MRJ 303

6 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Now look, will you just stop it - my dreams are bad enough already!

Here is a wholly irrelevant but distracting image to take our minds off nose-less modellers.

Bathsheba.jpeg.d7cd4950e6249f7c65d3d16549990f88.jpeg

Gad you've got me at it now...

Very nice - but Julie will forever be Bathsheba to  me!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Very nice - but Julie will forever be Bathsheba to  me!

Well yes, Oak hay, Bold wood be best we Stamp this sort of talk out Pennyways and get back to arguing about Troy trains.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Let me offer a different perspective.

Over here, I can wait until (at least) two more issues have been published before buying the "current" one at a newsagent - if it happens to be in stock. That would cost me the best part of $20 or GBP 10 a time.

Alternatively, I can take out an overseas subscription through British Railway Books (usual disclaimer) and receive every copy by air mail within two or three weeks of publication. It will arrive at my door securely packaged in a sealed plastic bag that is itself contained in a stout cardboard envelope. That costs about 50% more.

Which option do I choose? What do you think?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Let me offer a different perspective.

Over here, I can wait until (at least) two more issues have been published before buying the "current" one at a newsagent - if it happens to be in stock. That would cost me the best part of $20 or GBP 10 a time.

Alternatively, I can take out an overseas subscription through British Railway Books (usual disclaimer) and receive every copy by air mail within two or three weeks of publication. It will arrive at my door securely packaged in a sealed plastic bag that is itself contained in a stout cardboard envelope. That costs about 50% more.

Which option do I choose? What do you think?

You could move to Bath. (But that would involve a lot of wasted layout construction time so maybe you should stay where you are and see which distributor will give you Air Miles on MRJ delivery?)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Trying to get this thread back on a more serious level (apart from the genuine seriousness of getting MRJ to upside-down-land) I rather like the new cover design, very tasteful.

However there does.appear to be a glitch or knowledge gap in the design system - like this -

No 300. NERegion cover photo subject, cover LMRegion maroon (more or less)

No.301. L&Y  cover photo subject, cover ScR pale blue,

No.302.  GWR (I think?) cover photo subject, cover SR green (of one sort)

No. 303.  BR SR cover photo subject, cover NERegion tangerine(ish)

So clearly there there seems to be a lack of cover colour block matching the cover photo - a seemingly odd livery error.   And unlike, say, missing rivets or the wrong number of spokes on a driving wheel, this profound livery mismatch seems to have passed totally unnoticed.  Clearly the printer has a quite wide colour palette available and when searching the hidden copies in the local branch of WHS a suitable choice of colour would more quickly give me a hint of what is in the magazine - although I would still buy of course. 

This sort of thing might not matter to many people and some of us are quite happy to run 4mm scale models on 16.5mm gauge track but could the publisher and designer perhaps pay attention to some of our sensibilities when it conmes to liveries etc, please?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Well yes, Oak hay, Bold wood be best we Stamp this sort of talk out Pennyways and get back to arguing about Troy trains.

How many of us had Far From the Madding Crowd as our Eng. Lit. O level novel?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not me, although I've since read and enjoyed it.  Being a contrary teen it would probably have put me off for life, whereas I now love Thomas Hardy, George Eliot and all those I escaped as a yoof 😎

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Terry and Julie

I glanced at that and read "Terry and June"

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Huckleberry Finn (and the Merchant of Venice). I failed.

• Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Waterloo Station every Friday night...

A wonderful song that so evokes the very special atmosphere that Waterloo station had in the 60s. Bullied Pacific's at the buffer stops, the airbrakes and compressors of the electric sets and the lady station announcers voice echoing around the roof - a magical place!  I'm convinced that Ray Davies was a Southern fan as it was released just a few weeks before the end of steam - but I'm not sure what all this has to do with MRJ 303 though!

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I've not a clue what my Eng Lit set book was.  For many reasons, that period in my life is now safely locked away in the vault of Forgetfulness...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

A wonderful song that so evokes the very special atmosphere that Waterloo station had in the 60s. Bullied Pacific's at the buffer stops, the airbrakes and compressors of the electric sets and the lady station announcers voice echoing around the roof - a magical place!  I'm convinced that Ray Davies was a Southern fan as it was released just a few weeks before the end of steam - but I'm not sure what all this has to do with MRJ 303 though!

And the loud clatter of the mechanical Destination Boards.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

"Troilus and Cressida" for Eng. Lit. A level. I gave up and did Technical Drawing A level instead (much more useful)! 😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Tomorrow pencilled in to get a copy from my "local" newsvendor....

Got it!

Now slated for an initial read through this afternoon, with a muggatea and something called a "Portugese Custard Tart"...

Edited by Hroth
Updated...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/05/2024 at 19:39, Kylestrome said:

"Troilus and Cressida" for Eng. Lit. A level. I gave up and did Technical Drawing A level instead (much more useful)! 😁

Me too.  Technical Drawing has been very good for me.

• Like 1