stick with the supposed location the ground water level from the River Foss and Tang Hall Beck would render a cellar impractical due to water ingress & potential flooding. Some form of extra door will also need adding provided the road layout I add at the front allows for maneuvering.
  4. As you can see from the trial placement using a medium sized van I have checked that if I do use this placement option a beer dray would be able to access that side of the building.
  5. I also need to remeasure the current bolts holding this removable section on and buy some shorter ones! It has to be a demountable section in case of future problems with the point motors.

An interesting challenge to modify, build and try to use the kit even if ultimately this scenic area becomes something else.

RovRetsitingoptionsIMG_1852.jpg.42afe1385ef635d4fb624d71ad8e3332.jpg

RovRetsitingoptionIMG_1853copy.jpg.36c2a5e6df1ba75e8c91b972b870048f.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The replacement shorter bolts bought and the removable plate no longer has the two bolt ends protruding.

A very rough beta build and placement rules out the front facing outward - no room for any rear access (see photo one). It may be OK with the front facing into the layout with the trackside lane done as a rough surfaced bit of track. I will be doing other things now for a few days so will come back to it fresh. One other option may well be to model it half only with other adjustments to the fiddle yard screen.

BetbuidRovRetIMG_1856.jpg.2bb711a309484cc8a5c0b3dedaa593d0.jpg

BetaplaceRRetIMG_1857.jpg.aa2bd87af02e9745d66ad10a74564b01.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Reason for lack of updates is that this project has been temporarily on hold as even in the partial stage above I could clearly see that it fails to fit the available space due to being over dominant. I do plan to finish it off though just as simple bit of modelling.

Edited by john new

• john new changed the title to A Kingsway Rovers Return build
  • RMweb Gold

A bit more on the beta build today. Glad it is just a quick beta build as I have made some errors where the instruction notes have confused me.  I suggest anyone building this looks at a lot of photos on line of the film set full size versions. What has confused me the most is the instruction image shows the Alley Wall piece on the left hand side looking from the front; however it isn't  long enough to be on either side. Something to work on perhaps printing the side with the wall wrap section twice.

Three more work in progress images including one showing the revised name. I used thinner than recommended card as this is the beta build, even with that I think it will need more stiffening pieces and corner brackets than in the original sheet. So far I like the kit but have noted areas where if I did decide to make this as a permanent layour building I would add extras or add pieces.

RovRetIMG_1942copy.jpg.9375ac7856c2a787c10a3685d85a7411.jpg

RovRetIMG_1943copy.jpg.4915cbfa7a3ff8b2d042ac794ea594c7.jpgRovRetIMG_1943copy.jpg.4915cbfa7a3ff8b2d042ac794ea594c7.jpg

RovRetIMG_1944copy.jpg.75ad944c9654232ca4e7f46a4bf20af6.jpg

• Like 1